Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion: 21st May 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting!

Electricity went off for about 10 mins after some cg lightening. It's gone very quiet....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

its all gone quiet now light rain a few rumbles in the distance, car and house alarms are doing my head in though

Posted

woken up at 7am to my daughter telling me she could hear thunder.didn't last long really.all very still and quiet feels like we could get more in darlington? or has it passed now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

woken up at 7am to my daughter telling me she could hear thunder.didn't last long really.all very still and quiet feels like we could get more in darlington? or has it passed now

no its defo not passed they should be a lot more to come once this main band passes through the region, with a lot of showers developing because of a trough further south and all these should head north, Hopefully lol 

Posted

Torro have just released their take on today

TORRO SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 2013/001

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH has been issued at 07:50GMT on Tuesday 28th June 2013

Valid from/until: 07:50 - 03:00GMT on Tuesday 23rd July/Wednesday 24th July 2013, for the following regions of the United Kingdom & Eire:
Parts of (see map)

Much of central and northern England

E Anglia

Much of Scotland

THREATS

Hail to 3-4cms diameter; wind gusts to 60mph; cloud-ground lightning; isolated tornadoes

SYNOPSIS

Moisture plume characterised by high dewpoints/precipitable water values is across the watch area. Numerous showers and thunderstorms, associated with an upper trough, are ongoing across parts of the area, with frequent lightning, heavy rain, gusty winds, and isolated large hail possible. Through the morning, these should continue to drift generally northwards.

Some additional development is likely across northern parts of England and Scotland through today, with a continuing risk of hail/wind - storm organisation into lines is possible, with a low but non-zero risk of storm rotation. An isolated tornado cannot be ruled out with any surface-based storms.

Some clearing in the wake of this activity may allow surface heating to develop across portions of the Midlands and into E Anglia later this morning and into this afternoon, allowing CAPEs to reach around 2000 J/Kg. With 0-6km shear of around 30 knots, well-organised multicells with large hail and damaging winds are possible. A tornado cannot be ruled out, especially where any cell-mergers allow favourable low-level vorticity to be ingested.
Storm chase 2012 tour 4
Arizona Desert Monsoon Chasing 2012
  • [*]

Posted

okay thank you. sounds silly but you can almost feel it building.everything has gone still and a little darker..we shall see hope no power cuts a good few people reporting them around here this mornin!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well that was a right thunderstorm a number of roads around Darlo have temporary flooding due to the intensity of it

Posted

what time did it start summer sun ,i think i may have slept through some of it.what i heard was not that bad just a few rumble.s seemed more lightning than anything else.

Posted

what time did it start summer sun ,i think i may have slept through some of it.what i heard was not that bad just a few rumble.s seemed more lightning than anything else.

The thunder woke me up at around 07:30 then the heavens opened around 07:40

Lots of intense rain on the radar this morning (what we had is in the north sea now)

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

okay thank you. sounds silly but you can almost feel it building.everything has gone still and a little darker..we shall see hope no power cuts a good few people reporting them around here this mornin!

what areas were the powercuts jennyifer, might explain all the alarms going off earlier

Posted

what areas were the powercuts jennyifer, might explain all the alarms going off earlier

I'm just off yarm road and there has been no power cuts here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting!

Power cut for about 10 mins in Dl5 - there was a bright flash of lightening. Seemed to die after that. Hopeful for more to come. :-) makes a nice change to have some exciting weather for a change!

Posted

i live near barmpton lane we lost power on and off for about an hour this morning.i had noticed a few people on face book were complaining of power loss in and around here but not sure of there exact location. do you think we will get much more in the way of storms today? the rain must have been intense my friend had to wade her way to work lots of water on the road and roundabout near duke street darlington

Posted

i live near barmpton lane we lost power on and off for about an hour this morning.i had noticed a few people on face book were complaining of power loss in and around here but not sure of there exact location. do you think we will get much more in the way of storms today? the rain must have been intense my friend had to wade her way to work lots of water on the road and roundabout near duke street darlington

ive just asked the question to mathew hugo who i follow on twitter and is a meteorologist and his reply was, thunderstorms likely later today and into this evening for the north east of england, if you are on twitter follow him alot on here do

Posted

There is another area of heavy rain making its way north from Yorkshire now (at this stage it doesn't look as heavy as this morning but this could change) it should be moving into Richmond around 12:00pm

We've been in a dry window for almost 4 hours now but further rain looks likely within the next hour or so

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

There is another area of heavy rain making its way north from Yorkshire now (at this stage it doesn't look as heavy as this morning but this could change) it should be moving into Richmond around 12:00pm

We've been in a dry window for almost 4 hours now but further rain looks likely within the next hour or so

it seems to be losing alot of instensity that though as its moving north

Posted

it seems to be losing alot of instensity that though as its moving north

Yep yellows which were showing and now turning to Green we had enough rain this morning so its welcome to lose some intensity

Posted

Quite a pleasant day here now with some sunshine and a SE breeze.

Could be interesting later on though.Posted Image 

Posted

looking at the radar everything seems to be moving north east out to sea and nothing following on

Posted

A few spots in the air here in Darlo but the worst seems to be over for now at least less and less rainfall on the radar so it should be a quiet and muggy afternoon whether the sun can break through is another matter

Posted

A quite spell for the NE looks likely this afternoon I know we have some light rain overhead now but that will clear soon (next 15 minutes max I recon) and nothing else is following behind it

Posted Image

Posted

Flash flooding in the Darlington area as region is hit by thunderstorms

THUNDERSTORMS and flash floods have heralded the end of a three-week long heatwave - and the unsettled weather is expected to continue. Torrential rainfall caused problems in the Darlington area today (Tuesday, July 22), with the town’s Head of Steam railway museum forced to close after a morning deluge led to the elderly building springing a leak. Police had to help a van out of standing water that had flooded onto the town’s Whessoe Road and the West Auckland Road area of Darlington was also affected by flash floods – with Cockerton Primary School having to close for the day. In the afternoon the Met Office upgraded its flood warning for the North East from the lowest Yellow ‘be aware’ alert to its Amber ‘be prepared’ warning.

A Yellow warning is currently in place for tomorrow (Wednesday, July 23) as more heavy rain is expected. Forecaster Brendan Jones of MeteoGroup said: “The main threat is of flash flooding from localised but torrential rain, especially as the ground is so dry and solid it will not soak up the water very easily. “Another threat is from the frequency of the lightning bolts, which could come down to the ground and cause damage.†Forecasters say the overall trend for the rest of the week will see the UK gradually cool down, with a continuing risk of showers and thunderstorms.

By next week the temperatures are expected to settle in the low twenties

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/darlington/10566057.Thunderstorms_cause_flash_floods/