Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase Day 12 Discussion - Moderate Risk (OK/KS/MO/IL)

nsrobins

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I suspect that the death toll will rise from 24, but that is (thankfully) an extremely low total considering the strength, ferocity and path of this tornado. In fact I was astounded looking at the destructive path that the tornado took that the death toll is not many hundreds. And I suspect the reason for this are due to the fact that a number of homes will have had tornado shelters,and those that don't still follow a strict tornado path protocol to maximise their chances. On top of this there is both a very strong warning system, both prior to tornados occurring and also once there is a potentially tornadic storm developing which is relayed by many media outlets and tornado sirens. That has allowed many people to take action that has probably saved their lives. It is sad that not everyone was able to do this.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

I suspect that the death toll will rise from 24, but that is (thankfully) an extremely low total considering the strength, ferocity and path of this tornado. In fact I was astounded looking at the destructive path that the tornado took that the death toll is not many hundreds. And I suspect the reason for this are due to the fact that a number of homes will have had tornado shelters,and those that don't still follow a strict tornado path protocol to maximise their chances. On top of this there is both a very strong warning system, both prior to tornados occurring and also once there is a potentially tornadic storm developing which is relayed by many media outlets and tornado sirens. That has allowed many people to take action that has probably saved their lives. It is sad that not everyone was able to do this.

Indeed and I think the role of social media has greatly enhanced the dissemination of warnings. Within a few minutes of the cone hitting the ground my daughter's twitter feed was buzzing with messages. I can just imagine the texts and tweets and facebook messages and BBMs that went back and forth in the first 10 minutes of the tornado's life - several people took decisions on these that may of saved their lives.Also great news of the revised casualty numbers if it's true.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I have to say I am not that surprised by the downgrade in relation to the death toll. Looking back at footage, it is not actually that quickly moving (some tornadoes can travel upwards of 60mph!). What also helped is that the tornado wasn't particularly rainwrapped (unlike Joplin) and was well forecast (again, unlike Joplin). Add on to this OK is one of the most tornado-ready states in the US.

In respect of the tornado strength, I'm slightly contrary to the masses and would actually be quite surprised if it was rated at EF5 - there has been a lot of hype certainly coming from the US about it being on a par with the Joplin and 1999 OK City tornado, but the initial data being floated about seems to suggest it was some way short of being as powerful and intense as both those events (the 1999 OK City tornado tipped 300mph with Joplin estimated at up to 250mph). Based on the footage, I would expect it to be on a close footing with the Tuscaloosa, AL tornado in 2011 which was eventually classified as an EF4 - will be interesting to see what the official analysis is. 

Either way, semantics and statistics wont change the fact it's yet another devastating tornado which has destroyed a lovely town.

Posted

Just listening to an interview with the staff of that medical centre that was largely destroyed, their quick actions seem to have saved numerous lives. First they moved the patients to the safest part of the structure knowing it would be hit from the west. They must have had only 10-15 minutes at most to do that. Then a number of the staff were blown down the length of a corridor from the impacted side where the walls collapsed, and none of those people were killed or even seriously hurt, they apparently got up after about a minute of being blown down this hallway, and "dusted themselves off" as one witness was saying.

From the damage and storm footage I've seen on TV, would agree it's probably more F4 than F5, but when you get up into that range, the casualty tolls can be almost the same even if large buildings perhaps show different outcomes, everything else is pretty much swept away. Seems almost miraculous that the death toll is not far higher, shows how aware those people are, I can only imagine if one of those storms hit a city unfamiliar with tornado risks.

Posted

A very tragic event but surely also a predictable one giving that the city lies in a tornado prone area. So why so many wooden buildings? Brick structures were damaged but most remain standing in some form whereas the wooden houses are gone. If it was a 3rd world country you could understand it but its the richest nation on earth? In Earthquake zones buildings are built to withstand once in a hundred or more year event, why not in tornado alley where these hit every year and kill people consistantly?

I saw one guy give a interview on Sky today, his house was gone, nothing left but his brick built garage had only minor damage to its roof? I wonder how many more people should be alive today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

ive always wondered why they dont build more in brick, but to be honest would that be able to with stand a f4 f5 tornado im not sure,

Must be down to cost to build rebuild, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

ive always wondered why they dont build more in brick, but to be honest would that be able to with stand a f4 f5 tornado im not sure,

Must be down to cost to build rebuild, 

That's always been my assumption.  Terrible events, though - feeling for the people affected and bereaved.

Posted

So, to repeat what i asked earlier - why do certain areas of the US that are at risk from these events continue to expand?

Why is OK still where it is?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

So, to repeat what i asked earlier - why do certain areas of the US that are at risk from these events continue to expand?Why is OK still where it is?

its just not practical to move a city somewhere else or not letting people live were they wont to live but you could say the same about florida and the gulf coast the risk from hurricanes or alaska from snow and ice storms and the list goes on

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Incredible footage from a Mr Charles Gafford as he took refuge in his storm shelter in Moore Oklahoma, he literately just stuck his camcorder through a small hole and shot the tornado as it passed by.

That is incredible footage

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It is indeed. Thanks, NL...

Posted

omg how brave was he to video it and the noise wow i put my headphones into my laptop to listen to it to get a better understanding how noisy it was, and it just goes to show how large it was over 2 mins to pass through,

Posted

Tornado rated as EF5 from NWS Oklahoma.

Fast Facts

• [*]A rating of
EF-5 has been given to the tornado that affected the Newcastle, south OKC, and Moore areas in McClain and Cleveland Counties. [*]The tornado had.a path length of approximately 17 miles and was on the ground for approximately 40 minutes from 2:56 PM - 3.26 PM CDT. [*]The preliminary maximum path width is 1.3 miles

SURVEY SUMMARY: EXPERTS SURVEYING IN MOORE HAVE DETERMINED DAMAGE IS
EF5 WITH MAXIMUM WINDS OVER 200 MPH. FOUR SURVEY TEAMS CONTINUE TO
INSPECT DAMAGE FROM THIS LONG TRACK TORNADO. INITIAL DAMAGE WAS
FOUND AROUND 4.4 MILES WEST OF NEWCASTLE...SOUTH OF TECUMSEH ROAD
ALSO KNOWN AS NW 16TH STREET AND EAST LAKE ROAD. THE TORNADO TRACKED
NE TO THE INTERSTATE 44 BRIDGE OVER THE CANADIAN RIVER AND THEN TOOK
A MORE EASTWARD TRACK THROUGH MOORE. TORNADO DAMAGE ABRUPTLY ENDS
0.3 MILES EAST OF AIR DEPOT ROAD AND N OF SE 134TH ST.

Edited by Stuart Robinson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thanks Stuart.

I am a bit surprised I have to say, looking forward to learning more from the ongoing analysis!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

looks to be a derecho forming in the centre of that line to me - the book end cell to the south also going up rapidly, but I don't think its going to go tornadic - interesting though that winds are southerly to the bottom of that cell

cheers, Samos :)

edit - sorry - wrong thread all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Blimey so they have rated it an EF5, i think that makes this the 7th F5/EF5 to strike the state since 1950 if i'm not mistaken. Ties with Alabama i believe now for the most for a state as well now. 

Posted

its just not practical to move a city somewhere else or not letting people live were they wont to live but you could say the same about florida and the gulf coast the risk from hurricanes or alaska from snow and ice storms and the list goes on

yeah i knowi cant understand why some of the main settlements in the US grew so much in its early years.

Posted

Well look at it this way, there have probably been over one billion people alive at some point in the U.S.A. and so far about 10,000 have died in tornadoes and perhaps 25,000 in hurricanes, maybe a similar number in floods. Even if my numbers are too conservative the total would not be much in excess of 100,000, which is .01% of one billion. As another reader noted, more people have died on the road or probably in acts of violence. So in proportion, these weather risks don't seem that high as people plan where to live. Being weather conscious I would feel uneasy living in tornado alley, but when I lived in Ontario where people sometimes die in violent storms, it was never really on my mind that this could happen.

Posted

Well look at it this way, there have probably been over one billion people alive at some point in the U.S.A. and so far about 10,000 have died in tornadoes and perhaps 25,000 in hurricanes, maybe a similar number in floods. Even if my numbers are too conservative the total would not be much in excess of 100,000, which is .01% of one billion. As another reader noted, more people have died on the road or probably in acts of violence. So in proportion, these weather risks don't seem that high as people plan where to live. Being weather conscious I would feel uneasy living in tornado alley, but when I lived in Ontario where people sometimes die in violent storms, it was never really on my mind that this could happen.

Not forgetting that heat is probably the biggest natural killer in the US.For example the Chicago heat wave of 1995 when over 700 perished. Not that that alters the point to are making.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

This is video footage I shot from Moore on Monday as the tornado approached. We bailed on the tornado from our first location and picked up the family of a chase partner whose house was not far from the eventual path. Footage continues as we drive away from their house and get to a safe point south whilst it passes. (The house was spared with the path going a mile north but lots of debris littered the area). Listen for the roar of the tornado from 3 and half minutes in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

So, to repeat what i asked earlier - why do certain areas of the US that are at risk from these events continue to expand?Why is OK still where it is?

I think you have to remember that many areas have benefits that outweigh the very small risk of being hit by a tornado, this applies not only to the American mid-West but to a whole range of other hazardous locations around the world. Remember the mid-West has fertile plains that are great for rearing animals or growing huge areas of crops. The growing population of the coastal areas of America would have needed those areas for food production initially and this has continued to the present day. Oklahoma itself was largely a European settlers destination (as was much of the Mid-West) and I didn't know this but apparently it was under French rule until 1803! Cattle drives from Kansas to Texas used to take place through the region, also many Native Americans were resettled in Oklahoma. Later on Oklahoma became a focal point for the oil industry as oil was discovered, and it's the second highest producer of natural gas in the USA. It's also famous for its aerospace industry (10% of its industrial output) and tyre production, as well as having a fast-growing Biotech sector.

There are many reasons why people would continue to settle in that area, as far as I can see. There's a rich history there, you can find out a lot by reading round on the Web.

It's rather like asking why do people settle at the foot of active volcanoes (super-fertile soil) or live in active earthquake zones (often great mineral resources). The benefits can outweigh the risks for most of the time until one fateful day it all gets swept away, but even then, people come back and start over.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I've just seen this on Facebook and thought I would share on here:

To all my friends in radio, television, and fellow storm spotters who broadcast live from the field during dangerous weather- thank you. Thank you for making the difference in the lines of communication that relay critical information during emergency and disaster situations. 

This clip was released by Gaylord Hall Productions and details the life saving efforts that occurred in and around the Oklahoma City area on May 20th of this year.

My personal experience working with these folks this day was nothing short of exemplary. Our live shot was displayed on The Weather Channel as this story broke, just before the tornado moved through much of the metro area. Both the national broadcasters that I worked with (The Weather Channel and CBS News) and the local stations in Oklahoma City area we saw did an amazing job.

The video was hard to watch, at times, as it reminded me of the challenges we faced. However, I think the number of folks who were injured and killed was less because of the broadcasts and rescues done that day. 

You can see our white Ford Explorer (next to a police car and black SUV) on the right side of the aerial shot in the damage path starting at 2:18 in the video.

Thanks to Randy Walton and Angela Nicol, my team on the ground, for their work this incredible day- and to all the first responders I met from the Moore, OK police and fire departments. Your work will never be forgotten.

http://vimeo.com/69481462