Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Camera kit

CycloneGail

Posted

Hi guys, well I'm starting to get myself organised and was just wondering what camera gear (as in lenses) would be best  to bring with me.

I have an Olympus OMD-E5 camera with the following lenses:

12-50mm weatherproof (this is definitely coming) (35mm equivalent is 24-100)

14-150mm ultra zoom (28 - 300mm equivalent)

12mm f.20 super wide prime (24mm equivalent)

and a novelty 15mm body cap lens (this was a freebie) 

Hoping these will cover all possibilities for photos?

Cheers

Gail

Posted

I'm no expert, and I'm sure the others will give a more informed view, but I'd have though the wider the better in most instances - although portability in terms of getting in and out of the car etc is another consideration.

Posted

For the storms you probably won't want anything longer than 100mm or thereabouts. But a longer zoom can be good to get tight crops of the Clouds.

For down days the longer lens may be good for wildlife pictures.

For storms also you should have a tripod and ideally a remote trigger for those lightning shots.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

The top posts have covered most things you need but I would also include an extra battery as a must for me 

Posted

Thanks everyone. Already have a remote shutter release and a spare battery as well (may get another one just in case) and think I'll try and pick up a tripod at Walmart when I get stateside rather than carrying one across the Pacific.

Posted

Gail, one question.

What do you propose to store all those photo's on to take home?

You will need something to store all those shots on, unless you have major quanities of cards for the camera.

Also need to ensure you have means to charge the camera, I always take a 6 way extension UK lead so I can get everything charging quickly once we stop.(Unless your power conenctors are US style in which case no problem).

Posted

I'm bringing my Macbook Air with me and will also have a 1TB portable hard drive that I can offload onto as well as a couple of reasonable capacity memory cards for the camera.

We have different power cord ends to both the US and UK but I already have the US adaptor for my Mac so that should be ok and am also planning on picking up a US cord for my camera battery charger when I get to Seattle prior to arriving in Denver for Tour 5.

• Like 1

Posted

What have people done previously regarding tripods?

I read somewhere that some people were planning on buying one from Walmart instead of carrying one on the flight. Has anyone done this? How much did you spend?

If anyone on the current tour has done this and doesn't want to carry it back to Blighty perhaps I could buy it from you as I am on tour 4. You could just leave it with Paul and I could pay you electronically. Just a thought...

• 11 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced external microphone to go with the Canon 600D. The ability to film during windy conditions using a deadcat is a must :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain
Cheers for that. I've ordered on on Amazon which has pretty good reviews and comes with a Deadcat. Wind noise could be a nightmare so have played safe.