Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Manmade Climate Change Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Why are the deniers so pleased that Thwaites is far more unstable than we previously thought? I do not get it? 2m of sea level rise is still 2m even if nature gives a hand in delivering it?

If studies had found a mysterious natural ice machine gluing Thwaites to its bed then that would be cause for celebration? Finding a mechanism that leaves the bed on water, and so far more unstable a liable to rapid flow, is surely bad news?

Posted

Interests, Ideology and the Climate Denial Machine

Paul Krugman has an interesting op-ed in Sunday’s New York Times entitled “Interests, Ideology & Climate.†In this commentary, Krugman argues that the current campaign to deny climate change is steeped more in political ideology than in industry-funded opposition.

http://ecowatch.com/2014/06/10/interests-ideology-climate-denial-machine-koch/

Posted

Remember this "Scientists predicted a permanent EL Nino they said this in 1997 yet another failed climate change prediction :nonono:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/25433.stm

Sometimes I wonder what the folk over on that thread do with their time? We have studies showing the trades working overtime to pile the water on the far side of the pacific , feeding cyclones like last years super with cyclone feeding heat down over 100m and yet it does nothing to their mentality?

What is the end result of this pacific warm pool esp. if our best forecasting for enso is thwarted each time a nino begins to form? How wide/long does that warm pool need become before the top 200m of the equatorial Pacific is above Nino thresholds I wonder?

They are keen on the 'novel nino that centre in the mid Pacific but how long until the sheer size of the positive anoms tips modiki into nino???

It's the same with Antarctica. they cannot follow through to the logical end of the process they are witnessing.

I worry that when the worst of AGW begins to show they will shrug and say " Who'd have thought it?".......... 

Posted

Posted

I think modern environmentalism owes a great deal to this woman. And this has been recognised by many scientists over the years. I feel this cannot be disputed.

post-12275-0-27242300-1402956662_thumb.j

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

I'm sure the lady above would have approved.

Global Wind Day Celebrates Wind Energy as Major Player Worldwide

http://desmogblog.com/2014/06/16/global-wind-day-celebrates-wind-energy-major-player-worldwide

If she saw windmills being paid not to turn .. as many around here recently .. would she really approve ?

Edited by be cause

Posted

If she saw windmills being paid not to turn .. as many around here recently .. would she really approve ?

Yes we know the downside but one can understand the surge in China when one considers their pollution problems.

Posted

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76448-scepticism-of-man-made-climate-change/page-67#entry2990461

Funny that GW supporters over the years always mention the reduction of global sea ice as a sign of climate change ,but they been very quiet the last few years,with global sea ice higher than one standard deviation at this time, http://sunshinehours...dard-deviation/

I asked myself one simple question when I read the above. Is it indicative of your mindset, and others, that you use the word 'supporters' of global warming?

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

From the feedback I must admit to being quite surprised, I thought the next observation would have been that the GW supporters movement had it's roots in Nazi Germany. Oh well.....................

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76448-scepticism-of-man-made-climate-change/page-67#entry2990461

I asked myself one simple question when I read the above. Is it indicative of your mindset, and others, that you use the word 'supporters' of global warming?

Cos they can't distinguish between science-based opinion and the reasons behind supporting Man United?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

• Like 2

Posted

Willard get's an award.

Awards Night

I would like to let all my readers know that tomorrow night is awards night at the Starlight Ballrooms, Las Paranoias (off junction 3 of the M25).  The night is being organised by the Non-International Commission On Denying Science (NICODS) and is their 0th annual awards evening.  Remember that evening wear is required and there is a vegetarian option if you don't want the chicken in a basket.

http://ingeniouspursuits.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/awards-night.html

• Like 2

Posted

Goddard's US blog "REAL SCIENCE"  saves the day!... :rofl:  Again slatting NOAA is just not on, With obviously no understanding of human input's what-so-ever, And also unwilling to explain in any detail only to say "fiddled".

The Real Global Warming Disaster. But now another damning example has been uncovered by Steven Goddard’s US blog Real Science, showing how shamelessly manipulated has been one of the world’s most influential climate records, the graph of US surface temperature records published by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

"I concluded, must be looked on not as science at all, but as simply a rather alarming case study in the aberrations of group psychology."      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/10916086/The-scandal-of-fiddled-global-warming-data.html

Best get back to Science School then Christopher!

• Like 1

Posted

"Waiting to get all these final, crucial facts could prevent countries from making very costly mistakes on how they manage fossil energy resources over the coming century".   :shok: 

Ross McKitrick is a Professor of Environmental Economics at the University of Guelph.  

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/06/16/the-global-warming-hiatus/

Posted

Turning point: Al Gore’s new hope

Al Gore has written an impressive long article in Rolling Stone magazine. I read it with gratitude and wanted to recommend it to others. It’s a highly readable text packed with rich detail which reflects the wide spectrum across which Gore operates and the considerable intelligence which informs his thinking. It deserves wide readership.

http://hot-topic.co.nz/turning-point-al-gores-new-hope/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+co%2FRbRF+%28Hot+Topic%29

• Like 2

Posted

Unique and unnatural: modern warming from an historical viewpoint

Our climate has changed before. It’s something most of us realise and can agree on and, according to Skeptical Science, it’s currently the most used argument against human-caused warming. If such changes have happened naturally before, the argument goes, then surely today’s warming must also be natural. It’s an appealing idea, with an instinctively ‘right’ feel. Nature is so huge compared to us puny humans, how can we alter its course? The warming we’re measuring today must just be a natural fluctuation.

http://simpleclimate.wordpress.com/2014/06/22/unique-and-unnatural-modern-warming-from-an-historical-viewpoint/

Posted

This graphic shows temperatures in South/East Asia recorded during the first week of June, When a massive heat wave struck. The colours show temperatures compared to the yearly average for this week; dark red areas were at least 12°C above the yearly average. http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=83897

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

A fine article by Mr G. ( IMHO) Knocks?

Maybe the style is a thing we might adopt here? Whilst accepting of the costs that organised denial has brought with it the tide has turned ( with more than a little help from the changing climate) to one where action is now gaining momentum and appears unstoppable?

Due to the 'tit for tat' nature of the climate debate ( facilitated by the Paid misleaders tactic of answering every post on climate change with a denial post) it can only ever become 'circular'?  Ignoring 'the anoyance' might be a way of allowing the conversation to move forward.

Posted

Aussies increasingly rallying against its own governments position on climate change, as environmental programs are dismantled and our PM continues to embarrass the nation on the world stage.

Key findings include: 

• 70 per cent of Australians think that climate change is occurring, up 10 points from 2012. An overwhelming majority (89 per cent) of those think that we are feeling the impacts already.
  • 61  per cent want Australia to be a leader in climate solutions, up 9 points from 2012 and on the upturn for a second consecutive year after the low points in 2012.
  • The Federal government is seen as most responsible for addressing climate change, but its performance is ranked very low, with a net negative -18 rating, even lower than in 2012 during the toxic political battles over carbon pricing.
  • Only 20 per cent trust Tony Abbott when he says he is concerned about addressing climate change, in contrast to 53 per cent who do not, including 37 per cent who strongly distrust the Prime Minister. A net negative rating of -33.
  • Opposition Leader Bill Shorten is also in net negative territory, but at just -1. Around 31 per cent trust Bill Shorten when he says he is concerned about climate change, while 32 per cent do not trust him. 
  • 57 per cent think that the Abbott Government should take climate change more seriously.
  • For the first time, more Australians support the carbon pricing laws than oppose them. Over a third (34 per cent) say they support the laws, up 6 points from 2012. Opposition is down 22 points from 2012. 
  • 47 per cent now think that carbon pricing is better than taking no action, up 8 points from 2012. Support for the government’s proposed replacement “Direct Action†plan is low at 22 per cent
  • 70 per cent agree tackling climate change creates economic opportunities and support for renewable energy is strong and resilient in the face of escalating attacks.
  • 71 per cent want the Renewable Energy Target to be at least 20 per cent by 2020, or higher, even when they are presented with the argument that the RET is a subsidy that drives up consumer energy bills. Only 11 per cent think the RET should be exactly 20 per cent.
  • 76 per cent think that state government should be putting in place incentives for more renewable energy, like wind farms. More regional Australians agree (79 per cent) than metropolitan (74 per cent).
  • 82 per cent of Australians choose solar in their top three energy sources, 64 per cent choose wind, while coal (15 per cent) is even less popular than nuclear (20 per cent). Some 28 per cent have gas in their top three.

http://www.climateinstitute.org.au/articles/media-releases/australians-are-no-climate-dinosaurs-as-support-for-action-evolves-poll.html

• Like 2