Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Glastonbury Wed 26 to Sun 30 June 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

As John says, there are plenty if people who really appreciate Julian's work ahead of Glasto.

I'm not there this year but have been to the past three festivals and Jackone's forecasts are now part of the traditional build-up.

The efestivals weather thread hangs on his every word and I know from their comments over there how much they appreciate his efforts.

Sounds like the mud is now compacting, it will provide the springy surface that's actually quite pleasant to walk on. :)

Dear jackone,

A message from a big group of us here, just to say thank you for every thing. Yes it did rain 10mm, but you warned it might and we got prepared. It's now drying out very quickly and will be dry by tomorrow morning. So that's most of the festival dry, in fact about 70% so you right all along! Thank again from a quickly drying glastonbury

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

I think it's fair to say the weather ain't too bad! Looks amazing today, that Wednesday/Thursday rain was just a little gag from the weather gods! :)

• Like 1

I've been every year since 2008, and I would say this year had the best weather so far. Although 2010 was totally dry festival, Sat/Sun afternoons then were just too hot (high 20s C) and it was impossible to find shade. This year, the Thursday rain was a minor inconvinience, but had the benefit of turning the busy areas into polished marble surfaces and smoothing the entire site, and Sat/Sun were stunning. The only slight loss was that there were no sunsets this year, and the wind picked up each evening and was chilly, but overall you couldnt ask for much more.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Got back today at 2 pm. We were on site Sunday afternoon (23rd June) to earlyish this morning (Tuesday 2nd July).

Apols for lack of onsite updates from my friend paolo, but he was very busy with Arcadia photography and other photos in SE corner. But I now see North.West was posting anyway.

Overall we were were pretty lucky weren't we? Only 2 bad days -- Sunday 23rd June when very strong winds were blowing (pretty chilly too, in the wind), we had a nightmare putting up our very large tent in the afternoon. And then of course Thursday from the afternoon onwards. R**n between about 3 pm and 11 pm , with some morre overnight after that. But it was never serious-downpour heavy, most of the time light, even patchy at points, only occasionally moderate and the mud was easily dealable with -- thin, and nowhere near all over the site. And the combination of a good breeze and warm sun on Friday dried it all out very quickly.

All other days were excellent, to get through such a long period with so much dry weather, and a fair amount of warm sunshine too, was pretty good going. The heat averse could handle maxes of 18C to 21C, the mud averse were not troubled.

Oh yes and weather aside we had a thoroughly excellent festival (my 17th, my partner's 16th, and in both our cases our 5th on the crew). Will post on other sites about some of the many and various non weather aspects .....

Thanls again to JACKONE for all the good work.

• Like 2

It was a great festival one of the best (I still rate 1992 as the best weather wise) thanks for all the forecast build ups Jackone, thanks to you I left my wellies and despite the bit of rain and mud on thursday, had no problems at all ! 

Looking forward to the build up for next year...by then I reckon you'll be a celebrity!!!

• 7 months later...

Apologies for bouncing this thread up to the top, but I didn't want to be presumptious and start a new one.

The Glastonbury efests crew have been doing a bit of rejoicing over the prospect of the El Nino effect this year (2014).

Would anyone care to give an expert opinion of the guff being spouted by the papers?

Thanks

J

Edited by jeffie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Well as any El Nino is not now predicted until late 2014 if at all and the ENSO index has been hovering around neutral for some time and models don't show this changing anytime soon any talk of a super hot summer at this time is utter hogwash. Doesn't mean we might not get a 76 type summer but I bet if you polled those with real knowledge on here they wouldn't plump for hottest ever

Posted

If you scrub the usual rubbish headline the rest of the Mail article isn't bad. Try the ENSO thread for more detail.

Edited by knocker

• 3 weeks later...

How wet is the ground around Glastonbury at the moment, and could this have an impact on this summer's event.

I was very surprised to see how close the Somerset level flooding was to Glastonbury.

• 1 month later...

How wet is the ground around Glastonbury at the moment, and could this have an impact on this summer's event.

I was very surprised to see how close the Somerset level flooding was to Glastonbury.

Apparently it dried out nicely

If you scrub the usual rubbish headline the rest of the Mail article isn't bad. Try the ENSO thread for more detail.

Thanks for these responses, I will certainly have a look.

Is 30 days before a sensible time to start looking long rang?I have used this site for the last two glastos and would go be tempted to go for a jackone tattoo to show my respect

That to me is a bit freaky. :ninja: