Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Glastonbury Wed 26 to Sun 30 June 2013

Posted

Glastonbury 2013: Weather forecast

Gates are open but as first campers at Glastonbury 2013 arrive, they may face showers before the weekend sunshine

Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis said he believes the weather, combined with the line-up, means this year's festival will be "unusually good".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/glastonbury/10142886/Glastonbury-2013-Weather-forecast.html

Edited by Coast

Posted

I live about 7 miles from the festival although I'm not going....

Confusing weather reports at the moment. Met office local forecast says some rain tomorrow evening (Thursday) but video on same site says sun and 21C. Met also shows Azores High drifting away leaving cool cloudy weekend, but Weatheronline (which in my experience has been much more accurate over the years) shows the Azores High going further north, with slightly warmer weather as a result.

All very muddling - guess you just go for it!

http://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4645-glastonbury-forecast-20-26th-june/

There is no question the charts have become less good over the past few days. Most notably for tomorrow, some moderate rainfall can be expected and that is potential troublesome, in any case any dampness should dry out quickly given the dry ground and the remainder of the festival looking dry. 

Despite synoptically not looking as good for the weekend, conditions should not be too bad, dry and bright and getting better as each dry progresses, also overnight temps are not likely to be too low either.

Famous again Jackone!

Any news on that possible rain? How were the latest charts?

Cheers again for everything.

Dan

If the forecast goes wrong, I'll become infamous. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm wind & salty air

Neen a really lovely day here today. Not a drop of rain at all. Warm, cloudy a lovely afternoon. Temps really dip down at night, it was about 7deg at 5am.

Just another lurker wanting to say thankyou to Jackone and the others who have posted Glasto forecasts in this thread Posted Image

This is a very important time for those of us going...Glasto is more than just a weekend away, it's a very special time, adn we need good weather!

It is disappointing to me, the the forecast today a few days was a bit out, but the models did originially say the rain would only skim the area at worse.

Latest prospects -

NAE suggests around 6-8mm (most of this falling between 3-6pm)

NMM suggests around 2-5mm (most of this falling between 3-6pm)

NMM tends to weaken the font a lot more as it moves south.

Now a case of radar watching, but the front appears several hrs early, (about 3-4 hrs), and looks a bit further east then the models originally suggested.

http://www.netweather.tv/radar

• Like 1

It is disappointing to me, the the forecast today a few days was a bit out, but the models did originially say the rain would only skim the area at worse.

Latest prospects -

NAE suggests around 6-8mm (most of this falling between 3-6pm)

NMM suggests around 2-5mm (most of this falling between 3-6pm)

NMM tends to weaken the font a lot more as it moves south.

Now a case of radar watching, but the front appears several hrs early, (about 3-4 hrs), and looks a bit further east then the models originally suggested.

http://www.netweather.tv/radar

These amounts are what you suggested a few days ago, so not a huge change. Still blue/ hazzy on webcams..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/festivals/glastonbury/webcam/

I am on the edge of the front, and there is hazy sunshine here, which is not something you expect in advance of a front, normally there would be dark low clouds by now.

The NMM suggests the rain will fade as it pushes south, and my guess is the rain will fade after is passes over the Welsh mountains.

https://twitter.com/fergieweather

Yesterday Ian Fergusson (BBC Points West forecaster) yesterday tweeted,  "likely rain totals later Thurs & Thurs night 5-10mm (enough to somewhat mud-up areas with greatest footfall). "

and tweeted today  " Risk of patchy light rain at Wimbledon this evening is now 60pc x" and 100% at #glasto, me thinks, Carol!!  "

also today " Rain arrival at Pilton expected circa 3-5pm onwards, turning moderately heavy at times into this evening. "

Back to my opinion.

The rain band is somewhat fragmented, if some fo the heavier bursts hit, then 10mm is just about possible, otherwise closer to or around 5mm is possible.

My guess is that 5mm is closer to what Glastonbury will get.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

It started raining in Bristol about 3ish, heading home which is about 7 miles away from Pilton, it rained all the way and is still coming down now. It's very light, if it continues like this, I doubt it will cause any problems on site - in all likelihood, it will probably do some good and be just enough to damp down the dust. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It's been lightly raining with occasional heavier periods for a couple of hours on site now.. any idea how much longer it will last? it's not muddy yet but it would be good if it stopped soon! (already in my wellies tho).

It's been lightly raining with occasional heavier periods for a couple of hours on site now.. any idea how much longer it will last? it's not muddy yet but it would be good if it stopped soon! (already in my wellies tho).

I think the hope was around 7, but who knows...keep us informed of the state of the sight..

Remember even if it's muddy, it should, as usual, dry out in 24 hours (at most) as long as there's no more significant top ups...

Latest Blog now published, this is today's full version, good model agreement now so less point in waiting for 12Hz runs.

http://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4646-glastonbury-forecast-21-27th-june/

blogentry-213-0-79916700-1372350093_thum 5.10

post-213-0-42405200-1372350429_thumb.jpg 4.15

Free Glastonbury Radar http://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/premium.pl?action=radarv6;sess=15e6b621b68dfe2a3be341513d9ffd35

Earlier there seemed to be defined rain bands, these have broken up, but there is  quite a lot of drizzly rain in the offing, I'd be surpised in this clears within the next 2 hrs and it could go on a lot longer than that.

Total Rainfall so far at Glastonbury today approx 3mm.

Edited by Jackone

Posted

Currently raining. Started about 3, persistant steady rain. Puddles forming, muddy patches especially in areas of high foot traffic. The site is very well prepared with lots of tracks, gravel in areas. People wearing coats, ponchos and wellies. The main thing for me is the air temp, its about 12deg and feels chilly.

Before the festival, I was very much concerned about pre festival rain, which didn't come and a few days ago, the models didn't really forecast this, a bit of a shame really. 

Total Site Rainfall 5-6mm

post-213-0-58678200-1372358284_thumb.jpg

However more to come.

post-213-0-82223100-1372358292_thumb.jpg

However it does look later days and things should dry out (hopefully).

Latest Site conditions (and atmosphere etc) - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2013/jun/27/glastonbury-2013-festival-liveblog-thursday1

Edited by Jackone

Posted

We have shallow mud pretty much everywhere now and I'm sat in my tent listening to light rain on and off at the moment. Hopefully things will clear up now!... some warm sunshine should see the site dry up quickly... or are we in for more rain this morning?

Posted

Damp Glastonbury gets under way

Posted Image

The Glastonbury Festival starts in earnest today, as the main musical programme gets under way. Acts on the opening day include Rita Ora, Chic, Dizzee Rascal and headliners Arctic Monkeys.Drummer Matt Helders told the BBC the band would "have some fun" with their set. By Thursday evening, 118,000 ticket holders were on site - giving Worthy Farm in rural Somerset a population about the same size as Chester. Another 62,000 people are due to arrive by the time the festival is fully underway. The three-day event caters to all tastes, with cutting-edge dance acts Skrillex and Rudimental rubbing shoulders with veteran entertainers like Kenny Rogers and Sir Bruce Forsyth. 

As tradition dictates, the site was drenched with rain on Thursday. What was forecast as a short, sharp shower turned into an all-day deluge. It did little to dampen spirits, however. Revellers either retreated to indoor arenas or made the most of the sludge - creating impromptu mud slides and assault courses around the 900-acre site.

Posted

From one tent to another.....Hi Pipine ,*waves*

..... Currently very muddy underfoot. Air temp warm, 17deg. Sky full of clouds, wind blowing around.

If you are on your way, waterproofs and wellies... :-)

Looking at the radar around 10mm of rain fell in the past 24 hours.

post-213-0-94865200-1372409558_thumb.jpg

This is at the top end of the forecasts suggestde yesterday but more than I than I thought/was hoping for. Posted Image

For much of last week and at the start of this week, this were looking up, it is only the last few days that things have looked like going wrong. Perhaps in future I'll start doing the forecast 2 days in advance, perhaps then the models will get it right.

There will be a further final forecast for the weekend later today, but in one sense the damage has been done.

However it should dry out quite quickly with no further rain forecast. (hopefully in both senses)

Edited by Jackone

Posted

Ah it's all good fun anyway, about to see Francois and the Atlas Mountains open the John peel stage, it's really warm in the wind and the sun keeps poking its head out briefly.. The mud is already at the sticky stage so it'll be flattened down and dried out by the end of the day, still grass here at John peel where no-ones been walking.. :)

*waves* to north west :)

• Like 1

Posted

Don't feel to bad about things Julian you can only forecast using what the models show; it does look like mostly dry from now on and getting warmer with some sunshine. 10mm should soon be absorbed or flattened out and by this evening I doubt anyone will be too up tight about conditions underfoot.

I am sure, as with your ski forecasts, there are lots of folk who appreciate the time and effort that goes into them both.

Posted

The mud is getting flattened down nicely... already dry underfoot between John peel and pyramid stage.. sat on the grass in the hot sunshine at the pyramid now.. :) as if the rain never happened.. Kind of ;)

And Jackone, your efforts at pinning down the forecast is very much appreciated.. :)

• Like 1