Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Glastonbury Wed 26 to Sun 30 June 2013

Fantastico.

Latest Glasto Blog

http://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4642-glastonbury-forecast-17-23rd-june/

While not perfect, with the chance of some rain on Thursday into Friday, the majority of the festival will be dry, bright or sunny, and perhaps even turning Scorchio into the weekend. Certainly the risk of a weekend breakdown is receding fast .

Given the photos above, things are looking very good indeed for Glastonbury.

By the way, does everyone like the new blog format, designed to give more detailed forecast for each day as much a practically possible at this stage.

Edited by Jackone
  • Like 1

Just another long-time lurker who's finally got round to taking the plunge and registering. Just to echo all the other feedback Jackone - your hard work and dedication is greatly appreciated. These threads have become an essential part of my pre-festival warm up, and it easy to become somewhat obsessive about them! Not to mention I have learnt a lot in the process as well.Re the new blog format specifically - I think it's great.

Also a shout to those people who, this year and previously, have provided sit reps about on site ground conditions - they are invaluable.

The current forecast is, for me personally, what I would describe as perfect Glasto weather. There are many who will slap me down for it, but my opinion is that whilst 2010 type "scorchio" weather has it's pros in respect of ramping up the evening atmosphere at the festival, the days (before about 7pm) are somewhat unbearable when it's like that. In the same way you can't sit down anywhere when it's wet and muddy, you get everybody battling for any square inch of shade that can be found, and sun cream is not a pleasant addition to the festival routine. Middlin' conditions, whilst remaining largely dry, is the dream. Fingers crossed!

Keep up the great work all - and thanks so much.

Edited by Zippy
  • Like 1

Yes, I agree. Perfect festival weather. 2010 was too hot, tent was unbearable at 7.00 am and walking anywhere was hard work, as it was in 2011 but for opposite reasons. THis forecast is sounding very similar to 2009. Rained a bit thursday and friday morning and then was a mix of sun and cloud but not too hot.  If it stays as it is looking then should be a good one. Just praying that the 10.00 -midnight on saturday while the Stones are playing stays dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm wind & salty air

Here is the site this evening.......windy, chilly, ground has been damp during the day but the grass is long, luscious and green and the tracks are dry.

post-20460-0-78182200-1372025555_thumb.jpost-20460-0-05254000-1372025679_thumb.jpost-20460-0-04383300-1372025765_thumb.jpost-20460-0-92011500-1372025920_thumb.jpost-20460-0-50381300-1372026160_thumb.jpost-20460-0-21270400-1372026205_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

This morning brings sunshine, few clouds dotted about. Bring layers though if you are heading down, it's chilly. Currently about 10 deg, sun is warm. Grass is damp from dew.

It's a hive of activity, like an other worldly building site.

• Like 3

Hi

/delurks

I've been reading this for many years as a lurker and Jackone and all the other people providing sit reps, you are all great in helping most of us prepare for the festival, many thanks indeed from me and all my other friends that I keep updated from reading this site.

I agree that the weather is looking (for my money), close to perfect, I was melting in 2010 and 2011 was hard work. 20 - 22C in the daytime and not too cold at night (12C and above would be good) is the perfect temperature for Glastonbury. There is so little shade on the festival site that 30C heat is a bit much (2010 has 2,500 recorded cases of sunstroke!). 

It is also crucial that the site is dry because when a lot of the remaining crew and artists turn up Tuesday driving the vehicles on-site can start the mudbath rolling if its been wet. 

Thanks to all again and lets hope it is a dry festival!

http://m.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jun/24/glastonbury-festival-2013-weather-forecast-good

Another mention in The Guardian for you, Jackone.

Whilst they FINALLY seem to have accepted it's going to be a largely dry festival, they can't help but emphasise the "some rain possible" theme, and they finish the article on a cautionary note.

Dry Glastonbury, dry Wimbledon. I guess the Sun Guardian headline writers are now pinning their hopes on Prince Harry getting lashed-up this weekend and doing something unspeakable. 

Me? I'll be lashed-up in a field. Meh....

Edited by Kid A
  • Like 1

Posted

Been a good day here today, no rain. Quite overcast, when the sun broke through, it was lovely. The wind is still fairly blowy, with a coolness to it, layers definitely the way to dress. Lots and lots going on.....painting, hammering, attaching, making, preparing. Everyone on site in good spirits (except a large security guard, grumpy git) and the air is full of anticipation. Got to about 17deg earlier, wind making it feel colder.

More pics.....

post-20460-0-54178700-1372099079_thumb.jpost-20460-0-37111500-1372099130_thumb.jpost-20460-0-07171200-1372099157_thumb.jpost-20460-0-92972800-1372099198_thumb.jpost-20460-0-74254500-1372099227_thumb.jpost-20460-0-34530600-1372099267_thumb.j

The latest blog has been published.

http://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4643-glastonbury-forecast-18-24th-june/

Again a good update, looking dry and warm for Glastonbury, I do regret making the promise to do a daily forecast for the weekend this far out given the model uncertainty a the moment, while the general there is there, temps and sunshine amounts are a nightmare to pin down.

At least wonk is not a bad term.

Noun - An expert in a field, typically someone who is fairly young and very intelligent.

Admittedly neither apply to me.

1. a student who spends much time studying and has little or no social life; grind.
2. a stupid, boring, or unattractive person.
3. a person who studies a subject or issue in an excessively assiduous and thorough manner: a policy wonk.

possibly 1 and 3 are right.

Edited by Jackone
  • Like 2

Posted

It's lovely here this morning. Woke early to clear skies and full sunshine, but a chilly 7deg. (bring warm pyjamas!) Its now a bit hazy with white fluffy clouds dotted about. Up to 13deg and rising. Glorious day.

I'll try and post some more pics later......

• Like 2

I know it is boring but can I add my thanks to Jackone it really enhances the anticipation of the Glastonbury experience, thank you

Any early indications for 2014 ?

NoPosted Image

After this week, I don't think I am going to see another computer model for a month !!!!

Hang on in there jackone, you are providing a national service here...still a few of us who aren't leaving until Wednesday/thursday and so will be looking forward to your detailed predictions.  It really has added to our Glasto experience coming in here and checking the weather.

Posted

dont like the 12z GFS much or the UKMO - precip looks abit stronger and further south doesn't it?

dont like the 12z GFS much or the UKMO - precip looks abit stronger and further south doesn't it?

Indeed

Latest Blog now out, http://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4644-glastonbury-forecast-19-25th-june/

Cannot ignore the models pushing fronts south East, so Through Glastonbury rather than East and missing. As such rainfall totals are a little higher, but still only around 9mm, so a mainly dry festival rather dry a dry one, I sill think there a is a decent chance GFS is overdoing rainfall anyway.

Cloud amounts looks a bit higher too more especially for Thursday and Friday

GFS rainfall wasn't an outlier, but looking at Somerset rainfall, not looking that heavy generally.

Edited by Jackone

Posted

whats going on with the 18z GFS - if you look at the main GFS model it shows heavy rain Thursday / Friday but on the M-Europa version for the 18z there is no such thing

The 12Hz GFS M-Europa version was faulty, the entire thing was blank, looking at the 18Hz version clearly some issues again I would disregard it.

We are now getting into the short term hi res models for Thursday.

NAE has most of the rain missing Glasto to the east.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=rsum&HH=48&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

While GFS has a bit more rainfall

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=rsum&HH=90&ZOOM=1&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&PANEL=0&LOOP=0&INFO=0&WMO=

To me GFS is overdoing the risk of rainfall, both in terms of intensity and how far west it goes. At least, I certainly think/hope by morning it should look a bit better.

NMM the GFS hi res model is more of a halfway house.

Edited by Jackone
  • Like 1

Posted

Glastonbury 2013 weather forecast watch

With Glastonbury rapidly approaching, here's the latest in weather watch news. Will you be needing your sunglasses or your galoshes for the UK's biggest festival?

Hardened festival fans will say the Glastonbury mud is all part of the fun, but it's looking like there may be a distinct lack of the brown stuff this year.Currently meteorologists are predicting dry, cloudy and warm weather for the weekend, with temperature highs ranging between 18 and 26 degrees. One forecaster suggests a few showers on Friday, but the mud levels are looking low. Importantly, the weather looks to stay dry for the event's three headline slots, assuaging The Rolling Stones' fears that their first Glastonbury set would be a washout.

Of course, it's not just about the weekend weather: a well-pitched tent can come awry if the ground is wet. However, even camping novices should be all right with no rainfall this week and even some sunshine. Those who decide to bring a canoe, as adventurous festival-goers have in swampier years, might be a little stuck.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/glastonbury/10141026/Glastonbury-2013-weather-forecast-watch.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jun/24/glastonbury-festival-2013-weather-forecast-good

Edited by Coast