Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J10

England's Summer of Cricket (+ other Worldwide Cricket)

1,755 posts in this topic

Can they do it though? No where near enough power in this team...

bugger, Root gone, Eng losing their way a bit

140/1 definitely....you've got the real platform to go for it....at 200/5 one more wicket and it's into the tail enders and the run rate always drops....  eng 168/2 as Trotty is caught behind in the 34th over...very good platform to push on for 300Chris.....just seen your post....my mobile is off at the mo, can I phone you on landline later?

Fine by me mate yes.Root out, chipped to mid wicket.Innings riding on this next partnership, could either fire or fall apart.300 is an absolute MUST. Anything less and we lose.Jesus christ, Bopara in.

Fine by me mate yes.Root out, chipped to mid wicket.Innings riding on this next partnership, could either fire or fall apart.300 is an absolute MUST. Anything less and we lose.Jesus christ, Bopara in.

yep, slightly surpised Bopara comes in next, might have been tempted to promote Butler.......talking about Butler, unless he plays another blinder we might struggle to reach 275.......17/2 in the past 4 overs in the powerplay, very disappointing

lol....the third umpire has a choice of 2 clearly marked buttons to press and initially presses the wrong one.....what a berk!

This is what happens when you're too pedestrian at the start- it puts pressure on players in the middle order to up the tempo, and if wickets fall you've got problems. Big changes needed for England. Of course they could still bowl well and win the game but there are so many good young attacking players who can't get a look in- even James Taylor who isn't a big hitter is capable of scoring at a strike rate over 100. Jonny Bairstow is carrying the drinks yet again. Alex Hales still no where to be seen in this one day setup. Luke Wright, James Vince of Hampshire. Even Peter Trego at Somerset is having a great season in one day cricket but will never get a look in.

12 fours so far through the entire inning's!

It's the lack of strike rotation and forceful play from the top 3 that wind me up. They play in test mode, so any remotely half decent ball that's of line and length get's left or defended which isn't the way it should be - it's called an ODI game for a reason. I'd have Bopara and Trott out for starters. Prior to open with Cook and KP when fit in at 3 - Michael Carberry if not. My bowling attack would be Swann, Anderson, Broad, Finn.

Morgan out.

This is absolutely pathetic.

Buttler 2 balls later.

Buttler in now, just as i write this, bòllox he's out, Aussies will win this i think

Butler out....thank goodness the earlier batsmen scored some runs...this is exactly why you don't blast away too early as if you lose quick wickets you have nothing to fall back on....at least we have some runs on the board

It's the lack of strike rotation and forceful play from the top 3 that wind me up. They play in test mode, so any remotely half decent ball that's of line and length get's left or defended which isn't the way it should be - it's called an ODI game for a reason. I'd have Bopara and Trott out for starters. Prior to open with Cook and KP when fit in at 3 - Michael Carberry if not. My bowling attack would be Swann, Anderson, Broad, Finn.Morgan out.This is absolutely pathetic.Buttler 2 balls later.

Who would you have as your fifth bowler then? That's the issue the selectors have and it's why they pick Bopara. I don't like Bresnan at 7 as he's just not a number 7! Prior has been tried as an opener many times and it didn't work, if he's going to be in he needs to be in the middle order. I do agree about the strike rotation, it's something Trott is terrible at, particularly early on in his innings. It's not acceptable to score 10 off your first 20 balls as he seems to do so often.

Butler out....thank goodness the earlier batsmen scored some runs...this is exactly why you don't blast away too early as if you lose quick wickets you have nothing to fall back on....at least we have some runs on the board

Not nearly enough, the Aussies will coast home even if we get to 250. As has been said before, this is a 320 wicket and if you plod along at 4.50 an over for 30 overs you're putting massive pressure on the batsmen in the middle order once wickets fall.

An absolute shambles is the selection and painstaking batting!.England always set out slow n steady n slower lol n try not to lose. wickets again lol so to give the middle or big hits later lol.So old n outdated.Embarassing,from selectors to captain to batters. End of

1 person likes this

something that has been overlooked by posters on here is the fact the Aussies have bowled really well....Johnson & Starc were hostile with the new ball, and Mackay & Faulkner have bowled with very good nouce

An absolute shambles is the selection and painstaking batting!.England always set out slow n steady n slower lol n try not to lose. wickets again lol so to give the middle or big hits later lol.So old n outdated.Embarassing,from selectors to captain to batters. End of

Sorry Joggs, but your post is plain wrong!.....With the new ODI guidelines regarding a new ball at EACH end at the start of each innings and the change in the fielding guidelines then unless your name is Chris Gayle then the days of the pinch hitter have gone.....England tactics are correct, their execution wrong

I think Prior has improved vastly over the last 2 years and 18 months in particular, I think it would be worth giving him another go. We also need KP fit, we looked decent at the top and reached 300 more regularly when he opened with Cook. Someone like Carberry next to Cook to add a bit of zest and power hitting at the top with a couple of fresh balls wouldn't be a bad option. When everyone is fit this would be my team.

Cook

KP

Bell

Prior

Buttler (WK)

Root

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Finn

Use KP and Root for 5 overs each to fill the other 10 overs. I dare say 10 overs of Bopara will return something similar to what JKP and Root sharing the burden would and there's 1 big problem with England's ODI performance and that's runs and tempo. Which would be sorted out by that batting line up.

Who would you have as your fifth bowler then? That's the issue the selectors have and it's why they pick Bopara. I don't like Bresnan at 7 as he's just not a number 7! Prior has been tried as an opener many times and it didn't work, if he's going to be in he needs to be in the middle order. I do agree about the strike rotation, it's something Trott is terrible at, particularly early on in his innings. It's not acceptable to score 10 off your first 20 balls as he seems to do so often.

Not nearly enough, the Aussies will coast home even if we get to 250. As has been said before, this is a 320 wicket and if you plod along at 4.50 an over for 30 overs you're putting massive pressure on the batsmen in the middle order once wickets fall.

we'll see....Morgan and Buttler were not out due to pressure, just to crap shots!!

just to add, IMO people are getting far too carried away with run rates etc etc...4.5 runs an over for the first 30 is perfectly acceptable regardless of the pitch.....this is 50 over cricket, a completely different discipline to 20/20 slapstick

Sorry Joggs, but your post is plain wrong!.....With the new ODI guidelines regarding a new ball at EACH end at the start of each innings and the change in the fielding guidelines then unless your name is Chris Gayle then the days of the pinch hitter have gone.....England tactics are correct, their execution wrong

Thing is though, no other team seems to be as concerned about this as England. Also the balls in this tournament are apparently not swinging at all which means the new white ball actually helps the batsmen. The fielding restrictions have also changed with less fielders allowed outside the circle in the non-powerplay overs. The commentators have been talking about it a lot- there are actually going to be more scores over 300 now.

I think that the outfield is slow and it is difficult to get the shots away. If England bowl well then they can still win. I think it will depend on Jimmy Anderson's opening spell and England's spinners. Tredwell to play a big part.

1 person likes this

Thing is though, no other team seems to be as concerned about this as England. Also the balls in this tournament are apparently not swinging at all which means the new white ball actually helps the batsmen. The fielding restrictions have also changed with less fielders allowed outside the circle in the non-powerplay overs. The commentators have been talking about it a lot- there are actually going to be more scores over 300 now.

i don' t think there will be to be honest, but it's just an opinion....the only reason the ball isn't swinging is because of the overhead conditions.....if we had typical humid overcast weather then 200 would be a good score on any track

lol...the barmy army ar in great form!....lol.....classic Mitchell Johnson song

1 person likes this

Highest successful run chase is 280-4 at Edgbaston. Australia will have to get 270.

ok 269/6......not great, not bad, par I reckon.....good cameos from Bopara & Bresnan at the end, 56 in 41 balls......a 'working' total

Highest successful run chase is 280-4 at Edgbaston. Australia will have to get 270.

But the rules have been tweaked a bit recently. I think it a score that can be defended as the Australian batting has a certain fragility about it without Clarke. Rather depends on Watson I suspect. An even money call.

Yes let's just wait and see now, it could be enough, England just have to bowl well as Australia's batting lineup is nothing special. Early wickets will be crucial as I wouldn't want Watson and Warner to get going.

Well Warner won't be getting going because he is gone. It looks like Australia are finding it difficult to get boundaries as well.