Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J10

England's Summer of Cricket (+ other Worldwide Cricket)

1,755 posts in this topic

As move into a new season in a manner of speaking, a new thread to start us off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/22045113

Simon Jones played a massive part in the 2005 Ashes victory, unfortunately due to injury, he really hasn't been able to do that much since, hopefully this season he will be able to make a return of sorts.

It'd be nice to see Simon Jones back to some sort of fitness, as to whether it'l actually happen - that's a different story all together. I see that he has to play 6 games this season as part of his contract so I think we can name this season 'make or break' for a return to a normal schedule.

1 person likes this

Former England captain, Mike Denness has died. Unfortunately, Mike Denness captaincy will always be remembered for the thrashing the Aussies gave the England tourists in 1974-75 and his misjudgement in putting the Aussies in at Edgbaston only for England to be caught on a wet wicket and skittled out. He lost the captaincy after that and never played for England again.

Tony Greig took over as captain. He sadly passed away just 4 months ago.

1 person likes this

Chris Gayle is currently 153no from 53 balls in today's IPL.

16 sixes, so far.

Epic.

Chris Gayle is currently 153no from 53 balls in today's IPL. 16 sixes, so far.  Epic.

Ended 175* off 66 with the first ton in 30 balls being a world record for a century in any senior cricket!

Ended 175* off 66 with the first ton in 30 balls being a world record for a century in any senior cricket!

Highest individual innings in T20 History, Highest team total in T20 History. WOW!

First 2 balls were dots, as he played himself in. Posted Image

Australia have named their squad for the upcoming Ashes tour to England:

Michael Clarke (Capt)

Brad Haddin (VC)

Jackson Bird

Ed Cowan

James Faulkner

Ryan Harris

Phil Hughes

Usman Khawaja

Nathan Lyon

James Pattinson

Chris Rogers

Peter Siddle

Mitchell Starc

Matthew Wade

David Warner

Shane Watson

Seems like quite a well-chosen, nicely balanced squad to me. Chris Rogers is well worth his chance despite being in his mid-thirties, whilst the likes of Bird and Faulkner have the potential to be big stars if given the opportunity.

I suspect we have seen Mitchell Johnson for the final time.

Bish

1 person likes this

Australia have named their squad for the upcoming Ashes tour to England:Michael Clarke (Capt)Brad Haddin (VC)Jackson BirdEd CowanJames FaulknerRyan HarrisPhil HughesUsman KhawajaNathan LyonJames PattinsonChris RogersPeter SiddleMitchell StarcMatthew WadeDavid WarnerShane WatsonSeems like quite a well-chosen, nicely balanced squad to me. Chris Rogers is well worth his chance despite being in his mid-thirties, whilst the likes of Bird and Faulkner have the potential to be big stars if given the opportunity.I suspect we have seen Mitchell Johnson for the final time.Bish

Is it me or is that the most unknown Aussie team to tour England in years? We have been so used to it being packed with well known names. I think for a lot of people they are not overfamiliar names.Infact I have just looked at how many Tests they have played and only Clarke has played 50+ and 9 have never played an Ashes Test

Is it me or is that the most unknown Aussie team to tour England in years? We have been so used to it being packed with well known names. I think for a lot of people they are not overfamiliar names.Infact I have just looked at how many Tests they have played and only Clarke has played 50+ and 9 have never played an Ashes Test

On paper you wouldn't fancy that team to win the ashes -a lot of untried new names.The bookies have England 4/9 Fav as we would expect but you never know for sure.I am sure 1 or 2 of the new ones may prove good selections.

Newbies can be dangerous until the opposition have learned how to read them; remember what Shane Warne's first ball in an Ashes Test did to Mike Gatting!

The Aussies are going through a major rebuilding process, a few on that list I know very little off. I wouldn't write them off though I expect England to retain the ashes by a 3-1 margin.

There are certainly plenty of unfamiliar names in the Aussie squad. I think in Australia they are suggesting it's the worst Ashes squad since 1985 and it's hard to disagree. They've got some talented bowlers who could cause some problems in English conditions but the major problem is the batting- I really can't see where the weight of runs is going to come from to trouble England. Most of the batsmen are the type who will average high 30s in test cricket as opposed to 45 to 50. The obvious exception is Clarke of course, but they are going to be relying on him very heavily to make big runs. The one shrewd selection I think is Chris Rogers, who has a lot of experience batting in English conditions.

So close. © The Times.

Chesney Hughes left stranded on brink of record highest individual score for Derbyshire

It is a commonplace, whenever an umpire condemns a batsman, to describe his verdict as “cruelâ€, however correct the decision. But rarely can a partner waiting at the other end have known the shudder felt by Chesney Hughes, left undefeated on 270, five runs short of posting the highest individual score ever made for Derbyshire.

Tim Groenewald, given palpably leg-before for nought to the final ball of an over, denied Hughes the chance of overhauling the 274 made by George Davidson in 1896. After staying at the crease for nine hours, eight minutes, the 22-year-old had completed the fourth-highest score in championship history by an opener carrying his bat through a completed innings.

It was the highest such total since Bill Ashdown’s unbeaten 305 for Kent at Dover in 1935 and, in exactly 500 games at Headingley hitherto, only three batsmen had scored more in an innings. Hughes, good enough to play for West Indies Under-19 when only 16 but now qualified for England, has always looked a rich prospect and his stock has soared yet farther.

Double ton for Root today and 186 off 192 balls for Bairstow- I wonder if that has cemented Bairstow's place for the 1st test against New Zealand?

Double ton for Root today and 186 off 192 balls for Bairstow- I wonder if that has cemented Bairstow's place for the 1st test against New Zealand?

What happened to James Taylor? Seems to have vanish off the scene.

What happened to James Taylor? Seems to have vanish off the scene.

He didn't have a great season last year but has started this one off very well with two hundreds- one of them at better than a run a ball in a CB40 match the other day. I really do think Taylor is possibly the most talented of the lot but just needs a prolific season for Notts. I'm surprised he's been pushed so far down the pecking order. There's a bit of Chanderpaul about him in style, although he is generally more attacking.

That was very tedious stuff pre-lunch. I fell asleep and missed a run.

That was very tedious stuff pre-lunch. I fell asleep and missed a run.

Not much better this afternoon either *YAWN* Another wicket's gone but score only 101-2 (just as I say that there's a 4) Posted Image and another! :p

Blimey why do people moan about the run rate? In the winter when they went gung-ho in NZ during the 1st test they got bowled out for less than 200 and that was most definitely right to moan about!

It is far more important to get a large 1st innings total and you must take into account good bowling and that it is a slow pitch and slow outfield!

More often than not run rates increase through the opening day as the bowlers tire and, if only a few wickets have fallen, they try harder to get some out and bowl more run scoring balls.

Well I think they could have shown more initiative against Martin. A spinner on the first day of a test match. And problems arise with this policy if by chance you start losing wickets.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

That is what I think of England's batting performance

Blimey why do people moan about the run rate? In the winter when they went gung-ho in NZ during the 1st test they got bowled out for less than 200 and that was most definitely right to moan about!It is far more important to get a large 1st innings total and you must take into account good bowling and that it is a slow pitch and slow outfield!More often than not run rates increase through the opening day as the bowlers tire and, if only a few wickets have fallen, they try harder to get some out and bowl more run scoring balls.

Yes but at this rate it will be day 3 before they get a big enough total. And you mention about taking into account this and that. You have forgot something else very important to take into account: the weather. The weather is iffy at the moment.

Play abandoned for the day (Rain)

Christ, what happened?

I only popped out to water the clematis and Aggers is telling me we're now 7 down.