Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm about a quarter of the way through The Count of Monte Cristo; a great read but, as the actress said to the bishop...

• 2 months later...
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't watch that stuff these days without thinking of Harry Enfield or Paul Whitehouse! :lol:       

Red Dawn  'Heroes are made in America'  Plot, a group of teenagers are trained by an ex army douche bag and fight to save their home town from invading North Korean soldiers  HOW DID THIS HUGE STEAMIN

Sounds racy! Saw Dark Skies..........spooky  Dawn of the planet of the apes, it had talking apes in it but it was onions

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Watched "Flight" last night, was worried it would be an "all over in the first half hour" type film, and was happily proven wrong.

Good film and worth watching.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just watched Iron Sky...Not great, by any means...But, hey, some folks really do believe that Nazis live on the dark side of the moon...Then again, the US president is quite amusing.

Edited by A Boy Named Sue
    Posted

I'm part way through. "Kingdom of the Sun God : a history of the Andes and their people". Along with the latest Ruth Rendall

Edited by knocker
    Posted

Just watched Iron Sky...Not great, by any means...But, hey, some folks really do believe that Nazis live on the dark side of the moon...Then again, the US president is quite amusing.

I quite liked that film ( I did put a fiver in there to make it)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Just read "Gay Horror" which was a freebie in my goody bag last weekend. Very good it was too.

Last film was The Iron Lady about Mrs T. Excellent film.

Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)

not really a Tom Cruise fan but when on a long haul flight when in Rome and all that...anyway i watched the film "Get Jack Reacher"..not bad at all well worth a watch.

Posted

Watched Cloud Atlas and X-Men First class this week, enjoyed both, CA is strange and at the same time facinating (and weird), but there are some great laugh out load moments too.

Posted

Powder

need the tissues now, as it is IMHO a tearful film.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

Last book I read, ASH - James Herbert. As a life-long reader of his horror & thriller writing, I was privileged to meet James and chat about his life's work only a week before his sad passing. It was a memorable moment and he was a witty and cheeky gentleman.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

THE WORLD'S END last week, which is almost terrific, but the last third lets it down a bit.

Posted

Ice Station, by Matthew Reilly. First fiction novel I have begun to read...in years. All my reading otherwise is from the other side. I cannot believe how difficult it is to read something that I know not to be true...Odd, takes patience and a different type of concentration. Determined to finish it off though.  Brief synopsis: gun battle on Antarctica between marines of different nationality, scientists try to escape, uncover truth that fight is over ownership and control of  alien craft buried under the ice. Yet to get to the juicy bits.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I'm going to the cinema tonight to see 'The Worlds End' - hope it's as funny as it looks....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213663/

Posted

Ice Station, by Matthew Reilly. First fiction novel I have begun to read...in years. All my reading otherwise is from the other side. I cannot believe how difficult it is to read something that I know not to be true...Odd, takes patience and a different type of concentration. Determined to finish it off though.  Brief synopsis: gun battle on Antarctica between marines of different nationality, scientists try to escape, uncover truth that fight is over ownership and control of  alien craft buried under the ice. Yet to get to the juicy bits.  

Ah IIRC that is the one with "Scarecrow" in it, really good read, played out in my mind like an action movie, the others are just as good.

You may also like David Gibbins, I read most of them too, Atlantis was the one that got me started there.

Currently reading Terry Pratchetts' "A Blink of the Screen", his collected early and short works whilst also working through the epic Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan (Still on book 10, 5 more to go)

Edited by Jax
    Posted

Ah IIRC that is the one with "Scarecrow" in it, really good read, played out in my mind like an action movie, the others are just as good.

You may also like David Gibbins, I read most of them too, Atlantis was the one that got me started there.

Currently reading Terry Pratchetts' "A Blink of the Screen", his collected early and short works whilst also working through the epic Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan (Still on book 10, 5 more to go)

That's the one.

Thanks for the other tips, will take you up on those suggestions!

Posted

THE WORLD'S END last week, which is almost terrific, but the last third lets it down a bit.

I saw it last night and thought it was hilarious, not my normal type of film really but it was a real laugh out loud movie Posted Image

Posted

I saw it last night and thought it was hilarious, not my normal type of film really but it was a real laugh out loud movie Posted Image

I quite liked the last two, so expect I will like this one too, but it will be a DVD for me.

That's the one.

Thanks for the other tips, will take you up on those suggestions!

Just thought isn't Matthew Reilly an Oz chap too?

Posted

I quite liked the last two, so expect I will like this one too, but it will be a DVD for me.

Just thought isn't Matthew Reilly an Oz chap too?

Apparently so, didn't realise it at the time. I picked it up at a garage sale - $2 - by chance, together with an amp. Amp is dodgy, book is good.

Edited by Styx
    • 2 weeks later...
    Posted

'Wings on my sleeve' by  Eric "Winkle" Brown on download.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_(pilot)

An enthralling biography of the Worlds greatest test pilot:

Eric Brown was on a University of Edinburgh exchange course in Germany in 1939, and the first he knew of the war was when the Gestapo came to arrest him. They released him, not realizing he was a pilot in the RAF volunteer reserve: and the rest is history. Eric Brown joined the Fleet Air Arm and went on to be the greatest test pilot in history, flying more different aircraft types than anyone else. He is the only man alive who has flown every major (and most minor) combat aircraft of the Second World War as well as all the early jets. Speaking perfect German, he went to Germany in 1945 to test the Nazi jets, interviewing (among others) Hermann Goering and Hanna Reitsch. He flew the suicidally dangerous Me 163 rocket plane, and tested the first British jets. He would have been the first man to break the sound barrier, except that the British government cancelled the programme and gave the technology to America. His naval career continues to this day, as he advises on the new aircraft carrier design for the Royal Navy. A living legend among aviation enthusiasts, his amazing life story deserves to be told in full -- from crashing in front of Winston Churchill to unmasking a Neo-Nazi ring in the 1950s to his terrifying flights in primitive jets and rockets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-My-Sleeve-Worlds-Greatest/dp/0753822091

Posted

Looks interesting Coast, was never into Bio's until a couple of years ago, then picked up Maggie T, Micheal Caine and David Attenboroughs', all good reads IMHO.

Edited by Jax
    Posted

Looks interesting Coast

It's 'Boys Own' WWII stuff, but all true and very interesting. Makes my life feel very dull! 

Posted

It's 'Boys Own' WWII stuff, but all true and very interesting. Makes my life feel very dull! 

There are some people out there, big and small that have done interesting and great things.

Posted

There are some people out there, big and small that have done interesting and great things.

Here's one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/And-Still-Rise-eBook-ebook/dp/B006EBA0V8/ref=zg_bs_67_2

Posted

Well that's my holiday reading sorted out, Fixed on You by Laurelin Page is on my kindle....it will be interesting to see if it lives up to the reviews...

"This book blew me away." - Emma Hart, NY Times Bestselling author of The Love Game

"Read it in an air-conditioned room or turn on the fan--it. is. HOT." - Melanie Harlow, author of Speak Easy
    "Ok wow breathe... This book was absolutely amazing." - Maria
    "Where to begin ????? WOW !!! Absolutely-Freaking-Amazingly-Awesome." - Tammy
    "Hudson and Alayna...threatened to melt my Kindle EVERY TIME THEY WERE TOGETHER!" - Dianne

...watch this space !