Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted

where is the summer?

I think that 'proper' Summer could well arrive with a vengeance very soon!  I feel that Summer 2013 could well be markedly different to the last 6.........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I think that 'proper' Summer could well arrive with a vengeance very soon!  I feel that Summer 2013 could well be markedly different to the last 6.........

It was never in any doubt as far as I was concerned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It was never in any doubt as far as I was concerned.

I don't think you realise I live in the pennines and when you are enjoying 25deg and sunny we can be getting 17 and dull

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I don't think you realise I live in the pennines and when you are enjoying 25deg and sunny we can be getting 17 and dull

Yeah but you get more snow than me in winter :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yeah but you get more snow than me in winter Posted Image

I used to get even more ,I used to live at 340m ,now a lowly 125.if you want the snow its not far to the cat and fiddle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Correct, the summer of '99.......the summer before I started secondary school and the summer of latino pop music. Lou Bega, Ricky Martin etc etc lol.

dont forget paul johnson 'get get down', so bad its good! :D

Posted

its not going to happen is it.... a nice hot dry sunny summer..

ok, it might not be as bad as 12, 07, 08... but theres no real sign of anything much better, save a day or two here and there. theres no sign of a first widespread 25c for one day, let alone several consecutive.  so forget thoughts of 06, 03, 95, 90, 83, 76, 75... anything 'good' is always in fi, just like the previous 6 summers (ok the southeast wasnt too bad the other year).

time to 'write off summer'?.. you know, it would be a pretty safe bet.

post-2797-0-60131800-1372615914_thumb.gi

ill get my coat...... Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

dont forget paul johnson 'get get down', so bad its good! Posted Image

0 my god great song, childhood days playing on the 'New' Atlantic 252

Posted

"Every Morning" by Sugar Ray was my song of Summer 1999.

This much-anticipated summery spell can't arrive soon enough, as today was yet another example of the abject worse-than-normal NW-SE divides which have ruined potential warmth in recent summers. Very August 2009-like, though not as awful as the bête noire of NW-SE divide summer months, July 2010.

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted

best track of 99 has to be veracocha 'carte blanche'....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Posted ImageRukm1441.gif

ill get my coat...... Posted Image

Posted Image

I think the truth be known, there has been even greater uncertainty than usual over how this summer would pan out - taking into account the way that weather patterns have changed in recent years. But just as properly cold winter spells of weather had never gone permanently AWOL as so widely and incorrectly assumed prior to 2008/9 then neither have very warm summer spells either since 2007.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think the truth be known, there has been even greater uncertainty than usual over how this summer would pan out - taking into account the way that weather patterns have changed in recent years. But just as properly cold winter spells of weather had never gone permanently AWOL as so widely and incorrectly assumed prior to 2008/9 then neither have very warm summer spells either since 2007.

Maybe yes, maybe no, Tamara? It could be simply that the pattern, we think we've all observed over recent summers, isn't really a pattern at all? The only certainty I can see, about predicting UK seasons, is that nobody yet knows how to do it...Aren't all the 'indicators' used merely predictions in their own right?

It only takes one forecast teleconnection, oscillation, or whatever, to deviate from expectations for even the most-reasoned seasonal prediction to fall like a house of cards?

Posted

.... actually, my post suggesting 'it aint gonna happen' isnt strictly wrong, yet, i did cite great long hot summers that i suggested this summer wont be like. as things stand we are set to have a hot spell, this might be over in less then a week and might not return, if this is the case then my 'it aint gonna happen' post would be right. lol.

Posted

ok... john, my freinds records for 91, support more or less those you produced. so ok my memories of summer 91 were not in linewith actuality. fair play, i was wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Fair play to John Hammond for standing under a giant sprinkler on the one show on BBC 2 just a few minutes ago talking about next weeks hot weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

There was a spell of very warm summer weather around the 2nd week of July 2005, it may turn out similar to that spell this year.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezp88CeVnJY

I'm hoping for something a little better than that - the month as a whole in this part of the world turned out to be extremely unremarkable. I think I'd take the preceding June just because temperatures exceeded 30C.

Edited by cheese

Posted

ok... john, my freinds records for 91, support more or less those you produced. so ok my memories of summer 91 were not in linewith actuality. fair play, i was wrong.

To be fair, your original comment that if by late June you haven't seen a warm sunny spell then its most likely Summer will not turn out to be an exceptionally good one ala 2006, 2003, 1995, 1989, 1983, 1976 and 1975 is pretty on the money...but I think this is more to be because such summers are scarce by there very nature rather than any correlation. Even the average to good summers are not that common if we take the fact that since 1900 only 34 Summers in 113 years have delivered a month of 17+ in the CET.

So once you start excluding those average to goo Summers where the warm spells started in May and June rather than July and August you really are dealing with a tiny percentage. i.e. years like 1991, and possibly 2013 are going to be pretty rare years.

Posted

hi mushyI appreciate that post so thank you.Nothing against what you said but we all have selective memories every one of us which is why, when they are available, I prefer statistics although they may not give that 'personal' feel for the weather.

Posted

To be fair, your original comment that if by late June you haven't seen a warm sunny spell then its most likely Summer will not turn out to be an exceptionally good one ala 2006, 2003, 1995, 1989, 1983, 1976 and 1975 is pretty on the money...but I think this is more to be because such summers are scarce by there very nature rather than any correlation. Even the average to good summers are not that common if we take the fact that since 1900 only 34 Summers in 113 years have delivered a month of 17+ in the CET.

So once you start excluding those average to goo Summers where the warm spells started in May and June rather than July and August you really are dealing with a tiny percentage. i.e. years like 1991, and possibly 2013 are going to be pretty rare years.

thanks, that was my original point, but spoiled it really by inaccurately dismissing 91..

hi mushyI appreciate that post so thank you.Nothing against what you said but we all have selective memories every one of us which is why, when they are available, I prefer statistics although they may not give that 'personal' feel for the weather.

fair play john, on this occassion my memory was flawed.