Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Not getting at one person here- this is just one example- but one of the few things that I consistently dislike about weather-related discussions is the tendency for members to assume that everyone has the same set of tastes, and then claim to speak for everyone, with the implication that either you follow the consensus or you're a weirdo.

When we compare dry sunny conditions to dull wet ones I usually find myself more or less in line with the consensus view, but the most usual area where I find myself at odds with it is the idea that dry cloudy weather is good (settled, usable) and sunshine and showers is bad (unsettled).  A trawl through the convective/storm discussion threads suggest that my position is not all that unusual.

There's bound to be regional variation this week, and the south-west looks particularly favoured for some sun and warmth, but the weather here is currently cool, dry and cloudy and that looks like being the main story here for most of the week, with some hope, but no certainty, of something warmer and sunnier on Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Friday.  It's going to be usable enough for getting outdoors but not as enjoyable as, say, last Tuesday/Wednesday were.

I can be quite happy with dull, wet and overcast if it is warm for example, a "good" mixture of weather can make all the difference.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

you may be right,it is a hard one to call but sunshine makes us happy and dullness does not[not for the vast majority anyway] sunshine and showers???..I for one want winters to be winters  and summers to be one of the two glorious summers we get in a decade........we are well overdue!!!!

I should probably have been more specific- by "sunshine and showers" I meant to refer specifically to those days with TCu/Cb cells bringing short-lived downpours with sunshine in between- the sort of days that tend to get the convective/storm threads buzzing but are otherwise often dismissed as "unsettled".

Indeed, "sunshine and showers" is quite often used just to mean "changeable".  I remember that when I was younger and didn't have regular access to the sort of forecast model outputs that I take for granted nowadays, I was often disappointed when I heard forecasts for "sunshine and showers", got excited over convective potential, and ended up with a mainly dull but dry day as part of a changeable Atlantic-driven pattern.  I had several such disappointments during July 1998 for example.

Incidentally, the chances of that weather type arising frequently can be limited as much by cloud and frequent frontal systems as by frequent high pressure.  It was pretty rare during last year's summer at my location bar a spell in the first week of August.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I find that cloudy and wet weather is much more tolerable when it's warm. For example, last Thursday was very dull here (no rain has to be said) but warm and humid at the same time - much better than cool/cold with a wind.

Well one thing I've noticed about this summer is just how bland it is. No heat, no convective spell, no widespread heavy rainfall, no major wind event. It's just been pretty cloudy after what apparently was a wonderful first 10 days. Let's hope July can provide a bit more variation for us weather enthusiasts.

• Like 2

Posted

What's going on? We're a whole 4 days past the Solstice and nobody's opened up an Autumn thread yet !! In years gone by I would've expected to see about 6 LFRs for the Winter up by now............slackers Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

its not going to happen is it.... a nice hot dry sunny summer..

ok, it might not be as bad as 12, 07, 08... but theres no real sign of anything much better, save a day or two here and there. theres no sign of a first widespread 25c for one day, let alone several consecutive.  so forget thoughts of 06, 03, 95, 90, 83, 76, 75... anything 'good' is always in fi, just like the previous 6 summers (ok the southeast wasnt too bad the other year).

time to 'write off summer'?.. you know, it would be a pretty safe bet.

well, its now obvious that we arent getting another 06,03,95,90,76,75... junes passing without a widespread hot spell as those classic summers did.

could we get a 83?... unlikely now. after a dysmal spring/june 30 years ago it turned on june 25th.. (my wedding day) and the rest of summer was fantastic. its looking unlikely now that there will be a pattern change anytime soon.

hopefully some thing nice will evolve down the line, but i cant think of 1 summer where the first half was 'normal' (at best) then hot and sunny from mid july onwards...ill be happy to be proven wrong on this.

Posted

What's going on? We're a whole 4 days past the Solstice and nobody's opened up an Autumn thread yet !! In years gone by I would've expected to see about 6 LFRs for the Winter up by now............slackers Posted Image

Why not an autumn thread?

This summer thread after all was started on the 4th of April, when we were still freezing. :p

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted

Indeed, laserguy either has a very large garden or is very  careful about it all! If its your averaged sized garden then 2 hours is ridiculous!

It's a HUGE garden - so huge that I planted loads of laurel bushes at the midway point to create a hedge. Beyond those the garden can go to rack and ruin; outta sight,outta mind. The remaining section does indeed take two hours for me to mow,stopping only to empty the grass box. I've got to 'do' something with the garden 'cos this relentless keeping-on-top-of-it routine is becoming very tiresome. Moving would be a plan but the missus loves it here. I'd let her cut the damn stuff but it'd never get done. As for enjoying this weather, I couldn't even if it was my thing - gotta work soon and it'll be pushing 35C in that place.

Ah,autumn! I did raise the subject recently but no takers. It's not as if it's too early - give it a coupla weeks and we'll be saddled with the bane of the winter season - Xmas adverts!

*The above relates to the back garden only,don't get me started on the front one which is always immaculately presented!

Edited by laserguy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Why not fit Bodicea-esque blades to front and rear wheels of the Laser and donut your way across the rear lawn?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Today's ECM monthly Birmingham ensemble has the potential for a nice July Posted Image

Posted Image

A continued signal from the ensembles (GFS and ECM) is for rainfall to remain average at best the next 10 days remain at below normal

Posted Image

So 2013's dry start to summer looks like lasting into well July

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

It's a HUGE garden - so huge that I planted loads of laurel bushes at the midway point to create a hedge. Beyond those the garden can go to rack and ruin; outta sight,outta mind. The remaining section does indeed take two hours for me to mow,stopping only to empty the grass box. I've got to 'do' something with the garden 'cos this relentless keeping-on-top-of-it routine is becoming very tiresome. Moving would be a plan but the missus loves it here. I'd let her cut the damn stuff but it'd never get done. As for enjoying this weather, I couldn't even if it was my thing - gotta work soon and it'll be pushing 35C in that place.

Ah,autumn! I did raise the subject recently but no takers. It's not as if it's too early - give it a coupla weeks and we'll be saddled with the bane of the winter season - Xmas adverts!

*The above relates to the back garden only,don't get me started on the front one which is always immaculately presented!

if its that large invest in a ride on mower... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Eeeee....the nights are drawing in

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

Eeeee....the nights are drawing in

yep 3 minutes gone already!

• Like 4

Posted

it will be so typical if next week we see lots of sun and warm/hot temps as it is the second week of wimbledon when the best matches will be on so i won't be able to go out and enjoy the weather, then it will be back to cool and wet when wimbledon is over, sods law

Edited by Tony27

it will be so typical if next week we see lots of sun and warm/hot temps as it is the second week of wimbledon when the best matches will be on and i won't be able to go out and enjoy the weather, then it will be back to cool and wet when wimbledon is over, sods law

It was sunny and warm here today, 19c and 15 hours of sun.

By the way we are probably due some wet weather alas, none so far this summer.

Today's ECM monthly Birmingham ensemble has the potential for a nice July Posted Image

Posted Image

A continued signal from the ensembles (GFS and ECM) is for rainfall to remain average at best the next 10 days remain at below normal

Posted Image

So 2013's dry start to summer looks like lasting into well July

Posted Image

Do they have sunshine forecasts as well.

Posted

It was sunny and warm here today, 19c and 15 hours of sun.

By the way we are probably due some wet weather alas, none so far this summer.

Do they have sunshine forecasts as well.

No just rain and temperature

This will do just nicely for summer

Posted ImagePosted Image

The mean aint bad either

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Do you live in the dugout, at Hillsborough, barrie?Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

No just rain and temperature

This will do just nicely for summer

Posted ImagePosted Image

The mean aint bad either

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Looks nice...im coming back to the UK on 5th July..this will be the first time i have been home during the summer since 2009.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine! High humidity - clear blue skies. Heavy snow.

So there is a heatwave in July

and i am heading to Mexico.

Anyone know how hot it will be in Cancun from July 6th to 21st 2013

Posted

http://www.accuweather.com/en/mx/cancun/235049/july-weather/235049?monyr=7/1/2013

Posted

Don't worry I've been Mexico several times  and one thing the UK wont be able to match and that's the humidity. Whereabouts are you staying?

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Very hot i imagine, always the chance of a hurricane as well for fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Warm and sunny in summer?

never!