Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted

Don't think I've ever seen such a big June negative anomaly in the Med before.

Posted Image

I've heard reports from people on holiday in Majorca that it's 'freezing at night' there- not surprising when you look at those SSTs in the western Med! It has certainly been cooler than normal in southern France as well recently.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

So how is this warm spell for everybody? It's a bit on the warm side for me personally but not too uncomfortable, the sunshine is lovely though.

I may also be in a minority here but i actually want a breakdown to cool weather in August, i like my warmth around the solar maximum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Already 21C here in Cork, this will definitely be the warmest day of the year so far. 

I think there have only been 2 days in the last 2 weeks that haven't been mostly sunny. If it starts creeping into the mid twenties, it will be a little uncomfortable. But it's great for now.

EDIT: No rainfall and 167% of normal sunshine from May 30th to June 5th. That excludes the warm, dry and sunny day yesterday

http://www.met.ie/latest/agricultural.asp

Edited by BornFromTheVoid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Climate-uk stats for 1st-5th June:

http://climate-uk.com/

1% of normal rainfall, 180% of normal sunshine, in spite of a cloudier day for many on Wednesday.  Slightly cooler than average, presumably due to low night-time minima under clear skies and light winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

So how is this warm spell for everybody? It's a bit on the warm side for me personally but not too uncomfortable, the sunshine is lovely though.

I may also be in a minority here but i actually want a breakdown to cool weather in August, i like my warmth around the solar maximum.

How is this warm spell? Well not warm enough basically! Great in the sun but chilly out of it. And naff on Weds and Thur morning under the cloud. Is 19c really too warm for you? That's about average for June and below average for the rest of summer.

And yes August is far too early for a breakdown to cool - we've only just left a cool/cold extended period so needs to last a bit longer than that! Really the year should be 50% warm & 50% cool rather than 20% warm and 80% cool/cold like this past 12 months! Warmth should be April-September, cold October-March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

What Warm spell? A dry and sunny spell, i think you mean. Which is of course a big improvement over the previous 8 months.

CET anomoly is negative for June so far and likely to continue so for the forseable future. Even the max temps are only just nudging average.

• Like 2

Posted

Feels warm to me, yes i do not like average July's and August's in particular (mostly because of the humidity we get in the UK).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Feels warm to me, yes i do not like average July's and August's in particular (mostly because of the humidity we get in the UK).

Warm for me is when I can sit in the shade in T-shirt and shorts, sipping a cold larger and feel comfortable, which sadly has not been warm enough for yet with max's all around 18 and a breeze.

Edited by SomeLikeItHot
  • Like 2

Posted

Been warm at times in areas like the SW which are doing well, for example yesterday 22.6C at home, 3-4C above the early June average. 21-22C here at uni which is closer to the June average up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Technically (as above stats at Climate-uk show) it hasn't been a 'warm' spell, but here it has felt that way because of the relatively high daytime maxima (about 1-2C above average) and, that cloudy Wednesday apart, a combination of sunshine and light winds which has made it feel somewhat warmer than the thermometer suggests.

Philip Eden has noted in quite a few of his Telegraph articles over the years that dry and sunny but cool spells have historically been fairly common in June.  The dry sunny Junes of 1975, 1989 and 1996 all had warm days offset by chilly nights, resulting in a CET just fractionally above the long-term average- June 1995 was a similar case in central and western parts of the country- and there were some during the 60s and early 70s (June 1969 for instance) where the chilly nights outweighed the daytime warmth.  The main reason for this is that while dry sunny spells in July and August tend to be associated either with high pressure ridging a long way north-east from the Azores or a Euro high/Atlantic trough setup, both of which by default bring tropical air over to the British Isles, in June it is relatively common to have blocked setups with anticyclonic conditions combined with cool airmasses originating a fair way north.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 7

Posted

I spent a few hours in a local beer garden yesterday evening, but by 8pm it was already time to head back inside as things cooled down.

With the temperature about to reach 22C here (warmest day of the year!), I'm off for lunch in the park!

• Like 1

Posted

Well this current spell of weather has been perfect for me. Pleasantly warm during the day and evening but totally comfortable at night. It's hot sticky nights that I cannot stand!

• Like 2

Posted

So how is this warm spell for everybody?

Whilst an improvement on recent summer fayre it compares poorly with recent fine spells that were earlier in the year:

March 2012: 3 consecutive days over 20C and 6 days of wall to wall sun.
May 2012: 6 consecutive days over 20C and 6 days of wall to wall sun.
June 2013: 0 days over 20C and 0 days of wall to wall sun.

That puts this lame spell into perspective. Just far too much cloud which has been the curse of summer for well over a decade now. Today is just a perfect illustration of why it is pretty much impossible to get good summer months any more.  With a high directly over us there should be plenty of sun but we have stubborn grey cloud that is taking forever to clear and is not even coming off the North Sea. I would expect cloud off the North Sea if the high was further north, though even then it would have burned off much more readily in the past whereas now it never seems to budge and extends much further inland.

It looks like the cloud could finally clear soon but will not happen before my lunch break is over. Temperature will probably climb to an average 16C but it will have dropped back to a chilly 13C or 14C by the time I get home. Weekend forecast far from inspiring.

The sooner the breakdown happens the better. Would far rather have westerlies than this. Might be a chance of seeing 20C which has not happened so far this year, the warmest being 19.5C way back on 5th May.
  • Like 1

Enjoy the good weather we currently have, in my view the conditions at present are my ideal summer weather, no wind, no rain, lots of sunshine but not too warm with wonderful light

Yep perfect summer weather Damien, would lock this pattern in all summer if I could, not sure why summer blizzard thinks its too warm, you can get warmer more humid spells than this in June.

I see lots of people out walking after 9 pm in shorts so its warm enough for them, it seems just a few are moaning and we know who they are :)

Posted

How is this warm spell? Well not warm enough basically! Great in the sun but chilly out of it. And naff on Weds and Thur morning under the cloud. Is 19c really too warm for you? That's about average for June and below average for the rest of summer. And yes August is far too early for a breakdown to cool - we've only just left a cool/cold extended period so needs to last a bit longer than that! Really the year should be 50% warm & 50% cool rather than 20% warm and 80% cool/cold like this past 12 months! Warmth should be April-September, cold October-March.

Well I don't mind if it's not technically warm. I'd feel much less warm under a tropical low dumping heavy rain over the country with 25c maxima and 18c minima. Dry and sunny at this time of year normally means it 'feels' warm and I don't see many complaining at that.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I hasten to add no complaints about todays weather nor that that came before Wednesday either. 

It's a good start to summer for sure - great for the garden.

But I'd certainly be disappointed with this was as warm as it got in a summer - not all of us are free to take advantage of the sun during the daytimes so pleasant evenings are a short lived treat that we want as much as possible of before the darkness intrudes again by September. 

Maxed here at 19.3c which is pleasant but hardly summer warm (unless you're in direct sunlight).

Posted

Ironically this is actually a pretty notable cool spell here. The mean maximum temperature for the first 7 days of June is only 15.7C and the overall mean is 2.7C below average! Apart from Thursday it has been very sunny though with the only rain of the month being 0.4mm on that same day.

For reference, 1-7th June 2012 was actually 0.5C warmer on average here than this year. It just shows you the effect the below average SSTs in the North Sea are having.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Quite cool here, too. But, what with all the sunshine and shelter from the wind; provided I don't forget to keep everything well-watered, things are growing fast - certainly faster than last year!

Posted

Yes apart from Wednesday I'm having to keep a close eye on plant watering as its drying out extremely quickly! And compared to last year we're light years ahead in growth... (assuming plants can grow in terms of 'light years'... hmmm...).

Only concern is tomatoes/peppers don't like the chilly nights so probably won't fruit a great deal until it warms up a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye, Botty - tomatoes don't seem to be firing too well, so far...Shallots and garlic seem to be loving it, however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Knock a degree or two off now and it would be better (currently 21C). This morning was fantastic, around 15C with cloud, a breeze and no direct sunlight, good for walking in IMO. Now it's warmed up and the Sun has come out it's nice to sit outside in walking is a little uncomfortable IMO.

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted

Was nice out this afternoon. Temperature got up to about 21.9C at the nearest station, so probably around 23C in the city centre. Sitting in the sun was pleasant, but I'd say a degree or two more and I would have been after the shade!

Just 2 days of this left for Ireland until things go downhill on Monday. Hopefully just a blip before summer returns