Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I had a lovely week in Wales at the start of August 2005. It was warm and sunny every day except for the last day when we went home. Looking at the charts it appears it was cooler and showery here on the east coast at the time so it was the perfect week to head to Wales with all the nice weather over there.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the main "blemish" on Summer 2005 was that persistent cool grey spell in the last third of July with mainly northerly winds.  In the Tyneside area, I don't remember it being particularly wet other than a couple of rainy days, but the daytime temperatures were consistently in the low to mid teens and there was a large shortage of sunshine. 

I recall that in early August 2005 the winds remained northerly but the weather became brighter and more showery which is also consistent with Millhouse's observations above.  The second half of the month was much warmer and offset the cool first half.  I vaguely recall a Bank Holiday when it was dry, sunny and warm in Tyneside and cloudy in the south-east.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking at the models tonight and summer could well start on a settled warm note a far cry from 12 months ago when we had rain, rain and more rain

• Like 1

Posted

I say bring on another 76 or 95. In my time of model watching i've never experienced a proper heatwave so it would be great to see one materialise.

Nah, you don't wanna go there, trust me. About 6 weeks of temps pushing 30C every day would have even the hardened sun-gods crying for relief. Best thing about '76 was the thunderstorm that brought it all to an abrupt end.

Posted

About 2005, I remember August being sunny for much of the month in the Manchester area but also coolish- I recall the Australian players in the 2005 Ashes wearing sleeveless sweaters for much of the series despite the sunshine. The main heat was earlier in the summer, in mid to late June and early July. I have very fond memories of the second half of June that year when I was doing my A-Levels- a truly stunning second half with lots of sunshine and high temperatures.

About 2005, I remember August being sunny for much of the month in the Manchester area but also coolish- I recall the Australian players in the 2005 Ashes wearing sleeveless sweaters for much of the series despite the sunshine. The main heat was earlier in the summer, in mid to late June and early July. I have very fond memories of the second half of June that year when I was doing my A-Levels- a truly stunning second half with lots of sunshine and high temperatures.

Off topic alert

Was this the one where the Aussie players wore sunglasses in the gloom, to suggest the conditions were playable, even though light was poor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

WSI expecting another poor summer for the UK

No Change to Gloomy Summer Outlook for UK/Western Europe

Pattern of Recent Summers Expected to Continue

Andover, Mass. (22 May 2013) — Weather Services International (WSI) expects temperatures for the upcoming summer (June-August) to average lower than normal across UK, most of western mainland Europe and the more densely populated southern regions of Norway and Sweden, with higher-than-normal temperatures across Eastern Europe and especially Western Russia. “As we head closer to summer, we can’t find any convincing evidence that the cool and wet pattern experienced in recent summers in the UK and Western Europe will relent this year,†said Dr. Todd Crawford, WSI chief meteorologist. “Our statistical and dynamical models all suggest that the North Atlantic summer blocking pattern that has been prevalent since 2007 will likely appear again, resulting in low pressure and cool, wet weather across the UK and much of western mainland Europe. On the other hand, high pressure will dominate in Eastern Europe and Western Russia resulting in a hot, dry summer.â€

In June, WSI forecasts:

Nordic Region* – Cooler than normal southern Sweden/Finland
UK* – Cooler than normal
Northern Mainland* – Cooler than normal
Southern Mainland* – Cooler than normal, except far Southeast Europe

In July, WSI forecasts:

Nordic Region – Cooler than normal southern half of Norway/Sweden, warmer
than normal elsewhere
UK – Cooler than normal
Northern Mainland – Cooler than normal, except far eastern sections
Southern Mainland – Warmer than normal, except Iberia

In August, WSI forecasts:

Nordic Region – Warmer than normal
UK – Cooler than normal south, warmer than normal north
Northern Mainland – Warmer than normal east, cooler than normal west
Southern Mainland – Cooler than normal

WSI provides customized weather information to global commodity traders via its industry-leading WSI Trader Web site. WSI will issue its next seasonal outlook on 26 June.

http://www.wsi.com/866f4574-07a8-4a02-87d9-d2115b13fb6d/news-scheduled-forecast-release-details.htm

There track record aint the best mind so who knows they forecast March to be warmer than normal in the UK early this year and we all know what happened............

Edited by Gavin.
  • Like 1

Posted

I think take the WSI with a pinch of salt. It's the same with the ECM..yes that's the negative model but it has FINALLY came around to agree with the others. 

Most have said average/above average summers....I do concur with these :)

Posted

2005 was on the good side of average here, with an excellent June- very sunny, with a couple of cool nights to start and a thundery heatwave to finish. Will never forget that storm on Sunday 19th. July also had a hot spell from about 8th-16th, and August was a curious month; plenty of sunshine, and dry, but for some reason it really struggled to get above 22-23C despite several days with 8-10 hours sun and high pressure. Certainly much better than any August since 2007 though!

What really spoilt that summer, and prevented me ranking it as a good one rather than good-to-average, was a vile 10-12 day spell in late July when there was virtually no sunshine, lots of drizzle and persistent light rain, and temps struggling to top 15C at the height of summer. 

• Like 1

Posted

Off topic alert

Was this the one where the Aussie players wore sunglasses in the gloom, to suggest the conditions were playable, even though light was poor.

I think that was in September that year, the fifth test at Lord's! Incidentally September also had a very warm start in 2005.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted

2005 was on the good side of average here, with an excellent June- very sunny, with a couple of cool nights to start and a thundery heatwave to finish. Will never forget that storm on Sunday 19th. July also had a hot spell from about 8th-16th, and August was a curious month; plenty of sunshine, and dry, but for some reason it really struggled to get above 22-23C despite several days with 8-10 hours sun and high pressure. Certainly much better than any August since 2007 though!

What really spoilt that summer, and prevented me ranking it as a good one rather than good-to-average, was a vile 10-12 day spell in late July when there was virtually no sunshine, lots of drizzle and persistent light rain, and temps struggling to top 15C at the height of summer. 

Yes that storm on the 19th was probably the most memorable of my lifetime, I recall it being hot and sunny up to around 3 pm in my area and then it went so dark some of the street lights came on, before one of the biggest storms I've witnessed in this country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember being in Lancaster on the 19th June 2005 where there was a relatively weak thunderstorm with several rumbles, but nothing like what they had over much of north-east England.  However, later that summer I happened to be in Leeds on the 31st August where they got hit full in the face by one of the day's biggest storm cells, which caused the street lights to come on as the main cell moved overhead.  I don't think Summer 2005 was particularly notable for frequency of convective events, but there were quite a few unusually intense ones.  Out of that summer as a whole I think I found the second half of June most enjoyable.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Summer 2005 was essentially a summer of two halves with the hottest second half to June since 1976 and a maximum of 34C to boot which degraded into a cool and fairly poor second half. September and October 2005 however were much warmer than average before a stunning November.

Posted

Yes that storm on the 19th was probably the most memorable of my lifetime, I recall it being hot and sunny up to around 3 pm in my area and then it went so dark some of the street lights came on, before one of the biggest storms I've witnessed in this country.

Interesting because I thought it was a huge disappointment! I remember the storm and I could hear the radio crackling away like anything. When it struck, there wasn't that much thunder, saw hardly any lightning and there wasn't much rain for a storm and it certainly didn't go dark for street lights to come on. Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Uploading forecasts from summer 2004. That was a strange summer. I remember the transit of Venus and how hot it was that day then we had a really chilly night later that June. There was that horrible day in early July with a strong NEly blowing. August felt tropical during the first part but was a right old thundery washout. During early July, there were some of the loudest thunderclaps I have heard, the windows rattled during the early hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I seem to remember a violent thunderstorm during Summer when I was in year 4, which would have been 2005, perhaps it was the same one. I remember it being very hot all afternoon, coming in from lunch outside and watching the sky go a grey, almost red colour. It was very dark and there was some impressive thunder and lightning but I can't remember what the rain was like.

I really want a stormy Summer, the last decent Summer thunderstorm I remember was at the end of June 2011, but the last very violent one was back in June 2009 I think. I would welcome a repeat of that storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I seem to remember a violent thunderstorm during Summer when I was in year 4, which would have been 2005, perhaps it was the same one. I remember it being very hot all afternoon, coming in from lunch outside and watching the sky go a grey, almost red colour. It was very dark and there was some impressive thunder and lightning but I can't remember what the rain was like.

I really want a stormy Summer, the last decent Summer thunderstorm I remember was at the end of June 2011, but the last very violent one was back in June 2009 I think. I would welcome a repeat of that storm.

I think it was wet...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image 

Posted

Old netweather thread on it

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/17768-storm-reports-19th-june-2005/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Could this thread be perhaps more steered to discussion about 2013 not other years? Surely there is another thread for this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Ahhhh an interesting quote in that thread from the days when Cheshire actually got thunderstorms Posted Image

''Gone very black here in North Staffordshire, newcastle under lyme, and the wind has pick up big style in the last 30 mins,

I can now hear thunder storms in the distance

I think it's coming from the cheshire area''

2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009 all good years for storms then suddenly they dry up! Won't hold my breath for this summer season!

August 6th 2007 was the best storm I've ever witnessed here. Was a fairly benign type of day across most of the UK but a fairly isolated but absolutely torrential and stationery cell built over Crewe. 2 hours of marble hail, torrential rain and blue tinged lightning was an absolute marvel to witness. There was waves of hail flowing down the street like big ice floes and many homes had to be evacuated because of flooding. It was amazing.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Could this thread be perhaps more steered to discussion about 2013 not other years? Surely there is another thread for this?

Apparently no judging by the post following yours!

Posted

What is there to discuss? It hasn't started yet. No matter how you try, you always end up comparing it to the past. It was the wettest summer since..it was the coldest since....etc or if you are making predictions, it will be a summer similar to xxxx. The SSTs are similar to that year......People are going to give their opinion on what summer what they want and what they don't want. They are going to reminisce, I hope we get a similar storm to xxxx this summer. Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The first 3rd of June is looking good at this stage. High pressure still on track to arrive by the end of the week and low pressue may not make such a return as was first feared judging by the 00z this morning.

• Like 1