Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

think 97 high placing is due to higher overnight minima then high daytime maxina... indeed summer 97 wasnt a 'hot' one like the other sunny summers/months were on that list.

not looking good for heat... IF the atlantic kicks in as currently expected after the messy breakdown. once that jet has kicked off and we get a mobile atlantic regime, its unlikely imho to go anywhere fast, so a return to sun/settled/heat is unlikely although autumn might be nice... (but september isnt summer... as per my sig)

Of course September is in Summer. It always greatly annoys me that people seem to think Summer comes to an end on September 1st or 4th for when the holidays are over, the same as people seem to think that June 1st is Summer, or even the middle of May some people!! I don't consider Summer over until the last week of September and even then I've known Indian summers and very warm weather at the end of September or beginning of October. 

You can't put an end date of a season on the start date of the month, like September, especially as the sun's relativity to the Earth, and Meteorologists dictate that the end of Summer is technically September 21st. Even then you can still have very warm weather before or after that date. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

As far as I am concerned, the seasons will start whenever...March 2012 was hardly winter; March 2013 was hardly spring. Climate doesn't obey manmade timescales...Posted Image 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I normally call the end of summer when the first single digit minimum appears. If it's chilly when I leave the house in the morning and not warm enough to sit in the garden in the evening, it just isn't summer. Excluding 2011 which was exceptional considering how unsettled September was leading up to the hot spell, I can't think of a summery enough spell of weather in September since 2006. The settled spells in 2007, 2008 and 2009 all felt like early autumn.

Posted

I think people take the calendar too seriously at times. It's the same in winter when people declare it over by Valentines day, even though you can (and often do) get wintry weather throughout March and even into April. I, personally, consider September more "summer" than "autumn".

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I think people take the calendar too seriously at times. It's the same in winter when people declare it over by Valentines day, even though you can (and often do) get wintry weather throughout March and even into April. I, personally, consider September more "summer" than "autumn".

Same, we had a good week of summery weather in the first half of last September here, with temperatures consistently in the mid 20's accompanied by lots of sunshine. It looked and felt like Summer, so to me it was Summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Temperatures to peak at 34c before the storms arrive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23393858

Heard that this morning on news 24, comes with some high humidity...

...may become a very uncomfortable few days for many.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

What a brilliant July this has turned out to be

19 out of the 21 days this month have had temperatures above 20c the lowest day time max is 18.5c

July 2012 had only 17 days above 20c for the entire month here in Darlo!!

The lowest day time max in July 2012 was a pathetic 14.9c

Posted

What a brilliant July this has turned out to be

19 out of the 21 days this month have had temperatures above 20c the lowest day time max is 18.5c

July 2012 had only 17 days above 20c for the entire month here in Darlo!!

The lowest day time max in July 2012 was a pathetic 14.9c

It really has been brilliant when you look at it like that, very similar to 2006. 

Only trouble is being a heatlover you can't help but wan't more and it feels like it's been too short. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

It has been a lovely month up till now, if a tad too hot occasionallyPosted Image . Its just a case of enduring and getting rid of the horrid weather just about to arrive and last over the next few days and then hopefully it will be quiet and pleasantly warm again, even though the back to back days of sunshine seem unlikely to return

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

It has been a lovely month up till now, if a tad too hot occasionallyPosted Image . Its just a case of enduring and getting rid of the horrid weather just about to arrive and last over the next few days and then hopefully it will be quiet and pleasantly warm again, even though the back to back days of sunshine seem unlikely to return

Looking at the hot weather on the continent I wouldn't be surprised if we get another plume, just need the high pressure to return and the warm air to come over us again. 

Certainly won't bank on it though lol, especially with our terrible recent August's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Looking at the hot weather on the continent I wouldn't be surprised if we get another plume, just need the high pressure to return and the warm air to come over us again. 

Certainly won't bank on it though lol, especially with our terrible recent August's.

I think the chances of another plume are (maybe) receding slightly as the pattern adjusts a little further eastwards, but it is too soon to be thankful and sure of that, and besides there is still the current one which is only just beginning to have to get through first.

Its a case of getting to hump-day Wednesday and hopefully that will be the last of it (she says fingers crossed)

Some pleasantly warm sunshine and occasional (normal) rain will be quite acceptable afterwards..but not another plume!

Posted

I think the chances of another plume are (maybe) receding slightly as the pattern adjusts a little further eastwards, but it is too soon to be thankful and sure of that, and besides there is still the current one which is only just beginning to have to get through first.

Its a case of getting to hump-day Wednesday and hopefully that will be the last of it (she says fingers crossed)

Some pleasantly warm sunshine and occasional (normal) rain will be quite acceptable afterwards..but not another plume!

Haha fair enough, not a fan of the heat I take it. 

Well I for one want this to last as long as possible, it has been remarkably dry so obviously rain is inevitable at some point, and needed come a certain point. I'd just like us to have a right old Summer for a change. They'll be plenty of time to be soaking up all the rain and cloud for six months. 

All I want is two-three months of nice settled warm weather into September to break up the monotony. 

Posted

All I want is two-three months of nice settled warm weather into September to break up the monotony. 

Um, there can't be anything more monotonous than a 3-month spell of the 'no weather' of a settled spell! 

• Like 1

Posted

Um, there can't be anything more monotonous than a 3-month spell of the 'no weather' of a settled spell! 

Ehhh, I'd take three months of warm sunny weather over three months of rain, cloud and wind any day, Which is what the very large percentage of previous Summer's have consisted of. Nothing more depressing than that we you know it's going to be the same for the other nine months. I'm not saying that I expect it to be like that all the time, as much as I detest Winter and some of the Autumn I put up with them because their necessary. However when you've had the dismal spell of Summer's we've had I don't think it's asking a lot to have one really good one.  

You dislike Summer, that much is evident. You've had a great run, must of been in you're element the last seven years as I'm sure you will be this coming Winter.

I'm afraid the vast majority of people like me want a decent summer for once, we're fed up of the rain, cold and cloud.

Meanwhile you enjoy you're nine months of unsettled gloom, who seems more hard done by?  

Edited by matty007
  • Like 3

Posted

A small update from my original summer forecast back in May,

First onto August and September the CFS seems confident on average temperatures for the rest of the summer. As for rainfall, August average with some Western area's seeing below average rainfall as we move into September things change around with most of the UK seeing very wet weather to end the summer.

And with more data available I have reran the climate simulator for the temperatures,

The pink line is our forecast average temperature and the green line is the average so its basically saying the average temperatures for the rest of summer to be mainly 1.5c above average.

Edited by weathermaster
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A small update from my original summer forecast back in May,

First onto August and September the CFS seems confident on average temperatures for the rest of the summer. As for rainfall, August average with some Western area's seeing below average rainfall as we move into September things change around with most of the UK seeing very wet weather to end the summer.

And with more data available I have reran the climate simulator for the temperatures,

Posted ImageSummer.png

The pink line is our forecast average temperature and the green line is the average so its basically saying the average temperatures for the rest of summer to be mainly 1.5c above average.

Whats the red line?

Posted

Whats the red line?

Red line average daily maximum temperature and blue line average daily minimum temperature.

• Like 1

Posted

Ehhh, I'd take three months of warm sunny weather over three months of rain, cloud and wind any day....

Moan,moan,moan.... no need to get upset just cos' I pointed out your misuse of the word 'monotonous' and that you can't have 32C every day of the year. The thread is about summer 2013 an' all I'm saying is that I can't wait to see its demise. When was the last time we had any meaningful rain anyway? And you think you're hard done by. Sheesh! But something good is gonna come of these storms - I can feel it, for the first time in aeons.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Moan,moan,moan.... no need to get upset just cos' I pointed out your misuse of the word 'monotonous' and that you can't have 32C every day of the year. The thread is about summer 2013 an' all I'm saying is that I can't wait to see its demise. When was the last time we had any meaningful rain anyway? And you think you're hard done by. Sheesh! But something good is gonna come of these storms - I can feel it, for the first time in aeons.

What on Earth are you on about, barrie...? Now go and have yourself a nice vindaloo...Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

When was the last time we had any meaningful rain anyway?

Last Summer, and the summer before that...oh and the summer before that.

• Like 4

Posted

Last Summer, and the summer before that...oh and the summer before that.

By the UK's standard we are now officially in a draught then. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I normally call the end of summer when the first single digit minimum appears. If it's chilly when I leave the house in the morning and not warm enough to sit in the garden in the evening, it just isn't summer. Excluding 2011 which was exceptional considering how unsettled September was leading up to the hot spell, I can't think of a summery enough spell of weather in September since 2006. The settled spells in 2007, 2008 and 2009 all felt like early autumn.

Didn't tullock bridge record 3 degrees min a couple of days ago........surely its not the end of summer!!!!