Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

After the west had the best warmth over the past week or so next week that will transfer to the east thanks to westerly winds

Those in the east who've had cloud and low temperatures keep the faith your turn is just around the corner

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Wind direction really makes all the difference for different places at times in this country, many western areas have been enjoying perfect summer weather for a week or more with temps into the 20's and cloudless skies, where as eastern areas have been cooler and at times very cool and cloudy. Later this week things will reverse a bit with warmer weather in the east due to the wind direction.

In the west I would crave these summer spells with easterly surface flow, whilst if I lived in the east I would be longing for them to leave. When I am not at uni I am much closer to the west scenario so usually like similar set ups to the current one. Am currently at uni although been decent here usually, would have been great to be in Devon, great place to be in this excellent weather they had.

Come live in Leeds, bar 2 mornings and 1 full day we've had a tonne of sunshine. East or west is fine for me.

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah, been quite good here just west of London bar today and a couple mornings too, and for some other more eastern areas I assume if you don't mind slightly cooler maxima than some western areas. Days like today with low cloud over some eastern parts give the biggest difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, the good news is - the wind is backing...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Here in Sandhutton I think I've got quite lucky at times because the North Sea low cloud has tended to clip the coast over Northumberland and Tyneside and then drift inland further south, leaving inland North Yorkshire sat in clear skies to the north-west of it.  There have been two cloudy mornings here (the 5th and today) but otherwise skies have been clear or partly cloudy.  I certainly feel for those in parts of E Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and East Anglia where banks of cloud have been pretty persistent recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

seems that some members have had it gloomy,its been very summery here for over a week now,except for 1 day and we had 2 hours that afternoon,just the background temp letting it down wit a high of 19 all week,yet it feels 25 in the sun!

Posted

To be honest  I don't think it's been all that great in this area of the NW either really, yes there's been plenty of sunny periods but that pesky cloud has gotten in the way a bit too much for my liking particular during midday to early Afternoon hours,  Tuesday and Thursday I'll make exception for however as they pretty much perfect throughput.

Edited by SnowObsessor90

Posted

All you moaners should move here - nowt but blue skies and warmth for as long as I care to remember. Roll on Tuesday,let alone autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

not sure why some people have been moaning about the supposed warmth and wishing autumn upon us... ^^ a-hem... i mean, its hardly been hot, its not been humid, nights have been cool so why i understand that non heat lovers dont like it hot and humid, surely this past week or so should suit most (who havnt been plagued by north sea cloud). sunny, dry and fresh... whats there to moan about ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I know they are the minor models but BOM, GEM and NAVGEM all supporting a decent shot at an Azores high in FI.

edit: meant to post this in the MOD but still relavent here.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted

Some of the posts remind me of the winter, not this not that not perfect, oh dear oh dear. Why not become realistic or is that asking too much?

The weathere here has been dry for 10 days, fairly warm and sunny at times with an airflow originating from polar areas so never humid, and thus not warm enough I suspect for many for evening B-B-Q's. Too much N Sea cloud to be totally happy but such is life.

A big improvement for this area for the start of June last year when over 30mm of rain already and only one day over 20C in the first 10 days.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 5

Posted

While temperatures over the last week may have disappointed some, let's face it we were never promised a heatwave. In fact historically the first half of June is rarely hot. In the great summers of 1990 and 1995 it was cold and fairly wet until the last third and even in '76 the real heat didn't get going until the 21st. And though it looks like this week may be relatively unsettled it's nothing like last years horrendous June - just normal for the time of year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the general maxim is "many people are never satisfied".  If the temperatures are below a certain level many people will complain that it's not warm enough, any higher than they'll complain that it's too hot.  I've noticed that depending on what you're doing, a temperature can be sub-optimal both ways, e.g. 20C and sunshine can be a bit cool for a barbeque if the BBQ is situated out of the sun and exposed to a pesky easterly breeze, but on the hot side for doing heavy exercise in the sun and out of the wind.

In many areas of life I'm not a supporter of the "you've just got to grin and bear it" philosophy, but weather, as something that we have no control over, is a notable exception.

• Like 1

Posted

Perhaps it will come to me but i just don't have the anticipation of heat yet for summer in me, i find myself wishing for a phase 1 and 5 MJO in July and they are cool/cold and wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

Apart from one cloudy day it has been superb, wall to wall sunshine most days and feeling quite warm, best spell of weather in a long time.

Posted

I think the general maxim is "many people are never satisfied".  If the temperatures are below a certain level many people will complain that it's not warm enough, any higher than they'll complain that it's too hot. 

I'm very clear-cut on this - anything above 12C is excessive!! 11 days to go guys before that pivotal day... and ye I don't need reminding that the heat is still to come, but at least that's one fixed milestone that no wishful thinking's gonna change. BBQ's are for folk who have faulty cookers/ not paid the energy bill/ like salmonella/ blokes who want to display their inner machoness but otherwise wouldn't go within ten yards of the indoor cooker etc etc etc. And they stink the entire neighborhood out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Those -ve SST anomalies have been much reduced, seemingly right across the northern hemisphere. Clear change around the British Isles and just to our north.

post-6901-0-42343100-1370863048_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I get the feeling that once the inner continents have warmed sufficiently we will see a far 'pleasanter' summer than of late with the European monsoon not bringing us the same issues it has over the past number of summers?

If the low ice in the Arctic is messing with the Jet then , this time, it'll be central Europe that sits under the nasty trough ( I believe) and we will be enough removed to allow frequent settled conditions? Looking at the jet patterns this spring we see the U.S. under the exact opposite of that which brought them their 'heatwave spring' last year and the current floods in central Europe suggest to me out portion of the jet has also wriggled along by a similar amount? ( results of last years record low ice levels???)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

While temperatures over the last week may have disappointed some, let's face it we were never promised a heatwave. In fact historically the first half of June is rarely hot. In the great summers of 1990 and 1995 it was cold and fairly wet until the last third and even in '76 the real heat didn't get going until the 21st. And though it looks like this week may be relatively unsettled it's nothing like last years horrendous June - just normal for the time of year.

I must admit i have been studying the charts leading to the heatwave in June 1976, not that i have high expectations about this Summer Posted Image . On the 20th June we had unsettled westerlies across the UK. 5 days later we were in the most notable heatwave of the past century. Anthing can happen this Summer. The good sign is less high pressure over Greenland forcing low pressure southwards.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

I'm very clear-cut on this - anything above 12C is excessive!! 11 days to go guys before that pivotal day... and ye I don't need reminding that the heat is still to come, but at least that's one fixed milestone that no wishful thinking's gonna change. BBQ's are for folk who have faulty cookers/ not paid the energy bill/ like salmonella/ blokes who want to display their inner machoness but otherwise wouldn't go within ten yards of the indoor cooker etc etc etc. And they stink the entire neighborhood out.

Can't beat a sweeping statement! Hilarious :)Fingers crossed for a good summer, I've been waiting for a decent one since 2006

Posted

Can't beat a sweeping statement! Hilarious Posted Image

Glad I've made someone happy!  Anyway... barbecues. What's the attraction? I cannot for the life of me see the attraction in wheeling out and setting up some Heath Robinson device to cook a very limited range of food al fresco. Then all the messin' around putting it away an' stuff. If that's your bag, why not do it properly indoors then take it outside?? It just smacks of going out of one's way to make a simple job difficult, just cos' it's the done thing to do at this horrible time of year. I hate the things, and the nearest you'll get me to a barbecue is a tube of Pringles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Glad I've made someone happy!  Anyway... barbecues. What's the attraction? I cannot for the life of me see the attraction in wheeling out and setting up some Heath Robinson device to cook a very limited range of food al fresco. Then all the messin' around putting it away an' stuff. If that's your bag, why not do it properly indoors then take it outside?? It just smacks of going out of one's way to make a simple job difficult, just cos' it's the done thing to do at this horrible time of year. I hate the things, and the nearest you'll get me to a barbecue is a tube of Pringles.

Haha I completely agree! For some reason BBQs really wind me up. I think it's just the general mentality- 'sun's come out, I must go out of my way to cook outside'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Haha I completely agree! For some reason BBQs really wind me up. I think it's just the general mentality- 'sun's come out, I must go out of my way to cook outside'.

What's not to like about copious amounts of seared meat?

• Like 1

Posted

does this chart scream 12c and slate grey skies ?http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013061006/gfs-0-6.png?6 cos that is what it is here today, dear me, a couple of days ago the forecast for today was sunny and 20c, forecast was wrong by 8c, in winter when it is forecast to be 8c it never ends up being 0c but thats just typical of this climate