Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Why is someone a muppet for liking mild south westerlies in winter?

Barrie only comes out at night, and in the depth of winter...Posted Image

Posted

For those wanting cold weather in the summer  I hope we get  a  heatwave in midsummer that tempertures in the evening are in 17c/18c 19c and its unbearable to sleep Posted ImagePosted Image  oh yeah am a  muppet sorry.

• Like 2

Posted

I hope we get  a  heatwave in midsummer that tempertures in the evening are in 17c/18c 19c and its unbearable to sleep...

Well hey I hope ya get it too, but I'm at a loss as to why you'd wish that upon yourself. Care to elaborate?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'd certainly wish it as I'll have no problem sleeping and for once the words "it's too cold in this damn house" won't be spoken!

• Like 1

Posted

Why is someone a muppet for liking mild south westerlies in winter?

Okay okay, maybe a hasty choice of word there, though I'd guess that would be the preferred weather if you were a frog.... I'll amend it to 'clown'. I've heard worse descriptions of people like me who'd rather see monsoon conditions and ultra low temps at this time of year, instead of the hideous filth I'm having to endure right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I appreciate that it must be difficult for "reverse SAD" type sufferers at this time of year.

I don't see myself becoming fed up of sun and warmth anytime soon.  If we have a summer dominated by very stable conditions then I can certainly see myself getting "convection starved", but in that case it's really stability that is the issue- for significant convective activity it generally helps to have sun and warmth as well as instability, and indeed, the lack of sun and warmth during last year's summer was a significant factor in why many unstable cyclonic setups failed to bring much in the way of convection.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Well hey I hope ya get it too, but I'm at a loss as to why you'd wish that upon yourself. Care to elaborate?

Not really.. Just not had  any decent warm evenings  during "these poor summers" 

And please don't edit out parts of my conversation  thank you.

Edited by no1-as-a-clue

Posted

Unfortunately another snippet from the summer forecast has already begun to ring true, and I fear theres plenty more on the way through the course of the summer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22752544

The projected May rainfall anomaly:

http://www.ukweatherforecast.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/EuroRainMay.png

The June anomaly:

http://www.ukweatherforecast.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/EuroRainJune.png

And unfortunately, the July and August composites offer a similar prospect again. It could be a similar summer for the near continent to that of 2012 in the UK

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Unfortunately another snippet from the summer forecast has already begun to ring true, and I fear theres plenty more on the way through the course of the summer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22752544

The projected May rainfall anomaly:

http://www.ukweatherforecast.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/EuroRainMay.png

The June anomaly:

http://www.ukweatherforecast.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/EuroRainJune.png

And unfortunately, the July and August composites offer a similar prospect again. It could be a similar summer for the near continent to that of 2012 in the UK

SK

It does appear that those spots that have experienced heatwave conditions in recent summers are currently experiencing shocking amounts of rainfall.

Any of the more technical minded people able to explain what's causing that set-up over SE Germany/Czech Rep and Austria. What are the repercussions from the UK?

Posted

What a fantastic start to the meteorological summer!  A complete contrast to last year, and a real shame that the Jubilee bank holiday wasn't moved back and extended this year to celebrate the anniversary of the Coronation.  What is particularly frustrating is that the last Monday in May 2012 which would normally have been the bank holiday was such a glorious day, and that our last Monday in May 2013 bank holiday was a washout while the last 4 days have been superb...  I can't complain too much though because the last two weekends have both been nice and sunny here in Wales.

Still, it's nice to look back and have a laugh - worth reading this if you rely on the tabloids for forecasts Posted Image

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/diamond-jubilee-bank-holiday-weather-846870

The question is - will it last?  The last few days have certainly got me excited with the prospect of a decent sunny summer for the first time in what seems a long while, a bit like experiencing the first snowfall of December 2009.

Edited by virtualsphere
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes nothing frustrated me more than last years bank holiday move and our weather!

Decided to go for a bbq for bank hol - spent what was usually the bank hol weekend getting garden ready in shorts & t-shirt under very warm sunshine then spent the actual bank holiday grilling under pouring rain 11c with everyone inside with the heating on and me passing burgers in through the window. Horrible.

But yes great start to summer - scares me a little that it'll break just in time for my wedding and even more so that I'm spending all my free time doing wedding prep or at work so not really getting much chance to enjoy this weather. Hopefully more of a theme this year as we're long overdue a better summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Thanks looks like there cool around a lot of western Europe hopefully we'll see them warming up as we head into July got a lot of catching up to do this year following the bitter March we had

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Interesting that's different from this page which I have been watching recently and appears to have something to do with the Met Office

http://ghrsst-pp.metoffice.com/pages/latest_analysis/sst_monitor/ostia/anom_plot.html?i=34&j=2

it shows anomalies reducing around the UK in recent days, and positive anomalies just west of SW England! (and around some coasts where it has for a while, but been showing that for a while and not sure if that would be normal but shows +ve on anomalies as the data set used for the climate average isn't so detailed?)

We now have 13C SST's just west of the UK (See link below anomaly map on the site I gave above) which were more like 11C before this warmer sunny spell started, and 12C+ around some of our coasts.

Not sure which to believe when they say different things? inclined to believe the one I've linked to as more detailed, was hoping all the sunshine was helping SST's warm a bit anyway.

Don't think I've ever seen such a big June negative anomaly in the Med before.

Posted Image

Ah that's another one I haven't seen, out of interest how does it compare to other sites posted around the UK region if it shows that?

Edited by Stormmad26
  • Like 1

Posted

Only the Med on the Italian site.

You could try the close up on Meteociel - it has southern part of UK on the detailed map.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/sst.php?mode=0&jour=04&mois=06&annee=2013

Global here.  http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/sst.php?mode=1&jour=04&mois=06&annee=2013

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Get the chat going about what's going on in the model output discussion thread folks, please?

Looking ....faintly .... positive?

For late June/early July, at least?

Posted

Looks like the west of Ireland is doing brilliantly with this setup, 23C at Shannon today and more of the same tomorrow. They do seem to do very well there with easterlies/north easterlies.

Interesting that's different from this page which I have been watching recently and appears to have something to do with the Met Office

http://ghrsst-pp.metoffice.com/pages/latest_analysis/sst_monitor/ostia/anom_plot.html?i=34&j=2

it shows anomalies reducing around the UK in recent days, and positive anomalies just west of SW England! (and around some coasts where it has for a while, but been showing that for a while and not sure if that would be normal but shows +ve on anomalies as the data set used for the climate average isn't so detailed?)

We now have 13C SST's just west of the UK (See link below anomaly map on the site I gave above) which were more like 11C before this warmer sunny spell started, and 12C+ around some of our coasts.

Not sure which to believe when they say different things? inclined to believe the one I've linked to as more detailed, was hoping all the sunshine was helping SST's warm a bit anyway.

Ah that's another one I haven't seen, out of interest how does it compare to other sites posted around the UK region if it shows that?

I have never seen that link before, it seems to be in better details and perhaps it is picking up things that the worldwide view is missing out on.

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

''I'm thinking along the lines of a warm, perhaps hot June and an unsettled late July and August spell? Overall drier and warmer than average remains the favoured outcome for me.Sorry it's brief, still having to use my phone!''

AND

''I'd go along with that. I think 2/3rds of this summer will be very useable. Certainly drier than average and perhaps warmer than average too. Late July into August looks like the most likely period to be plagued by wetter and cooler weather.''

Let's see how my thoughts from April stack up on August 31st. Certainly looking promising for you HP lovers.

Posted

Back to sunshine again after early mist/cloud evaporated (gone by 8am completely) so a much better day than Weds or Thurs with sunlight available when its most useful to me.

Could do with these temps rising a bit - minima of 9c and just making it to the high teens is 'ok' but this really feels more like a mid spring spell than summer. Just 3c up would do as a start (6c would be perfect).

Still its only early summer plenty of time yet - I hope!