Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
This is my forecast that I issued to my friends and followers on my Facebook page.  Please bear in mind that it is not especially aimed at meteorology experts, more my friends and general public, and also I localise it for my area, Reading/Berkshire.  I do not cover the whole UK.  I do not have a meteorology degree or the knowledge of many on here.  It is mostly based on 10 years of following models and knowledge gained from websites such as Netweather.

I guess I should stop sitting on my Summer forecast and publish it. These are my initial thoughts, I probably will refine and update it in a couple of weeks.

I like to issue my long-range forecasts before the tiny handful of other forecasters I respect publish theirs so I do not get influenced away from my thoughts. I have seen a wide variety of forecasts for this summer from other amateurs, from the dire to the sublime. Most reasonable forecasters are still hedging their bets from what I see, with good reason.

Firstly I should review my Spring forecast that I issued in February.

“March I think will be generally cool or cold at times for the first half, with further snowfalls and frost likely but will switch to a warmish spell in the last 10 days - possibly reaching 20'C in the south. The warmish spell I expect will last at least 5 of the last 10 days. Drier than average though I expect a brief wet spell between the cold and warmish spells.

April I also feel will be much nicer than 2012, not quite on a par with 2011 but good overall. Again drier than average.

May back to the monsoon.â€

The first half of March I was spot on – the second, erm, pretty damn wrong. April I emphasised how dry it would be, which it was.  May I went for cool and wet – it hasn’t been as wet as I had expected (although we have a week left for that to change!). I am happy in general with that.

Average is the predominant word for the coming season, in my opinion. Which is a far better prospect than the last 6 summers.

So for June. I expect the predominant weather to be high pressure to the north of Scotland, with the Jetstream pattern fluctuating from France, bringing showers at times, and a split pattern with it going far north of Iceland and far south of Spain, giving more settled periods. My estimate is a week on-week off kind of pattern. One week of mostly cool, unsettled weather, followed by a week of fine, quite warm, if not exactly glorious weather. Overall, average temperatures, slightly above average rainfall and slightly below average sunshine. I am 65% confident of this solution. Other options remain on the table – a 10% chance of mostly wet and miserable, a 25% mostly chance of hot and sunny. Head to Scotland for the best weather.

July. Oh July. I got truly soaked last July. This July, I am expecting high pressure to be predominant over Scandinavia for much of the month, with the Azores high to our south-west also ridging in. This would mean a good proportion of the month with hot and sunny weather. Equally I do except near-average rainfall too, sometimes with imported continental or home-grown downpours/thunderstorms, at other times cooler, fresher weather with some rain/showers temporarily displacing the high pressure. More dry days than wet days at around 70% dry days. The beginning of the month probably the driest part – the end of the month the wettest. Overall I expect above-average temperatures, slightly below-average rainfall, above-average sunshine. There are a lot of indicators to this solution but common sense and recent history suggests to me that I am being way too optimistic. But I am confident of this solution at around 80%.

August will most likely carry on as July finished – unsettled. The Jetstream will most likely resume its trajectory of recent summers towards the UK. The first part of the month I believe will see some good sunny, warm days but finished off with heavy downpours and thunderstorms. As the month goes on, increasingly less sunshine with low pressure troughs situated close to or over the UK bringing several days of rain or showers, below-average temperatures with just a handful of decent days. Overall average temperatures but warmer at first, average sunshine and above-average rainfall. I am 60% confident for August.

I may as well touch on autumn and winter as they are normally far easier to predict in advance.

Hurricanes are not my speciality but the only forecaster whose word I treat as gospel and would force me to change my forecast is a guy called Joe Bastardi. Based in America and more famed for his anti global-warming rants roughly event 10 minutes on his Twitter feed, totally drowning out the snippets of incredibly useful weather information which for Europe are now as rare as a transexual hen’s teeth unless you pay a monthly subscription. He was the one who put me onto the idea of cold winters back in 2007/08 when everyone else said that global warming meant we would only experience snow in virtual reality machines.

The useful snippet of information that I gleaned from the mass of 140-characters is the expectation for a busy hurricane season on the Atlantic coast. Which in my limited experience of tracking hurricanes means one of two things for the UK as the summer ends, depending on the jetstream track. A Jetstream to the north of the UK will send the remnants of hurricanes far north, bringing those very warm, even hot Septembers and sometimes also Octobers. A Jetstream pattern straight towards the UK will just bring us more rain and wind. So September I believe will be either hot or wet, depending on how the Jetstream is functioning.

Initial thoughts for latter part of the year are October unsettled, November dry, December unsettled with the rest of winter cold. But there is much to play for before then and that is only a guide on current expectations and I will be surprised if everything I have predicted for the months before comes true.

Sometimes it is impossible to forecast two days away, and I find long-range forecasts far harder for summer than any other period – I do suffer from over-optimism at times in life so it does concern me that I am forecasting the best summer since 2006!

Fingers crossed I at least get July right.

I look forward to reading the efforts of all the other forecasters.  Good luck.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

This is my forecast that I issued to my friends and followers on my Facebook page.  Please bear in mind that it is not especially aimed at meteorology experts, more my friends and general public, and also I localise it for my area, Reading/Berkshire.  I do not cover the whole UK.  I do not have a meteorology degree or the knowledge of many on here.  It is mostly based on 10 years of following models and knowledge gained from websites such as Netweather.

I guess I should stop sitting on my Summer forecast and publish it. These are my initial thoughts, I probably will refine and update it in a couple of weeks.

I like to issue my long-range forecasts before the tiny handful of other forecasters I respect publish theirs so I do not get influenced away from my thoughts. I have seen a wide variety of forecasts for this summer from other amateurs, from the dire to the sublime. Most reasonable forecasters are still hedging their bets from what I see, with good reason.

Firstly I should review my Spring forecast that I issued in February.

“March I think will be generally cool or cold at times for the first half, with further snowfalls and frost likely but will switch to a warmish spell in the last 10 days - possibly reaching 20'C in the south. The warmish spell I expect will last at least 5 of the last 10 days. Drier than average though I expect a brief wet spell between the cold and warmish spells.

April I also feel will be much nicer than 2012, not quite on a par with 2011 but good overall. Again drier than average.

May back to the monsoon.â€

The first half of March I was spot on – the second, erm, pretty damn wrong. April I emphasised how dry it would be, which it was.  May I went for cool and wet – it hasn’t been as wet as I had expected (although we have a week left for that to change!). I am happy in general with that.

Average is the predominant word for the coming season, in my opinion. Which is a far better prospect than the last 6 summers.

So for June. I expect the predominant weather to be high pressure to the north of Scotland, with the Jetstream pattern fluctuating from France, bringing showers at times, and a split pattern with it going far north of Iceland and far south of Spain, giving more settled periods. My estimate is a week on-week off kind of pattern. One week of mostly cool, unsettled weather, followed by a week of fine, quite warm, if not exactly glorious weather. Overall, average temperatures, slightly above average rainfall and slightly below average sunshine. I am 65% confident of this solution. Other options remain on the table – a 10% chance of mostly wet and miserable, a 25% mostly chance of hot and sunny. Head to Scotland for the best weather.

July. Oh July. I got truly soaked last July. This July, I am expecting high pressure to be predominant over Scandinavia for much of the month, with the Azores high to our south-west also ridging in. This would mean a good proportion of the month with hot and sunny weather. Equally I do except near-average rainfall too, sometimes with imported continental or home-grown downpours/thunderstorms, at other times cooler, fresher weather with some rain/showers temporarily displacing the high pressure. More dry days than wet days at around 70% dry days. The beginning of the month probably the driest part – the end of the month the wettest. Overall I expect above-average temperatures, slightly below-average rainfall, above-average sunshine. There are a lot of indicators to this solution but common sense and recent history suggests to me that I am being way too optimistic. But I am confident of this solution at around 80%.

August will most likely carry on as July finished – unsettled. The Jetstream will most likely resume its trajectory of recent summers towards the UK. The first part of the month I believe will see some good sunny, warm days but finished off with heavy downpours and thunderstorms. As the month goes on, increasingly less sunshine with low pressure troughs situated close to or over the UK bringing several days of rain or showers, below-average temperatures with just a handful of decent days. Overall average temperatures but warmer at first, average sunshine and above-average rainfall. I am 60% confident for August.

I may as well touch on autumn and winter as they are normally far easier to predict in advance.

Hurricanes are not my speciality but the only forecaster whose word I treat as gospel and would force me to change my forecast is a guy called Joe laminate floori. Based in America and more famed for his anti global-warming rants roughly event 10 minutes on his Twitter feed, totally drowning out the snippets of incredibly useful weather information which for Europe are now as rare as a transexual hen’s teeth unless you pay a monthly subscription. He was the one who put me onto the idea of cold winters back in 2007/08 when everyone else said that global warming meant we would only experience snow in virtual reality machines.

The useful snippet of information that I gleaned from the mass of 140-characters is the expectation for a busy hurricane season on the Atlantic coast. Which in my limited experience of tracking hurricanes means one of two things for the UK as the summer ends, depending on the jetstream track. A Jetstream to the north of the UK will send the remnants of hurricanes far north, bringing those very warm, even hot Septembers and sometimes also Octobers. A Jetstream pattern straight towards the UK will just bring us more rain and wind. So September I believe will be either hot or wet, depending on how the Jetstream is functioning.

Initial thoughts for latter part of the year are October unsettled, November dry, December unsettled with the rest of winter cold. But there is much to play for before then and that is only a guide on current expectations and I will be surprised if everything I have predicted for the months before comes true.

Sometimes it is impossible to forecast two days away, and I find long-range forecasts far harder for summer than any other period – I do suffer from over-optimism at times in life so it does concern me that I am forecasting the best summer since 2006!

Fingers crossed I at least get July right.

I look forward to reading the efforts of all the other forecasters.  Good luck.

very interesting but the best forcasts in the world are lucky if they get 2 weeks right.i think that 2 very good summers per decade are about average,especially these parts so the best summer since 2006 is not hard to guess at since the last 6 have been c@$p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

There is plenty of time for a summerlike pattern to evolve of course but at the moment I think it is very questionable that the Azores High is looking very willing to ridge towards us with ease. Thus far it has done everything but do that, and against the background of such a long standing amplified pattern, that is reluctant to change, then the Azores High will continue to struggle to ridge towards us.

There is no reliable sign, other than some very FI GFS ensemble data that so far keeps proving to have the wrong signal, that this is going to happen yet. - and the last updates from the METO for up to the next 30 days continue to suggest that the Azores High will be held to the west of us with only occasional slight influence to south western parts and an unsettled and rather cool outlook predominating. That covers approaching two thirds of a six week period.

Things can change and may well do - but against a background of such an entrenched amplified pattern then, for the time being at least imo, I would suggest caution that this will happen, certainly with any speed - however much many of us (myself included) would welcome it.

The Azores high has been ridging north with ease. I provided a chart that showed it just happened over the last week and is forecast to continue happening over the next 8-10 days at least. Just because they it hasn't delivered the goods for the UK (it's been quite nice in Ireland!) doesn't mean it ain't happening. An amplified pattern certainly doesn't weaken the chances of an Azores ridge, the very fact that the pattern is amplified would enhance the trough and ridge features, no?

Here are the charts again

Last Week ......................................................... 8-10 days ahead

Posted Imagepost-6901-0-38380400-1369416537_thumb.gi

Having the Azores ridge to our west rather than a Greenie high is a positive imo, combine that with strong heights around Scandinavia and the potential is therePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I will be finalising my summer thoughts during this weekend but just to say, very little has changed from my thoughts posted here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72635-the-seasonal-forecast-thread/?p=2670262

As previously discussed, one of the better periods of the summer looked to be Late May/First Half of June....I look at the moment to be about 5-7 days out on this, but certainly as we head into June the prospect of a more pleasant spell looks increasingly likely.

The next likely extended settled spell then looks most likely around the middle of July.

Also, as previously stated, there is an expectation based around rolling the current analogue years forward into the Autumn (and assuming that ENSO and QBO behave as expected) that October may end up being the best month of the year - thats one that I will have to keep an eye on as the months roll by.

The predominant pattern for the summer is still expected to be the mean Sceuro type trough pattern, with temperatures below average and rainfall around average. Thus far May has backed these thoughts up for me, and indeed if we take a look at a couple of examples from this month so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And compare it to the expected 500mb anomalies projected from the two best match analogue years for May:

post-1038-0-44975400-1369426031_thumb.pn

And the overall QBO derived analogue years:

post-1038-0-66062800-1369426058_thumb.pn

We see a pretty strong resemblance to the month so far - the predominant flow from a Northerly quadrant, with the positive and negative 500mb anomalies placed in similar fashion.

This, in turn, lead to an unusually high rainfall anomaly projection for the near continent:

post-1038-0-01394900-1369426262_thumb.pn

And so it is even more interesting to read this from Nick Sussex:

Good grief this May down here has been dire, atrocious would be an understatement. Just reading the local paper temperatures are currently running 5C below average. The rain has been relentless, I've had my heating on for most of the month! The outlook looks equally deflating with limpet troughing reluctant to leave Europe.

Some hints of high pressure on the ECM in FI but so far this hasn't lasted into the more reliable timeframe, and it could well be that high pressure much further north delivers yet more dismal conditions to southern Europe with lower pressure here.

Obviously the enhanced May rainfall anomaly didn't quite stretch down that far based upon the analogue years, but an indication nonetheless that the continent has been seeing this enhanced rainfall signal.

SK

• Like 4

Posted

The only negative so far, is the crashing hemispheric snow cover over the last few weeks. Very low late spring/summer snow cover has been a feature of the last few years. I'm not sure of any studies linking the snow cover with our summer weather (like the Eurasian October snow cover/Winter AO relationship), so it may not have much of an impact.

Did Jennifer Francis not remark that the lack of Spring snow cover was probable cause for the persistence of the recent HL blocking and related W.European trough in summer. I haven't kept the links to her paper and video from last summer but I do remember that point being mentioned.

Posted

Realistically, I think the word "average" will be the best description for Summer 2013. I can see an improvement on 2012, even 2011! 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Realistically, I think the word "average" will be the best description for Summer 2013. I can see an improvement on 2012, even 2011! 

Personally i think unstable but getting worse as it goes along will the summer 2013 description. Despite my CET prediction (different method) i still think that June stands the best chance of sustained summer weather, July and August won't be devoid but i do think that cool will probably win out.

Summer 2010 with a cooler July then is probably what i'd go for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

The Azores high has been ridging north with ease. I provided a chart that showed it just happened over the last week and is forecast to continue happening over the next 8-10 days at least. Just because they it hasn't delivered the goods for the UK (it's been quite nice in Ireland!) doesn't mean it ain't happening. An amplified pattern certainly doesn't weaken the chances of an Azores ridge, the very fact that the pattern is amplified would enhance the trough and ridge features, no?

Here are the charts again

Last Week ......................................................... 8-10 days ahead

Posted ImagePosted Image8-10compare.gif

Having the Azores ridge to our west rather than a Greenie high is a positive imo, combine that with strong heights around Scandinavia and the potential is therePosted Image

Good luck with your prediction. I'm sure you know better about most of these things Posted Image . I'm just a girl, who gives a simple pov (not many of us try and enter the cavePosted Image ) and just reads simply between the lines Posted Image Que sera etc.. 

And I should believe you - afterall I have family descendants who come from CorkPosted Image

Edit: one thing is that you said in your first post that the Azores High was ridging towards us (with ease). In this reply you state it has been ridging north (with ease). That is the difference - ridging north is part of the amplified pattern I mentioned and it can mean that the higher pressure pattern stays stuck out to the west. We actually need a flatter pattern to guide the Azores High east - that is my point

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

The only negative so far, is the crashing hemispheric snow cover over the last few weeks. Very low late spring/summer snow cover has been a feature of the last few years. I'm not sure of any studies linking the snow cover with our summer weather (like the Eurasian October snow cover/Winter AO relationship), so it may not have much of an impact.

Posted Image

Overall though, I think there is reason to be optimistic if you're a fan of summery weather.

Cant you number crunch the last 45 yrs of data and seem if you come up with anything Posted Image

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/table_area.php?ui_set=0&ui_sort=1

A hot and dry UK summer is expected from my point of view, which is lunar longrange. My reason is the juxtapositioning of moon phase, declination and perigee cycles, and the similarity of this to past years. I expect potentials for heatwaves in India in the second half of June, Canada to be hot enough for forest fires by the end of June, heatwaves in the US Midwest and East in July, then heatwaves in France by the start of August and in the UK through August. Close perigeal southern declinating full moons, with their associated kingtides, set up dry hot intervals for July and August. A resurging second sunspot peak in cycle #24 may occur about September, which could add to the hot conditions. I'd say enjoy it while it lasts. The situation may not be as good next year.

Ken Ring

www.predictweather.com

• Like 3

Posted

Did Jennifer Francis not remark that the lack of Spring snow cover was probable cause for the persistence of the recent HL blocking and related W.European trough in summer. I haven't kept the links to her paper and video from last summer but I do remember that point being mentioned.

I've heard mention of it, and she does suggest that the summer snow cover losses causes a more high amplitude jet.

I'm not sure if any studies have been done to specifically look at the summer snow and Greenland high pressure link, other than some tentative claims, but I may be wrong.

Posted

Good luck with your prediction. I'm sure you know better about most of these things Posted Image . I'm just a girl, who gives a simple pov (not many of us try and enter the cavePosted Image ) and just reads simply between the lines Posted Image Que sera etc.. 

And I should believe you - afterall I have family descendants who come from CorkPosted Image

Edit: one thing is that you said in your first post that the Azores High was ridging towards us (with ease). In this reply you state it has been ridging north (with ease). That is the difference - ridging north is part of the amplified pattern I mentioned and it can mean that the higher pressure pattern stays stuck out to the west. We actually need a flatter pattern to guide the Azores High east - that is my point

I didn't say it was ridging over us, just towards us. But I concede, I should have been more clear.

I think that to get the Azores high anywhere near us requires strong ridging and a somewhat amplified pattern in general (as well as a dozen other things to fall into place!), it's just a case of where the upper trough and ridge features set up shop.

I think you must know something about the people here that I don't, 'cause I wouldn't believe what most of the mad Cork folk tell mePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I posted my LRF in the other thread, and I continue to hold optimistic views on summer 2013. Generally a warm, dry and sunny pattern with brief interruptions, CET values 1 to 1.5 degrees above normal.

There are complex reasons buried in my research, but on the more simplified scale of teleconnections, you can see that a strong Azores high and a persistent north European high have been present for some time now, with a trough generally disrupting their chances of linking up. It appears likely that this disruption will fade through June and we could see some strong linkage of high pressure near or just north of Ireland and the north-central parts of Britain. This will no doubt promote periods of stagnant high pressure closer to southern Britain and northern France.

With 1976 in the analogue set, we can't rule out a notably hot and dry summer, but I will curb my enthusiasm and say warmer than average, fairly dry with probable outbreaks of severe storms at times generally from north-central Ireland across Wales, the Midlands and parts of south central England. The summer most likely to compare would be 2005.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The sun is saying we're going to have the longest cold spell since 1968 with June, July and August are set to be cooler than average

We know what happens when the papers come up with these stories the opposite happens just like in winter

• Like 1

Posted

The sun is saying we're going to have the longest cold spell since 1968 with June, July and August are set to be cooler than average

We know what happens when the papers come up with these stories the opposite happens just like in winter

God I sincerely hope they're on the ball for once - I've seriously had enough of the current grime and hideousness already.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its a nice outlook as we enter Summer. But i cant wait till we see the dark oranges and reds on the charts indicative of the first proper heat of the summer.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

An 'average' summer will do me fine...That would mean more storms than last year, more sun than last year, higher temps than last year and better flowers and vegetables than last year...Do I want another 1976, 95 or 2006? Certainly not!Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted

The Met Office outlooks are definitely very nice. Here in Glasgow, I don't think it's quite reached 20c yet, but it still feels very warm all the same. A cool, sunny month where the rain falls in showers rather than all day long is far more enjoyable than a month like June 2006.

Posted

As much as I would love a 1995/2003/2006 outcome (from what I've heard about 1976 would turn me into a snow and cold lover lol), this is not realistic.

I think a 2004/5 which was warm, but not overly warm will happen. 

• Like 1

Posted

Its been anomalously cool for too long. Bring on a significantly warmer than average month (or 3) for once and the perfect time for it to occur is in Summer.

• Like 2

Posted

2005 is widely acknowleged as a good summer but it was characterised by some very good spells but also some very cool ones too. As i quickly get irritated by long spells of coolness during Summer, im not sure if i would want a repeat of that. 2004 was average but wet at times, so not sure i would want a repeat of that either. I say bring on another 76 or 95. In my time of model watching i've never experienced a proper heatwave so it would be great to see one materialise.

Posted

2005 is widely acknowleged as a good summer but it was characterised by some very good spells but also some very cool ones too. As i quickly get irritated by long spells of coolness during Summer, im not sure if i would want a repeat of that. 2004 was average but wet at times, so not sure i would want a repeat of that either. I say bring on another 76 or 95. In my time of model watching i've never experienced a proper heatwave so it would be great to see one materialise.

It was quite warm both years in the Midlands. 2004 summer has special memories for me on a personal level especially late July/August, but I think some of them would be inappropriate to put on this forum. 

2005 - Didn't it go into October the heat? I remember going out near Worcester (can't remember where lol) and it was baking! 

Posted

It was quite warm both years in the Midlands. 2004 summer has special memories for me on a personal level especially late July/August, but I think some of them would be inappropriate to put on this forum. 

2005 - Didn't it go into October the heat? I remember going out near Worcester (can't remember where lol) and it was baking! 

2005 did have a very warm Autumn so the summerlike warmth petered out gradually instead of coming to an abrupt halt at the start of September. 2005 was actually a very good summer for southwestern England, which has endured the very worst of recent Summers. Temperature, sunshine and rainfall were all the right side of average.

• Like 1

Posted

2005 did have a very warm Autumn so the summerlike warmth petered out gradually instead of coming to an abrupt halt at the start of September. 2005 was actually a very good summer for southwestern England, which has endured the very worst of recent Summers. Temperature, sunshine and rainfall were all the right side of average.

Cheers for that, I thought I imagined it lol.