Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted

I do feel like we have missed out on a season, where has Spring gone!

isn't this early spring now?! feels like it, i.e. not quite as bad as winter. 

Apparently spring will really get going through June and early July and then summer will arrive for a few days in late July before August heralds in autumn on brisk northwesterly winds.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Spring has been here since mid April. Plenty of warm, dry and sunny days since then. Today has been excellent. Warm and sunny, just starting to cloud over with a few towering cumulonimbus clouds. Was a little sticky though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Since mid April its been very pleasant indeed. Even during the current unsettled spell most of the rain has come at night and today has been very pleasant. I would gladly take a repeat of the last month during summer, just with 5/6c added on to reflect the warmer temps expected in July as opposed to April/May.

Posted

I've been trying to think of ways we could make the summer prospects better than they are. Something to lift the doom and gloom. I've decided that the best way would be to abandon the current climatic average base conditions and start again. 

Let's just use the 2007 -2012 average as our "base". That way the chance of an above average summer month for temperature and below average rainfall would increase. 

It would make everybody feel much better, wouldn't it?! Suddenly June is looking good with that sceuro trough - should be an "above average month" and could be very dry.

i feel much better already. 

Nice try, but the charts for the stunning summers are there for all to see on the wetterzentrale archive so theres no escaping what summer can potentially be like in this country. I, for one, believe that another glorious summer isnt too far away. For instance Summers 1983, 1984, 1989 and 2006 all had northerly outbreaks late May and early June. I am still confident about this coming summer being drier than average, but less optimistic about the temperatures though. Think they may be just average.

• Like 1

Posted

Don't remind me of June 2012 - I remember days of 13c in the second week of June, coming home from work drenched and a saturated garden! There was a warm spell the last few days of the month, but I was sick in bed!!

June 2012, joint with July 2007 as the worst summer months in living memory.

Posted

Nice try, but the charts for the stunning summers are there for all to see on the wetterzentrale archive so theres no escaping what summer can potentially be like in this country. I, for one, believe that another glorious summer isnt too far away. For instance Summers 1983, 1984, 1989 and 2006 all had northerly outbreaks late May and early June. I am still confident about this coming summer being drier than average, but less optimistic about the temperatures though. Think they may be just average.

Add 1975 to that list!

Guest pjl20101

I do feel like we have missed out on a season, where has Spring gone!

This spring has been very much a negative nao spring with strong hp to the north. Its been a very hard season to pin down with the wave 1 event in march, and the ssw event in January. They are partly responsible for why this spring has misbehaved, along with the weather in the tropics and the state of the arctic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Certainly a lot higher chance of a better summer, every year since 2007 up to 2012 had a warmer than average spring, then as soon as June turned up, it was a distant memory. Most hot summers have had bad springs prior to it. Time will tell though, and we will also keep on learning and taking more factors into account as we go on.

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

This spring has been very much a negative nao spring with strong hp to the north. Its been a very hard season to pin down with the wave 1 event in march, and the ssw event in January. They are partly responsible for why this spring has misbehaved, along with the weather in the tropics and the state of the arctic.

Just for the sake of accuracy pjf only the first half of Spring was rated -ve NAO.

Certainly March was deeply -ve after the earlier Strato.warming but northern heights faded and by mid-April to now the vortex and low heights to our north returned.

The graph showing the NAO index and an interesting animation of those low heights returning to the north during this second half of Spring.

post-2026-0-12829900-1368741223_thumb.gipost-2026-0-75359100-1368741253_thumb.gi

It looks like we are going to start this Summer with a more typical pattern-mid-latitude highs and low heights around Greenland.It bodes much better than last year at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

QBO (Neutral-Positive)

MEI (Neutral)

PDO (Neutral-Negative)

GLAMM (Neutral-positive)

March-April

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

QBO (Neutral-Positive)20112008200419991997199519911990198819851981MEI (Neutral)201220092004200220011997198519791972196519611960PDO (Neutral-Negative)20112002198919761974196919631959GLAMM (Neutral-positive)19811979March-April2011200420021997198519811979

I think there are alot of possibilities out of them variables. Just hope 2011 isn't repeated - what a horrendously cool summer. I was surprised to see MEI go positive again too! Edited by Alex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I think there are alot of possibilities out of them variables. Just hope 2011 isn't repeated - what a horrendously cool summer.I was surprised to see MEI go positive again too!

i liked 2011, because i dodged the rain (at work). there was just enough to keep the grass growing, but no soaking, it was a perfect working summer. (heat isnt prefered for working, cool dry is).

• Like 1

Posted

I think there are alot of possibilities out of them variables. Just hope 2011 isn't repeated - what a horrendously cool summer.I was surprised to see MEI go positive again too!

Aye, 1997 and 2004 have held on the longest for a few months.

Barely, it will almost certainly go negative this month as well.

Guest pjl20101

Must say that I like summer blizzards post indeed of compiling analogue matches and somewhere down the line there will be something in common with a month or months.

The headache really is whether the trough will have as much influence on us and it appears this year that it isn't gonna be as deep this time round over us.

Out of fairness 1993 wasn't too bad, but wasn't consistent heat, anyone remember that summer?

Posted

Out of fairness 1993 wasn't too bad, but wasn't consistent heat, anyone remember that summer?

skimming through my work diary notes, ive made no comment like i usually do if theres a hot spell. it certainly wasnt a hot summer or an overly wet one, so a rather nondiscript summer i think..

Posted

skimming through my work diary notes, ive made no comment like i usually do if theres a hot spell. it certainly wasnt a hot summer or an overly wet one, so a rather nondiscript summer i think..

If memory serves there was a run of decidedly nondescript summers in the early 90s bookended by a couple of beauties in 90 and 95. I'd happily take a repeat of either of those.

Posted

If memory serves there was a run of decidedly nondescript summers in the early 90s bookended by a couple of beauties in 90 and 95. I'd happily take a repeat of either of those.

On the contrary, we were spoilt back then with good summers. Certainly here, every summer between 1989 and 1996 was drier than average apart from 1992 and 1993. All were warmer than average apart from 1993.

I didnt think much of 1990 though, 1989 and 1991 were much better. The only notable month in 1990 was August, whereas in 1989 it was consistently warm, dry and sunny and in 1991 it was almost as dry as 1995 as well as being very warm (though June was pretty poor).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Ironically as poor in general terms as the last two summers have been, from a personal pov I have wholeheartedly welcomed the almost 100% absence of thunder. In fact I have virtually seen no storms at all for the whole summers right IMBYPosted Image .

So any return to real summer conditions this year for me would be dependant on High pressure being orientated favourably to avoid southerly plumes of air. In that sense, the Azores High staying right over us or ridging right over us from the south west and low pressure systems only approaching from the North West would be best. If High pressure moves across the UK and sets up to the east, or leaves a col like empty pressure pattern, then it means problems with storms and unpleasant humidityPosted Image

Edit: 1990 was a dustbowl and very hot - but it was very low on thunder I think. This featured the sort of pressure pattern I refer to above. As long as the winter isn't like 89/90 though afterwards!...

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

So am thoroughly looking forward to my summer already...last week in June and beginning part of August Posted Image

Middle of October LOL..

I hope you are going to be behaving yourself in the long summer days and evenings whatever you are doing...Posted Image

Posted

On the contrary, we were spoilt back then with good summers. Certainly here, every summer between 1989 and 1996 was drier than average apart from 1992 and 1993. All were warmer than average apart from 1993. I didnt think much of 1990 though, 1989 and 1991 were much better. The only notable month in 1990 was August, whereas in 1989 it was consistently warm, dry and sunny and in 1991 it was almost as dry as 1995 as well as being very warm (though June was pretty poor).

Yeah, I don't remember summers 91 thru 94 as being particularly bad, just nondescript as I said. Thing is I'm a big fan of heat and sunshine so an average summer doesn't set the pulse a-racin'.In my neck of the woods both July and August 1990 were very good; seems like a very long time since we had two good summer months on the bounce.

Posted

yeah, i liked 96 too.

On the contrary, we were spoilt back then with good summers. Certainly here, every summer between 1989 and 1996 was drier than average apart from 1992 and 1993. All were warmer than average apart from 1993.

I didnt think much of 1990 though, 1989 and 1991 were much better. The only notable month in 1990 was August, whereas in 1989 it was consistently warm, dry and sunny and in 1991 it was almost as dry as 1995 as well as being very warm (though June was pretty poor).

89 was nice, 90 was too and we saw some real heat for a while, 91 was dry but not overly sunny or hot..

Posted

Yes the cumulative rainfall totals for south Yorkshire were quite a worry I remember to the river authorities in the early 90's.

The second half of last summer was pretty good in the south midlands and southeast, you very very rarely get awful summers throughout.

July - The weather improved in the final week. 30.0C was recorded at several locations in the SE on 24 July; with the mini-heatwave peaking at 30.7C at London St James on the 27th. It then became unsettled again at the end of the month.

August - A wet but quite warm month (indeed along with 2009 the equal warmest since 2004), with winds often from the southerly quadrant. It was particularly warm in the SE. There was a mid August heatwave in the far SE, with 32.4C at Cavendish (Suffolk) on the 18th. The last night of the month was very cold, with Braemar recording -2.4C. The rainfall average was 93.5mm, 124% of the 1981-2010 reference average. It was wetter in the NW (especially Cumbria) and drier in the SE. It was quite a dull month, with 167 hours average total, being 86% of the reference mean. Lerwick saw just 90 hours.

I think the public has different perceptions of the weather to most on here, I keep hearing people in the media keep saying we had a long harsh winter, yet it was just below average, only March/eartly April were severe compared to average.