Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted

UV levels are very high - I got very pink/sore arms from just a few hours cycling (10am-12noon) then an hour or so in the pub (12-1:30) especially on the side facing the sun in the pub.Wasn't there something about ozone depletion this year making the UV index higher?

Yes this has been noticeable to me too, the sun feels very hot on the skin as well, unusually so for this country.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes the sun felt very hot here when sat outside late morning, I cold feel my arms starting to burn and there well seasoned to. All but clouded over now, here comes the rain..

And boy do we need it,  it's like a desert round here as on a limestone bed so does not hold that much water. Spoke to a few local farmers this morning and they are in the same opinion..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Yeah, the UV levels are something akin to mid-summer. Felt like my skin was actually burning earlier as opposed to tanning. Felt nice but rather nasty at the same time.

Not gonna complain though, I'd take this weather up until October. We don't need the rain, we get over nine thousand mm of it here every month.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah tell me about it - been hard to work today with weather so damn nice!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UV levels in darlo are currently running at high which is unusual for early May the sun feels unusually hot for this time of year not that I'm complaining about time we had a taste of summer hope we see many more days like this from June to August

sent from my warm sunny garden

Posted Image

Posted

Not gonna complain though, I'd take this weather up until October. We don't need the rain, we get over nine thousand mm of it here every month.

NINE THOUSAND millimetres??have you got any idea how many mm's in ONE inch mate? Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 6

Posted

NINE THOUSAND millimetres??have you got any idea how many mm's in ONE inch mate?

Should of gone to Specsavers Backtrack :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yeah, the UV levels are something akin to mid-summer. Felt like my skin was actually burning earlier as opposed to tanning. Felt nice but rather nasty at the same time.

Just be thankful it doesn't all fall as snow then, BT...

Posted

I believe this summer will have above average temperatures and below average precipitation. All in all an excellent summer but not sure if it will reach 2003 levels... (my mother re-married on the hottest day of the year in 2003 - needless to say a lot of beverages needed to be consumed :)) My biggest concern is that we may not revert to a traditional autumnal pattern this year. No entrenched northern blocking this summer. (no I am not Ken Ring)

• Like 1

Posted

I'm not sure but I'm guessing Backtrack might have purposely used a very excessive figure just as a way of saying 'a lot'.

I've seen suggestions that this forecast unsettled spell or a bit of high pressure up north is bad news for the summer with a few probably wanting to write it off. In reality it doesn't really mean much IMO.

For example May 2006 had a Greenland high:

Posted Image

followed by a very unsettled spell: 

Posted Image

Edited by Stormmad26
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm not sure but I'm guessing Backtrack might have purposely used a very excessive figure just as a way of saying 'a lot'.

I've seen suggestions that this forecast unsettled spell or a bit of high pressure up north is bad news for the summer with a few probably wanting to write it off. In reality it doesn't really mean much IMO.

?? Not sure I follow you on that one. The second chart has the low pressure over the UK - but is that not the result of the high pressure at high latitudes (shown on your first chart) causing the mid Atlantic low to have to go straight over the UK... Showing the exact opposite of your own thoughts / argument ?

Edited by Buzzit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the point is that things changed very quickly as we got into June 2006:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2006/Rrea00120060604.gif

• Like 4

I think the question of a nice vs. decent June is rather subjective- the prevailing response in the model discussion area would be different to what it would be in the convection/storms area.In my case the extent of positive sunshine anomalies tends to be the largest individual factor (i.e. in most cases I will regard a month with positive anomalies of 10 to 25% as decent and over 25% as great) but there are exceptions, depending on the other factors.One idea could be to use Kevin's summer index (originally based on Manchester but can be applied to other locations). My perceptions of summer months tend to be closely correlated with the results from his index, and this in spite of my being a big fan of convective events, so I imagine that those with the traditional "consistently warm, dry and sunny" standpoint will be even better served.

Weekend weather makes a difference as well, you could have a summer of good weekends and bad midweek and most people would consider it to be better than the opposite, despite states proving the opposite.

Posted

I think the point is that things changed very quickly as we got into June 2006:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2006/Rrea00120060604.gif

Indeed, I was working on a truck that entire summer as well and I must have lost a good couple of stone because of the heat! 

Was nice though and interesting that you pointed it out as I was talking about the similarities this year has with 2006 when I moved back in March, and here we are again with more.

Posted

?? Not sure I follow you on that one. The second chart has the low pressure over the UK - but is that not the result of the high pressure at high latitudes (shown on your first chart) causing the mid Atlantic low to have to go straight over the UK... Showing the exact opposite of your own thoughts / argument ?

That was why I was posting it, High latitude blocking and resultant unsettled UK weather in May doesn't mean much for summer due to what happened afterwards through June and July, so as TWS guessed I was pointing out that things changed very quick as we went into June that year. Although I could have made it clear by stating that I meant that or posting charts from June/July but assume most know what happened next.

Having had a quick look May 1995 also had high latitude high pressure at times, e.g http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1995/Rrea00119950512.gif mixed with warmer spells.

Following on from that was a famous hot summer.

I was thinking I can imagine what some posts about summer/early summer and it's prospects would be like if we had a similar sequence this year to the two May 2006 charts I posted, and they wouldn't be predicting what actually happened in summer 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yes just because we are seeing LP now doesnt mean its 'locked in' as some of the doom slayers will say. Who knows maybe it will last a while but imo, the long term signals dont support it from when I last checked. All part of normal proceedings as Stormmad26 above has shown! :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

I personally have some high hopes for this Summer at this very early stage ... I can see it being a bit favoured towards a reasonable first half but perhaps a bit of a scrappy July/August, contributing to an overall average Summer, perhaps a bit on the down low come the end of it .... In regards to the upcoming unsettled spell having a bearing on the way Summer lands .... I personally don't agree with this I'm afraid and think it has little support or meaning in how the Summer progresses ... for example if we experienced a decent settled mild period in February, would that strongly suggest a very good Spring was on the way? Not necessarily and I just don't see any good evidence linking the weather in May to the Summer months. One thing I will say though is, of course ... naturally the unsettled spell may be hard to shift and so remains the dominant theme going into the Summer.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Backtrack, May 7, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Backtrack, May 7, 2013 - No reason given

It was a reference to Dragonball Z. No one got it :(

Posted

NINE THOUSAND millimetres??

have you got any idea how many mm's in ONE inch mate?

Should of gone to Specsavers Backtrack Posted Image

Just be thankful it doesn't all fall as snow then, BT...

It was a reference to something a character said in Dragonball Z, but no one got it.

Posted

It was a reference to something a character said in Dragonball Z, but no one got it.

No wonder..Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

8 500 000 Youtube views disagree with you!

Never seen it, or heard of it in my life. was not about in my day Posted Image  I  kind of "get it" now.................@ 

JH will really be scratching his head now..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

There we go! Thank you Harve. :D

• Like 1