Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forgettable years, weatherwise.

• 2 months later...
Posted

I will remember the gorgeous weather of lockdown 1, the stand out last year though was the unbelievable storm on the 24th September that wasn’t even forecast. Never seen hail settle on the ground like that. The lightning was mental as well!

CAB6E106-C145-42FC-B560-976F0E8EFBD8.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
2 hours ago, Alexis said:

1999? 2002? 
Can't remember much happening.

2002 was indeed a very boring year.  A few half-decent gales, that's it!

1999 though was very thundery, especially in May.  Although of course appreciate local variation with storms.

For me 2008 wasn't great, a few minor early/late season snowfalls the only standout.

2011 had the remarkable April and October spells but nothing else

2010 although it had an excellent January and December, nothing else at all for the rest of the year 

1998 wasn't great, similar to 2002 i feel with some decent gales, but no real storms/warmth/snow.

Going back further, nothing of note happened in 1988 I believe

Posted
On 20/02/2021 at 15:12, SummerShower said:

2002 was indeed a very boring year.  A few half-decent gales, that's it!

1999 though was very thundery, especially in May.  Although of course appreciate local variation with storms.

For me 2008 wasn't great, a few minor early/late season snowfalls the only standout.

2011 had the remarkable April and October spells but nothing else

2010 although it had an excellent January and December, nothing else at all for the rest of the year 

1998 wasn't great, similar to 2002 i feel with some decent gales, but no real storms/warmth/snow.

Going back further, nothing of note happened in 1988 I believe

I remember a very warm spell in May 1998 and then June being dire.

Posted

I said 2017 a few pages back but we had a few decent thunderstorms and a hot June so I’ll retract that. I can’t remember much from 2008 apart from a cold December and a dreadful summer, think I’ll go for that.

• 10 months later...
Posted

A strange year especially up to autumn.

Storm Christoph (20th/21st Jan) was the event of the year for me, it was the closest to the classic US winter storms, I have seen here, where it can go from very mild to lying snow very quickly

The warm end of March 

going into that exceptionally frosty April

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
Posted

I'll be glad when this year is over. It has been largely forgettable with just a few events of note, so far. . Even though the summer had a high index, I personally didn't enjoy it.  Perhaps the final quarter might be more interesting but I'm not holding my breath 

The  year so far feels to me it has been lacking. Thunder, snow, hail, convective weather, fog, frost........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I've enjoyed this year so far here. Major windstorm in Feb, a hot sunny summer peppered with thunderstorms,and only recently the last few weeks have had lots of heavy torrential downpours and so far 3 thunderstorms this September already. Only thing that's been lacking is frost and snow, but that always lacks..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For me, it's touch and go as to whether 2022 ends up in the "forgettable" category, but it will require a fair amount of noteworthy weather during the rest of the year to stop it from ending up in that category.  Currently the record shattering heatwave of 19 July and the spell of hot sunny weather in the second week of August that reminded me of August 1995 are the only things that are saving it..  I don't recall much noteworthy weather in the winter or spring.  Also, it has been a remarkably thunder-free year in Lincoln so far, with just 5 thunder-days so far, and just 1 during the summer quarter.  That said, there is still time for that to be addressed - 2 of those thunder-days were yesterday and today!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
5 hours ago, Freeze said:

I've enjoyed this year so far here. Major windstorm in Feb, a hot sunny summer peppered with thunderstorms,and only recently the last few weeks have had lots of heavy torrential downpours and so far 3 thunderstorms this September already. Only thing that's been lacking is frost and snow, but that always lacks..

You can’t be sure it will stay frost free. The coming months might see some cold weather before we reach Christmas.

Posted
On 06/09/2022 at 18:33, Thundery wintry showers said:

For me, it's touch and go as to whether 2022 ends up in the "forgettable" category, but it will require a fair amount of noteworthy weather during the rest of the year to stop it from ending up in that category.  Currently the record shattering heatwave of 19 July and the spell of hot sunny weather in the second week of August that reminded me of August 1995 are the only things that are saving it..  I don't recall much noteworthy weather in the winter or spring.  Also, it has been a remarkably thunder-free year in Lincoln so far, with just 5 thunder-days so far, and just 1 during the summer quarter.  That said, there is still time for that to be addressed - 2 of those thunder-days were yesterday and today!

Agree, other than the remarkable heat of 18-19 July, it has been a very unremarkable year for single weather events at least. Feb was very wet and stormy, but nothing too unusual for these parts. August very warm and dry but not exceptional overall. We've had exceptionally long periods of very calm pleasant weather with hardly anything of note. Jan exceptionally quiet. The Spring one of the most uninteresting ever. June largely devoid of any interest as well. September has started on a lively note, at last the weather has something about it!

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 06/09/2022 at 18:33, Thundery wintry showers said:

Not for me, the frosty and dry January contrasted markedly with many Januaries of late; we had perhaps the 3rd most severe storm of my lifetime in Feb; a long spell of sunny weather in the second half of March and the "yellow rain" event earlier in the month; a warm sunny April; and a warm sunny summer which admittedly I mostly missed. May was a bit boring with a lot of southwesterlies and nondescript conditions, but, by sheer luck, all the Saturdays and two (IIRC) of the Sundays were warm and sunny. Plus, there was a really dramatic thunderstorm on the Wednesday evening just after mid month.

If it has been lacking in anything, there wasn't much in the way of northerly outbreaks in the winter and spring, and of course no proper snow (yet - could happen in December, I guess).

• 1 year later...
Posted
On 06/09/2022 at 16:30, Weather-history said:

I'll be glad when this year is over. It has been largely forgettable with just a few events of note, so far. . Even though the summer had a high index, I personally didn't enjoy it.  Perhaps the final quarter might be more interesting but I'm not holding my breath 

The  year so far feels to me it has been lacking. Thunder, snow, hail, convective weather, fog, frost........

Looking back now, it was overall forgettable. The lack of thunder was extremely notable.

2023 has more been more interesting than 2022

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

From memory I would say the following were dull years for weather
2015= Cant really think of anything that year. 
2017= Nothing really comes to mind weather wise, no real heat/cold,no storms, no major snowevents. 
2021= Just a year of nothingness, lots of mild and cloudy weather through the year that I can recall. Only major event I can recall was a 3 day heatwave. 

• 4 months later...
Posted

Late May and June were great as was early September, the late November cold snap producing those unusual optical effects but the second half of the year was a washout. Better than 2022 with a bit more variety but not a brilliant year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

2021 by a longshot.

A lack of thunder and not much in the way of warmth around here, missed the July 2021 warmth and storms as I was abroad, and another storm in October 2021 which I didn't have the chance to capture it.

Although the snow in January and early Feb helped a little, it's still one of the most forgettable years of recent here alongside the mid 2010s.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted

I don’t think I’d agree with 2021 being forgettable. The January to May period was very weird. We had a good January snowfall, brief but remarkable March heat and sudden plunge in to April snow. The very cold and sunny April and one of the wettest Mays on record.

I think all of the 20s years have seen memorable weather periods so far.

Edited by TheOgre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Just revisited this thread and saw my earlier post about 2022 being a candidate for "forgettable years". When I look back, I think for me it quite comfortably broke out of that category in the end. As well as the record breaking July heatwave and hot sunny spell in August, thundery spells in September and October (the third week of October had exceptionally widespread thunderstorms for the time of year) and the cold first half of December stick out. Also, in the England E & NE region it ended up being the sunniest year on record, helped by sunny months in January (which exceeded 100 hours in the England E & NE series!), March and April as well as the summer. August 2022 was comfortably the sunniest August since the famously hot dry sunny one in 1995. October was also very sunny despite the very wet second half.

I will probably end up remembering 2023 for the 2nd week March snow, the hot and sunny June, thunderstorms in the first half of July, the record breaking heatwave and thundery breakdown of early September and the rain and flooding late in the year, but if anything I reckon that I will end up seeing 2023 as less memorable for weather than 2022 was.

Overall, as far as forgettable years I don't think any of the 2020s years so far can really challenge 2002 or perhaps 2011, but in our warming climate there is an ongoing issue with the increasing loss of notable cold/snow events reducing the overall variety in our climate.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

2002 included severe thunderstorms and flooding in the period 29th July to 9th August (Eden), which included the Pickering (North Yorkshire) floods on 1st August following 115mm of rain  overnight at Fylingdales on the North Yorkshire Moors and which I experienced at first hand.

A quick flick through Eden's very good book on British Weather Disasters reveals 1972 as the year with the fewest entries (since 1970), just three, two for thunderstorms and flooding in July and August and one for gales in December. I think that probably says a lot about the weather that year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Thundery wintry showers and it's funny because I remember quite a bit from 2002 but it's almost all bad or unsettled weather - gales in Jan, Feb, Mar & Apr; a lot of rain in May, dreadful first half of July, thunderstorms in early August, washout rugby match in early September, gales and thunderstorms in late October, incessant rain in November, then early snow in December.

• Like 1