Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forgettable years, weatherwise.

Posted

January 1997 was so much much better to 2002 January.

The brightest ever comet first seen in late February(yes that's not weather quite)

Snowless boring spring that year was known for.

Until may the best snow event in may ever and thunder with drifting snow even.

Thundery rain mid may.

Thunderstorms in june 1 night and a northerly gale remember that.

Pretty thundery august,hot snap.

Late very sharp air frosts in October -4c

Drifting snow mid December and the infamous Christmas eve storm force winds.

1998 might actually be the top for unforgettable years except for the best april ever for blizzards and 2 deluge of snow in a week.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 03/09/2018 at 07:25, Sunny76 said:

I actually think 1997 was boring and forgettable. The summer was humid and cloudy, with warm sunny humid days in August. A very mild winter at the end of the year. 

what about the easterly outbreak mid December sub zero day time highs and snow..rest of December was a wash out though

Posted
2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Apart from one hot summer day and a blowtorch December, I'd say 2015 was one of the most forgettable. Others include 1988 and indeed 2002.

2015 managed to be both very frustrating and mind-numbingly boring, some achievement that. There was the spell in late Jan-early Feb when cold synoptics were in place, it would start snowing and then either melt the minute it stopped (even at night) or inexplicably turn to rain with no warm fronts or change of wind direction. It did that about 4 or 5 times in a fortnight, we never got more than 1cm of snow on the ground when the conditions seemed right for 5-10cm.

Then there was the 1st of July when we had infuriating mid-level cloud most of the day while the east had blazing sun, stopping us getting to 30C which we had not reached since 2006 (we did the following year). And in the evening the storms missed us by 10 miles.

And that so-called December when it was 10C+ at midnight nearly every night.

Not forgetting at least 8 or 9 months of the year consisting of 12-18C maxima with mostly cloudy skies, frequent but seldom heavy rain and an absolutely constant stiff westerly breeze.

Only 3 days over 25C all year, only 4 months reached 20C, but 11 months reached 15C. First 15C on 9th January, first 20C on 4th June.

Only interesting thing was a brief but spectacular thunderstorm in late August. April and June were both sunny but just couldn't record any notable warmth, save for the last day of June.

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Apart from one hot summer day and a blowtorch December, I'd say 2015 was one of the most forgettable. Others include 1988 and indeed 2002.

February of 2015 and March were chilly that year. The December was mild though. The main thing about that year was the poor summer, and the warm sunny September.

Posted
8 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

2015 managed to be both very frustrating and mind-numbingly boring, some achievement that. There was the spell in late Jan-early Feb when cold synoptics were in place, it would start snowing and then either melt the minute it stopped (even at night) or inexplicably turn to rain with no warm fronts or change of wind direction. It did that about 4 or 5 times in a fortnight, we never got more than 1cm of snow on the ground when the conditions seemed right for 5-10cm.

Then there was the 1st of July when we had infuriating mid-level cloud most of the day while the east had blazing sun, stopping us getting to 30C which we had not reached since 2006 (we did the following year). And in the evening the storms missed us by 10 miles.

Not forgetting at least 8 or 9 months of the year consisting of 12-18C maxima with mostly cloudy skies, frequent but seldom heavy rain and an absolutely constant stiff westerly breeze.

Only 3 days over 25C all year, only 4 months reached 20C, but 11 months reached 15C. First 15C on 9th January, first 20C on 4th June.

Only interesting thing was a brief but spectacular thunderstorm in late August. April and June were both sunny but just couldn't record any notable warmth, save for the last day of June.

A very mild December like that doesn’t happen very often. For some reason, I don’t remember it being mild all the time, maybe because it was sandwiched between a cooler November, and the colder spells of January to March of 2016. A mild winter yes, but I do recall still getting some chilly days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

September wasn't warm and sunny that year, and November wasn't cool either. September was cool (although there was a sunny spell at the end of the month), and November was very mild indeed. It made for a particularly boring autumn. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I remember December 1988 being warmer than 2015. 

Where were you at the time of December 1988?

December CETs

1988: 7.5C

2015: 9.7C <-------warmest December ever recorded by 1.6C

Edited by Weather-history
  • Thanks 2

Posted

I think it is all quite related to where you live and the type of weather you like. If any type if weather hangs around too long it gets boring. In my opinion. 

The most frustrating as opposed to forgettable was the infamously cold snowy December 2010.Managed to get about 5cms of snow in the whole month while places as nearby as Croydon and Sutton had about 25cms. That's stalling fronts for you! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Where were you at the time of December 1988?

December CETs

1988: 7.5C

2015: 9.7C <-------warmest December ever recorded by 1.6C

At secondary school. I remember the very mild Christmas, and for some reason it stands out more than 2015. I don’t know why, but I found 2015 fairly forgettable in weather terms and boring.

Posted
On 11/09/2018 at 01:38, Summer of 95 said:

I really enjoyed 2015 minus the summer, some very good weather events. Based of my recollection and data.

January: Cold and snow midmonth and very and then a very mild spell.

February: Dry and sunny nothing especially exciting.

March: Extremely average though unsettled, quite cold at the end.

April: My sunniest recorded month. Also very warm by day and cold at night. 22.C reached on the 21st.

May: Unsually windy, cool and rather wet. Never exceeded 19.C.

June: Boring, though with a few notably warm and cool days.

July: Absolutely abysmal after the first few days, very wet and rather cool. Extremely low maxima midmonth.

August: Sunny 

September: Very dry and sunny, unusually large diurnal temperature on the 30th recording the highest and lowest temperatures a low of -0.7.C to 22.3.C.

October: Dry with many notably warm days. 21.5.C on the 1st and 21.1.C on the 2nd. 20.3.C reached on the 20th.

November: Very wet and dull, notably windy as well.

December: Uniquely wet and very mild. Remember the floods around the river Tay very well.

2015 wasn’t a completely bad year but many weather events were famously for the wrong reasons 

Posted
On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:59, Sunny76 said:

At secondary school. I remember the very mild Christmas, and for some reason it stands out more than 2015. I don’t know why, but I found 2015 fairly forgettable in weather terms and boring.

Exactly what I was going to say.

It was a record mild Christmas and still is.

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Exactly what I was going to say.

It was a record mild Christmas and still is.

2011 and 2016 had a milder Christmas Day for me.

2011: Maximum: 12.4.C, minimum: 5.6.C (9.0.C)

2016: Maximum: 12.6.C, minimum: 3.8.C (8.2.C)

2015: Maximum: 11.2.C, minimum: 4.7.C (8.0.C)

Posted
On 13/09/2018 at 15:59, Sunny76 said:

I mean where were you living? 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Posted
On 19/07/2018 at 10:29, Weather-history said:

2018 is becoming a notable and memorable one at least up to now. Hope the rest of the year is similar with more events.

Sadly, it ran out of puff when the great summer spell broke, it became increasingly tedious. December was awful. Standouts were the two easterly spells and that amazing May to mid July spell 

• Like 1

Posted
On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:25, Sunny76 said:

I actually think 1997 was boring and forgettable. The summer was humid and cloudy, with warm sunny humid days in August. A very mild winter at the end of the year. 

Large gaps between snow 1997 after that very cold sugary snow first 10 days of January the last memorable snowfall until,yes there was odd days with sleet or snow showers in January and February,the next really memorable snowfall we had to wait all through march and april not a single flake,until may with 2 inches of snow and even drifting.-10 upper air made it into Scotland,still remains the best that may has given.

Rrea00119970506.gifRrea00119970507.gif

Posted

In recent times I would say 2016 was boring as hell. But, the spring was rather chilly and quite cold, even late May was dismal. This followed the very mild winter of 15/16.

Posted

2016 did finally reach 30C here (July 19), for the first time since 2006; even the better summers of 2013-14 didn't manage it, nor did the letdown of early July 2015. It'll always have that distinction, even if much of the year was indeed boring. May was pretty good and September had that storm on the 13th, but much of the year was not exactly memorable. 

2017 was also rubbish round here, until it spectacularly redeemed itself in December. It was especially notable for lacking thunder in these parts, even by post-2010 standards (only 2 days all year), all the storms that year seemed to kick off around the coasts and stay there. June was OK, July and August mostly poor. September was utter rubbish, not unlike May 2015. April and May had some warm days but nothing consistent. Other than a slight dusting on 13 Jan, there was next to no snow in the first half either.

It's funny how 2018 was the opposite of 2017: 2017 rubbish year except for brilliant December, 2018 brilliant year except for rubbish December.

• Like 1

Posted

Summer 2017 was dreadful overall here - a very wet July and August with temperatures struggling to get above 25C throughout. August ended in a washout with temperatures no higher than 15C, it was very poor. June was alright, much drier but lacked any sun. May 2017 was decent and warmish I recall. The Spring was very warm that year too. 

I was in Berlin, August 2016 and it was absolutely sweltering, it was above 30C for 5 whole days in the last week, although it became very cool when the Sun went down. I think the maxima may have even hit 39C/40C. Meanwhile in the UK it was boring, dull and cooler.