Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forgettable years, weatherwise.

Posted

That snow chart; I do question it. Especially the 1980s. Wouldn't 81-82 or 84-85 be in the very snowy section? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The 1980s also had relatively snow free winters in 1979/80, 1980/81, 1987/88 and especially 1988/89.

I don't agree with the classification of 2015/16 as "Average" btw, but even if that were to be revised to "Little" we'd still be on 14 for the 2010s, boosted by the exceptionally snowy calendar year in 2010.

I don't think 1981/82 or 1984/85 belong in the "Very Snowy" section because 1981/82 had very little snow before December or after mid-January, and 1984/85 had a mild autumn and December with the majority of the snow concentrated in January and a spell in mid-February.   1946/47, 1962/63, 1978/79 and 2009/10 had snowy outbreaks in all three of the main winter months, and beyond in the case of 1979.  "Snowy" seems right to me.

The chart references the "snow season" from September to June, I believe.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

I know the UK snow analysis is difficult due to the sometimes extreme regional weather variations we get on this island, and that it's not easy to consistently compare weather records from decades ago with now, but 2015/16 being "average" is utter nonsense. It was even less snowy than 2013/14 round here, and I don't recall seeing any reports of significant snow anywhere in England and Wales (at least) on this forum. 

Even allowing for my opinion that 2009/10 is vastly overrated snow-wise being influenced by regional bias (ie it largely sucked in Shropshire), I don't think it can be said to have had widespread UK lying snow events in all three months. Scotland maybe yes, but not elsewhere- February as I recall just had loads of cold sleety rain at 3C with only the one snowfall on the 21st, which was gone by the afternoon. December as well, was it just us that had only one day with 1cm or was sort of thing that more widespread. It only seemed like the period 6-15 Jan that had lying snow pretty much nationwide.

1995-6 on the other hand, can reasonably be said to have had them in all three months, plus March in many places. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

December 2009 was a great month here - not sure on the exact amount that fell but it was certainly substantial, leading to a White Christmas.

I don't know why some people always try to poo-poo certain winters just because they didn't get a lot of snow in their back yard.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Yes regional wise 1981/82 goes as the one everyone remembers around this area as very snowy and record low min temps of -40c by the river severn.

This year is on a par with 2010 so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Although I think 2014/15 was a snowier winter on balance than 2013/14, 2015/16 or 2016/17, I think the "Little" assessment is fair when comparing it with previous winters.  There was a fairly snowy spell from mid-January to early February, and some short-lived snow for some on Boxing Day and in the first few days of March, but other than that, not a lot.

There is always regional variability.  In the South Shields/Sunderland area, the winter of 1995/96 was no snowier than 1993/94 or 1990/91, whereas in Lancaster it was easily the snowiest winter since at least 1981/82, possibly 1978/79.

Posted
9 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Yes regional wise 1981/82 goes as the one everyone remembers around this area as very snowy and record low min temps of -40c by the river severn.

This year is on a par with 2010 so far.

December 2009 maybe not as that was a slow starter didn`t have the first snow until December 20th,so this year will exceed that year by far yet looking at tomorrow`s snow,a foot of snow by the end of December 2009,halfway to that so far at 6inches.

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Although I think 2014/15 was a snowier winter on balance than 2013/14, 2015/16 or 2016/17, I think the "Little" assessment is fair when comparing it with previous winters. 

2015-16 was abysmal here couldn`t even get an inch any one time that winter,just checked now as the cold zonality of 2015 was impressive for recent years.

Well its about 11 inches more to 2015-16.

2005-06 winter wasn`t even that snowy,2 very decent winters indeed,above average just IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
21 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Well 2017-18 won't be a "Little" for these parts after today. :):yahoo:

Don't let your 'regional bias' get in the way.. wink wink. :D

Posted

I do agree that the cold zonality of 2014/15 was impressive, probably assisted by the persistent cold pool in the North Atlantic as well as persistent below-average temperatures over the eastern USA and Canada.  In particular I remember a south-westerly on 13/14 January that blew straight from eastern Canada and brought snow to many parts.  Here in Devon the snow only settled on high ground, but in North Yorkshire for instance there was lying snow down to near sea level.

• Like 2

Posted

Should 1962/1963 be classed as very snowy? Most places didn't get any noticeable further snow after boxing day. 

1963 & 2010; 2010 is much snowier. Nov 63' was very mild - 10' was not.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

November 1963 was part of winter 1963/64, which indeed didn't have a great deal of snow.  November 1962 did have a snowy spell for many areas around the 20th.  I don't think 1963 was generally as snowy as 1947, but there were certainly some further snow events during January and February 1963, especially for the east and south, and snow cover generally stuck around for longer than in 1947.

• Like 2

Posted
On 12/13/2017 at 21:01, Thundery wintry showers said:

November 1963 was part of winter 1963/64, which indeed didn't have a great deal of snow.  November 1962 did have a snowy spell for many areas around the 20th.  I don't think 1963 was generally as snowy as 1947, but there were certainly some further snow events during January and February 1963, especially for the east and south, and snow cover generally stuck around for longer than in 1947.

Mmm December 1963 looks very cold. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Unforgettable December and mostly forgettable January-November sums up 2017.

The few moments of note in the first 11 months were the hot spell in June, some early warmth in April and as mentioned the red sun. Oh and it was sunny on my birthday (8th Nov) for the first time I can remember, I'm only 38.

Then came that weekend 8-11 December......

• 6 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

2017 just avoids being a forgettable year for me. The first third was certainly very uneventful but some periods stand out thereafter:

- heatwave and thunderstorms at the end of May

- fine weather and heatwave in June

- thunderstorms of mid July

- warm/hot and sunny August bank holiday

- warm spell followed by red sun in October

- unusually northerly November with many sunny days

- great wintry spells 08th-12th and 26th-29th December

Looking back. 2011 is most definitely the least memorable, other than the summery April and heatwave in late Sept / early Oct. Then I think 2002 would be up there.

Posted

1998, 2002, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014

1998: Aside from a very mild, sunny spell in February and some snow in April the year was pretty much the same, wet, cloudy and mild, the summer that year was also pretty poor.

2002: Definitely the worst year weather wise a very, very wet and dull year over 50 inches of rain compare to 33 and only around 1,100 hours of sunshine compare to a about 1,400. Can’t recall anything interesting about this year, aside from a thundery August and a notably dry but dull September. November to December was appallingly bad only recorded 41 hours of sunshine from these two months.

2008: A similar year to 1998 although the spring was interesting with a very warm May, October and December were quite interesting though and December was cold and notably snowy.

2011: Very poor other than the April that year, summer was very bad wet, very cool and quite dull, the autumn heat only lasted 3 days as well.

2012: Probably down to the very wet and dull April-July period, March was a fantastic month however, the autumn as well was also frosty.

2014: Ridiculously mild, very little cold weather also like 2002 very dull and wet, July was the only good month that year, the lowest temperature I recorded that year was only -4.1.C and there were no days below freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

During our run of colder, snowier winters between 2008/09 and 2012/13, the calendar year of 2011 was snow free for my location, sandwiched between the amazing December of 2010 and the snowy early Feb of 2012. 

2011 had a warm Spring, but the summer was pretty unremarkable. 

The only standout weather event of 2011 was the exceptional heatwave (for the time of year) in late September and early October when it reached just shy of 30c.

Edited by danm

• 1 month later...
Posted
On 08/12/2017 at 05:27, Summer of 95 said:

I know the UK snow analysis is difficult due to the sometimes extreme regional weather variations we get on this island, and that it's not easy to consistently compare weather records from decades ago with now, but 2015/16 being "average" is utter nonsense. It was even less snowy than 2013/14 round here, and I don't recall seeing any reports of significant snow anywhere in England and Wales (at least) on this forum. 

Even allowing for my opinion that 2009/10 is vastly overrated snow-wise being influenced by regional bias (ie it largely sucked in Shropshire), I don't think it can be said to have had widespread UK lying snow events in all three months. Scotland maybe yes, but not elsewhere- February as I recall just had loads of cold sleety rain at 3C with only the one snowfall on the 21st, which was gone by the afternoon. December as well, was it just us that had only one day with 1cm or was sort of thing that more widespread. It only seemed like the period 6-15 Jan that had lying snow pretty much nationwide.

1995-6 on the other hand, can reasonably be said to have had them in all three months, plus March in many places. 

95/96 winter was a relatively snowless winter in London, although we had a light dusting on Boxing Day and just before the new year of 1996. The thing that stood out, was the cold dry and cloudy periods, which lasted on and off until April. 

December 95 was very cold and only 1981 and 2010 have matched and beaten it.

Posted

2002 may well be the top of the list of unforgettable years.....but I can`t remember 1983 weather,of course I wouldn`t who can remember the weather when you are in school.

Posted

February 1983 was very cold but wouldn`t of brought much snow here looking at those archives,very cold and dry though severe frosts,I don`t remember that month.