Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forgettable years, weatherwise.

Posted

2002 was very memorable for its shocking November and December which were ridiculously mild mild and wet (despite a week of westerlies in Dec) and practically sunless. Also the first 5 days were cold and frosty with snow on the ground.

2011 was a very, very boring year here for the most part, saved by that extraordinary Autumn heatwave. This year's April wasn't as good as 2007 (nowhere near as sunny), and the year was almost snowless- only 4 days snow falling and one lying, on Jan 7th. The main thing though was the summer- from early May to late September it was one long bore-fest, almost constantly cold, cloudy and fairly dry with only the occasional day topping 21C- never more than 2 days in a row either. The only thing to break the boredom was a surprise late-night storm on Aug 21st, virtually the only rain that month which barely made 100 hours sun.

That late heatwave was so memorable though that it means 2011 can't take the prize, so I go for 1993. A similar summer to 2011  but no heatwave at all, even out of season. Jan, Feb, Mar so boring I can hardly remember a thing, except for a forecast of snow at the end of Feb that never happened. September horrid, if one thing saves the year it was the unusually cold spells in October and November. 

• 9 months later...
Posted

This year is starting to climb up the forgettable weatherwise list at least at the local level.

Hardly any snow, frost, ice, sleet, hail, thunder and fog and we are closing in on the halfway point of this year.

It has been a combination of rain, dry, sunny, cloudy and mild largely.

Spring for me was boring, zero variety, the winter towards the end was tedious. National rainfall totals were outstanding but locally nothing particularly special.

Have to see what the rest of the year brings but it is on a par with 2002 thus far.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

This year is starting to climb up the forgettable weatherwise list at least at the local level.Hardly any snow, frost, ice, sleet, hail, thunder and fog and we are closing in on the halfway point of this year.It has been a combination of rain, dry, sunny, cloudy and mild largely.Spring for me was boring, zero variety, the winter towards the end was tedious. National rainfall totals were outstanding but locally nothing particularly special.Have to see what the rest of the year brings but it is on a par with 2002 thus far.

Plenty of time left for this year to prove its self, but if we get no thunderstorms, heatwaves or snow for the rest of this year (entirely possible), then this year will go down in memory as one of the dullest and most uneventful ever. Even 2011 will have been more interesting, and was already more interesting to this point with that exceptionally warm and dry April (virtually no rain - just 0.5mm in fact).

Edited by cheese

Posted

I have to agree. One big thunderstorm last month and maybe that windy night in February is really all that has livened up this most incredibly bland of years so far. A catastrophically mild winter and spring but with little real heat to make up for it, with the near continent yet again hogging it at our expense (they also got very warm temperatures in spring which didn't make it here). The worst mild pattern imaginable.

I'm not too concerned about summer at this early stage but if we don't ditch the continual cloud and rain it will be very hard for 2014 to avoid becoming the Year of the Bland, as autumn is usually the blandest season of the lot and early winter hardly ever delivers either.

Come back 2002, all is forgiven.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Been a rather forgetfull year so far it must be said apart from some storms earlier in the yr especially Feb12th which comes to mind for my location. I find the near constant mildness especially boring as hell.

I wonder will El Nino do anything to liven things up during the second half of the yr.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted

The lack of temperature extremes this year is what stands out. So far no ice days, no minima below -4C or max above 24C, almost every day in the range 6-11C Jan/Feb, 11-18C March/April, 16-22C May and June.

And every time we get high pressure it ends up full of cloud after 2 days for some reason. I suspect the amount of winter rain is causing this to some extent.

Anyone else noticed the creepy crawlies been really bad this year?

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone else noticed the creepy crawlies been really bad this year?

Definitely. A lot of big house spiders in the back yard too, no doubt thriving on the insect feast. There's a particularly impressive whopper next to the drainpipe.

The past week has been better than I was expecting with the sun winning out against the cloud more often than the other way round, meaning plenty of summery weather to be had. Not a bad June at all so far but hardly a vintage one either.

Posted

Definitely. A lot of big house spiders in the back yard too, no doubt thriving on the insect feast. There's a particularly impressive whopper next to the drainpipe.

The past week has been better than I was expecting with the sun winning out against the cloud more often than the other way round, meaning plenty of summery weather to be had. Not a bad June at all so far but hardly a vintage one either.

I've noticed a lot more creepy crawlies and flies generally this year compared to last. Perhaps the very mild winter has led to an explosion - all very good news for wildlife overall. The honeysuckle in my garden is being eaten alive by little flies - this didn't happen last year.

Also, its noticeable just how lush and verdant everything is this year, again thanks to the plentiful supplies of rain early in the year and generally very mild damp conditions. Things can change and a 2 week heatwave can easily turn things a shade of brown, but the grass appears to be growing faster than ever, and its also pleasing to know that hosepipe bans this summer look unlikely (unless we see 2 months with no rain - highly unlikely!), thanks to the exceptional rainfall in the autumn and winter.

• 1 month later...
Posted

This year is starting to climb up the forgettable weatherwise list at least at the local level.Hardly any snow, frost, ice, sleet, hail, thunder and fog and we are closing in on the halfway point of this year.It has been a combination of rain, dry, sunny, cloudy and mild largely.Spring for me was boring, zero variety, the winter towards the end was tedious. National rainfall totals were outstanding but locally nothing particularly special.Have to see what the rest of the year brings but it is on a par with 2002 thus far.

First decent night storm for sometime, decent summer overall but temperatures in terms of maxima not outstanding. Bertha remains was not a lot, at least not around here.The night storm has been the event of the year so far followed by the February gale, other than that not a lot.I think some members are going to remember this year for the storms unless something exceptional happens in the last quarter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Although I haven't lived through the 1970s, I'd hazard a strong guess at 1974, and 1971, 1972 and 1977 are also candidates. Most accounts of those years don't suggest that very much happened. Trevor Harley at his Britweather website described 1971-74 as "the Dark Years of the Early Seventies".

Yes, my memories of the early 70s were unforgettable weatherwise. My first shift working in the Met Office was in February 1969 with snow storms galore, great fun reading the charts that month. As you report early to mid 70s , boring. Then we were rewarded with the hottest summer spell ever in 1976 followed by a run of much colder snowy winters, especially 1979.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The back end of 1993 was quite memorable for me- a grey wet washout of a September, a very cold bright spell in the third week of October (with snow for Aberdeen) and an exceptionally cold easterly around 20-22 November with heavy snow showers in the east.  The snow stuck around for 8 days at Durham and 7 days near the east coast, bar extreme coastal fringes.  Then we had a white Christmas in Tyne & Wear, with snow showers and accumulations that afternoon.

This year is looking likely to be "up there" re. being unmemorable but I'd still put it behind 2002 for now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted

First decent night storm for sometime, decent summer overall but temperatures in terms of maxima not outstanding. Bertha remains was not a lot, at least not around here.

The night storm has been the event of the year so far followed by the February gale, other than that not a lot.

I think some members are going to remember this year for the storms unless something exceptional happens in the last quarter.

Whilst other areas have had some decent thundery outbreaks this year, there has been not a lot around here.

To be frank, up to now, there are not going to be many things I will remember this year for. Time is running out for 2014.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

2014 has been quite bog standard really, although that thundery plume in July was pretty good. That's about all really!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

2011. Horrible year. Apart from some warm(ish) weather in April, nothing really noteworthy. Very mild end to winter, a washout of a summer, and an extremely boring Autumn; ridiculously mild right into November, with non-stop rain (although not particularly windy IIRC). Ramped up zonal weather in December, with some wet snow events but hardly noteworthy compared to the year before.

Overall very disappointing, especially with regards to winter.

2012 wasn't great, but some serious flooding in Cork in late June. I can recall the end of May being quite warm as well. A much more seasonal Autumn IMO. The highlight of the year was probably the hysteria following "THAT" ECM. :D

2013 was the best with regard to recent years. Good all-round. Some snowy days that continued into March, very chilly Spring, exceptionally warm weather during July, and some serious windstorms towards the end of the year (which I suppose made up for the lack of cold).

2014, so far has been quite good. Aside from the lack of any serious cold, the summer was amazing (even August wasn't that bad around here). Decent Indian Summer during September (as opposed to the mild muck "Indian Summer" during 2011).

Posted

Compared to 2002 and 2011, 2014 so far has been far more memorable and interesting. The wettest start to any year, followed by a lengthy very warm spell with one of the best summers in the last 20 years and for many the driest September in a long long while.

Take out Jan and Feb which saw very extreme weather, the rest of the year has in the main been free of extremes in terms of heat, heavy rainfall, strong winds, thunderstorms etc, but this isn't a reason to say it hasn't been memorable.

Most interesting year of the last 20 for me is 1995, followed closely by 2005 and 2010.

Posted

2008 for me. Forgettable winter of 2007-08 - too mild, uneventful and very typical spring, miserable summer, only autumn was decent because it was varied (not as good as autumn 2010 though) and the start of winter 2008-09 was also unremarkable.

Start of winter 2008-09 was unremarkable? I suppose in terms of what happened two years later it wasn't but it was the best start to winter, the official start that is, since 1995-96, IMO. After two dire winters and a number of other winters before that seem to take ages to get going, it was great to see winter start off as winter! Did see snow, frost and cold in that period. For me, it was just nice to see winter start off like winter even if it wasn't that exceptional.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted

Whilst other areas have had some decent thundery outbreaks this year, there has been not a lot around here.

To be frank, up to now, there are not going to be many things I will remember this year for. Time is running out for 2014.

Agree with this completely. 2014 has been as dull as it gets, especially in this location. January and February were uneventful here, being in the sheltered east winter actually had below average rainfall and we missed the worst of the gales. We've yet to see any sleet or snow falling, had only one thunderstorm overhead and haven't seen a temperature above 27C or below -2C (only a handful of days reached 25C or dropped below 0C). The wind between March and September was almost constantly easterly, which killed off any interesting weather developments around here.

The only thing this year has been really notable for is the persistent above average temperatures. That's pretty much it. It reminds me a lot of 2002, another boring but very warm year. Hopefully the next couple of months have something interesting as its been a very testing period as a weather enthusiast!

• Like 1

Posted

To be honest 2009 was pretty tedious round here, we missed all the interesting weather. February's cold spell was mediocre (5cm greatest snow depth and only one ice day) and December's was a complete non event (1cm on one day was all we got). Spring and autumn were very monotonous and there was no real notable warm sunny spell. It also had a lot of SE v the rest syndrome, especially in August.

When rubbish summer months are named and shamed, I seem to be the only one who ever mentions July 2009. It was atrocious, wetter than 1988, 2007 or 2012 and had no thunder at all. Was it only here it was that bad?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

If there was a bin that I could dump every forgettable year in, I would throw in the whole of these monotonous mild horror shows:-

-September 1987 through November 1990 with the exceptions of October 1987, July through November 1988, April and November 1989, and June and September 1990.

-March 1991 through July 1992 with the exceptions of May through June 1991

-November 1992 through June 1993 with the exception of December 1992

-January 1994 through November 1995 with the exceptions of February, May and September 1994 and March 1995

-February 1997 through November 2009 with the exceptions of June and October 1997, April, June, July, October and November 1998, June and December 1999, July and October 2000, January, March, April, June and December 2001, June, July and October 2002, October 2003, July and October 2004, November through December 2005, March 2006, July through August 2007, June, September, October and December 2008 through January 2009

-January through May 2011

-September 2011 through December 2012 with the exceptions of April, June, July, September and October 2012

-and last but not least July 2013 through December 2014 with the exceptions of November 2013 and August 2014

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Indeed, unless November or December turn out eventful I am going to view 2014 as a close contender for most forgettable year for weather, with 2002 currently holding the no.1 spot just ahead of 2011.  I spent most of the previous months in the Thirsk/Northallerton area where not a lot happened for most of the year.

July 2009 was a very wet month almost everywhere but there was a pronounced SW-NE split for some of the other variables.  Most of Wales and central and western England had a notably dull month with cool days, warm nights and little or no thunder, but most of Scotland and eastern England were slightly warmer and sunnier than average, with frequent thunder.  The frequency of thunder was particularly unusual around the Tyne and Wear area with 7 thunder-days at Cleadon, only slightly short of what you'd expect in that area of the country during an entire year.  I quite often see it mentioned on this forum as a bad month, although I found it quite enjoyable.  The fact that I spent most of it in Norwich (where thunder also occurred on 7 days) was a major factor behind this, however- had I spent it in the Shrewsbury area (or Exeter, where I spent most of June 2009) I would almost certainly have had a very negative opinion of the month.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

The saviour of 2014 at the moment for me is June and July; both were sunny months here with plenty of warm days. For once we seemed to do better than many places regarding sunshine in those two months. "Winter" was unforgettable simply because it was so awful- a near complete lack of cold, frost and snow but not that many real mild days- it was just 5-8C and raining for 3 months.

The real bore this year has been the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn- instead of the varied weather they can provide they have been monotonously above average but without any real heat, with a real lack of temperature variation or notable weather events. No 21C till late May, and nothing above 23C after the 8th of August. Nearly all the time they seem to have been in the teens and cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Apart from Jan, Feb and August this year hasn't been too bad in Reading. Had a very rhythmic pattern from March till late July of it being warm, dry and mostly sunny for a couple of weeks before getting a cooler unsettled period for about a week with a thunderstorm chucked in. Almost broke my record amount of storms seen in the UK this year with 11 so far, just one off my all time of 12 though we've come agonisingly close so many times this year if I was to count the amount of days i've heard thunder in the distance from a storm that dogged us at the last minute we'd be on around 17 by now. 

But before I drift further off topic, if I was to pick some forgettable years  2008 and 2012 are the top two followed by 2011. Virtually no storms, no heat, and no, particularly 2011 and 2008 reasonable snow, in fact 2011 was snowless down in South Devon, just lots of damp, mild weather. If this summer had turned out to be as bad as those years I'd be picking this year for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

2014 may turn out to be the warmest year in the CET record, but it has actually been one of, if not the most notable year on record for a complete lack of any spells of below average temperatures, and 2014 will not be remembered for being a year that has seen notable warm spells.  Apart from the cool August, all other months in 2014 have just been above average all the time without any exceptionally warm spells ever occurring, apart from possibly ten days in July and the exceptionally warm end to October.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted

December has been far one of the more interesting months of 2014.

Very mild, frost, rain, wind, hail, snow, snow cover, sleet, fog.

Easily, the month with the greatest variety for 2014.

As a whole though, 2014 has been a pretty forgettable year.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2