Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 30th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

A low of 2.7C here that's bloody cold for late may!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Min -1.8c

Posted

A frost here last night as well, -0.9c. Frost is unusual but not unheard of in the last week of May, incredibly frosts have been recorded in Wales in every month of the year, with -4.0c in St Harmon on 8th June 1985. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/extremes/monthly_temperature_country.html#lowest_daily_minimum_wales

I've been really busy at work this month so haven't been posting, but has been a really interesting month. Another cold one (my CET guess of 10.5c looks like it could be bang on the money), we had a fair bit of snow on the hills on the night of 14th May. Was snowing down to about 300m when I drove back from Aber that night but I don't think we had any snow or sleet down here in the environs of Llandrindod. Frustrating I wasn't around during the heaviest precip so I couldn't observe. 21mm of rain that night though is a lot for here.

Enjoying the sunshine this weekend, looks like a bit of a dodgy week but then some hints of high pressure returning next weekend. Has been a fairly dry spring overall.

• Like 2

Posted

Think so Julian I can't find anything colder this late in May, we had sub zero in June though, -0.2c in 2011!

St Harmon was a renowned frost hollow regularly reporting the lowest minima in the UK!

Sleet here in the very heavy rain that night Mike even at 4c.

Edited by TonyH

Cheers for that Tony, if the charts are right, with some High Pressure towards next weekend, perhaps that June low record will go.

A frost here last night as well, -0.9c. Frost is unusual but not unheard of in the last week of May, incredibly frosts have been recorded in Wales in every month of the year, with -4.0c in St Harmon on 8th June 1985. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/extremes/monthly_temperature_country.html#lowest_daily_minimum_wales

I've been really busy at work this month so haven't been posting, but has been a really interesting month. Another cold one (my CET guess of 10.5c looks like it could be bang on the money), we had a fair bit of snow on the hills on the night of 14th May. Was snowing down to about 300m when I drove back from Aber that night but I don't think we had any snow or sleet down here in the environs of Llandrindod. Frustrating I wasn't around during the heaviest precip so I couldn't observe. 21mm of rain that night though is a lot for here.

Enjoying the sunshine this weekend, looks like a bit of a dodgy week but then some hints of high pressure returning next weekend. Has been a fairly dry spring overall.

Last June we really got stuck in a rut with a pattern - (apologies for stating the bleeding obvious ) -

As such, hopefully the charts going for High Pressure building from the South West are accurate, and June can be at least decent. Edited by Jackone
  • Like 1

Posted

The full moon tonight coming up over the hilltops opposite was such an orange colour, I thought there were grass fires on the hilltop.

Is a bright orange moon indicative of a weather pattern / system?

Edited by joo

Posted

Yesterdays record gone min -2.1c

• Like 1

Posted

Yesterdays record gone min -2.1c

2c here minimum covered the beans never needed to do that last week of May !always ignored the old saying never cast a clout until May is out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Updated 24hr forecasts for South,West,Central and North Wales available at http://cymruweather.webs.com/ 

Steady persistent rain today, generally not that heavy, but moderate rain for quite a lot of the times. As such there will some decent rainfall totals especially on hills, however there was a noticeable squall line towards the back edge of the front which did give some very heavy rain for above 10 minutes, worth watching out for.

Posted

Steady persistent rain today, generally not that heavy, but moderate rain for quite a lot of the times. As such there will some decent rainfall totals especially on hills, however there was a noticeable squall line towards the back edge of the front which did give some very heavy rain for above 10 minutes, worth watching out for.

Yes a hell of ammount of rain now falling again summer 2012 repeat ? I hope not.But taking the very low solar activity and the jet stream so far south a.t.m,I don"t expect the glorious flaming June as the met are talking about.

Edited by keithlucky

Yes a hell of ammount of rain now falling again summer 2012 repeat ?hope not.

Damp now, main rain passed through hours ago - around 10-15mm rain locally, 20 mm on hills, the main issue was the persistence rather than the heaviness.

As for this summer, according to models, June is looking not bad, and could be quite good, next weekend looking quite good.

Posted

What the NAE had for this time:

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/05/27/basis18/ukuk/prec/13052800_2718.gif

However radar not really showing those amouns, no wonder the model is being ditched by the Met!

post-17320-0-94152700-1369696360_thumb.p

Posted

Anybody felt last night earth quake in North Wales registered 3.8 .

Posted

No missed it Keith!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Anybody felt last night earth quake in North Wales registered 3.8 .

My family did in Deiniolen, nr Caernarfon. They were woken up by it, and said windows and everything was shaking. They also reported that there was more than one earthquake. Edited by Liam Ellis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

An earthquake registering 4.6 in Wales last night has been blamed on a nuclear test by Welsh Nationalists.

http://weathersheep.com/wales-earthquake-blamed-on-welsh-nationalist-nuclear-test/

post-10773-0-95385700-1369830748_thumb.j

Posted Image

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 1

Posted

Animation is now ready, check it out for the weather across Wales for tonight and tomorrow! http://cymruweather.webs.com/animation 

Posted

Could be another cold night tonight if the skies stay clear, close to freezing possible in some places.

Otherwise some pleasant weather to look forward to over the coming days, nice and settled but not too hot.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Feeling very warm out, reached 22C here now 21.5C with a nice breeze! Probably the best summer like day so far!

• Like 2

Posted

Not working here, saying page is down .

Im sorry,I got the error too, however I think ive resolved it, try this: http://cymruweather.webs.com/animation

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Animation now updated to cover the weather over tonight and tomorrow. Available at: 

http://cymruweather.webs.com/animation