Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 29th March 2013 14:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Was thinking just the same myself.To much of a NNW direction to it with the majority of showers only effecting the coastal regions where altitude is obviously a problem.As for tomorrow, I'd expect you'd have to be up amongst the highest parts of the Pennines, Cumbrian Fells etc to see anything other than rain.Anyway at least I'm back of holiday without missing out on anything worthwhile and TBH even the change of temperature from 32c down to this afternoons 5c was bearable with the heating on.

get that emergancy chair out just in case. Hope you had a nive hol nice to have you back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

My parents live in ramelton co donegal eire. They have heavy sleet and hail. It turning white there very quickly !! Am so jealous. Am on nights so will be watching tonight with interest !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

My parents live in ramelton co donegal eire. They have heavy sleet and hail. It turning white there very quickly !! Am so jealous. Am on nights so will be watching tonight with interest !!

I'm surprised given the westerly position, and Donegal is relatively coastal too, I think that alone suggests even coastal areas are in with a shout tonight. 

Hail now.

• Like 2

Posted

Have been following the Donegal weather channel Reports of thunder too. Seems that northern Ireland getting it too. Hope we get something

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I'm surprised given the westerly position, and Donegal is relatively coastal too, I think that alone suggests even coastal areas are in with a shout tonight. 

Hail now.

Exactly. My thoughts all day.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some sferics in any heavy showers on the coast, is often the case at this time of year, as is the case currently in NI.

I'm annoyed I missed that shower before.

Edited by Chris R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

I'm hoping.. Already had sleet and hail here today. Expecting a minimum temperature of 1°C overnight. Just need the showers to pile in now.. which they aren't doing... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

get that emergancy chair out just in case. Hope you had a nive hol nice to have you back.

Yes good holiday thanks mate and the chair is ready and waiting.I spoke to a local in the resort who said that he had seen snow in pictures and on films but had never touched it and really wanted to do so.Maybe the novelty of it would go away a bit when it involves clearing the stuff from car windscreens on freezing dark mornings but it does seem strange that, dependent on location someone could live an entire lifetime without making a snowball.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Exactly. My thoughts all day.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some sferics in any heavy showers on the coast, is often the case at this time of year, as is the case currently in NI.

I'm annoyed I missed that shower before.

Thundery showers would be an excellent addition to the night, certainly thing are very unstable now, the yo-yo-ing temperature is testament to that. If you get thunder (you'll get it before I hear it), let us know so I can stick an ear out of the window.. should be able to hear a rumble from Crosby way.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Thundery showers would be an excellent addition to the night, certainly thing are very unstable now, the yo-yo-ing temperature is testament to that. If you get thunder (you'll get it before I hear it), let us know so I can stick an ear out of the window.. should be able to hear a rumble from Crosby way.

Yeah I will. Will be keeping my MW radio on in the background just incase as well. Will keep you all updated. Temp starting to fall again after rising from 5.6 to 6.4°C in 10 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

And I am in the middle in Wallasey so I will hear it too lol

Posted

Yeah I will. Will be keeping my MW radio on in the background just incase as well. Will keep you all updated. Temp starting to fall again after rising from 5.6 to 6.4°C in 10 minutes.

Yes same here, it was 5.6C now it's dropped to 5.0C, although there is, according to local obs model at Hilbre, a strengthening wind later which will potentially quell the fall in temperatures. Any prolonged clear spell is going to bring the chance of ice however, even on the coast.

And I am in the middle in Wallasey so I will hear it too lol

Well even better, as if it rumbles over Wallasey, I will probably catch it too.

Actually a few weeks ago, I was in Birko and saw that thunderstorm over Wallasey after nightfall, quite a short one though.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes good holiday thanks mate and the chair is ready and waiting.I spoke to a local in the resort who said that he had seen snow in pictures and on films but had never touched it and really wanted to do so.Maybe the novelty of it would go away a bit when it involves clearing the stuff from car windscreens on freezing dark mornings but it does seem strange that, dependent on location someone could live an entire lifetime without making a snowball.

Time nearly to get out all the emergancy chsirs for christmas and we all can sit round the table at different levels.Temp down to 5c.

Posted

Yes same here, it was 5.6C now it's dropped to 5.0C, although there is, according to local obs model at Hilbre, a strengthening wind later which will potentially quell the fall in temperatures. Any prolonged clear spell is going to bring the chance of ice however, even on the coast.

Well even better, as if it rumbles over Wallasey, I will probably catch it too.

Actually a few weeks ago, I was in Birko and saw that thunderstorm over Wallasey after nightfall, quite a short one though.

There was a big load of hail dumped there nearly 2 weeks ago and Grove Road was completely white and thick with hail.  Went around the corner to the Lighthouse pub and there was virtually none!!

• Like 1

Posted

Have a great spot on work watchin weather outside on cameras with big lights outside so will see anything if it happens tonight !!

• Like 2

Posted

There was a big load of hail dumped there nearly 2 weeks ago and Grove Road was completely white and thick with hail.  Went around the corner to the Lighthouse pub and there was virtually none!!

If that's the 9th you are talking about then yes, it hit here as well. 2 lightning strikes and loads of hail. Came from a similar set up to tonight I suppose, with a warm irish sea and cold upper air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Time nearly to get out all the emergancy chsirs for christmas and we all can sit round the table at different levels.Temp down to 5c.

2.6c here now.
  • Like 1

Posted

It snowing now at my mums in donegal !!!

• Like 2

Posted

It snowing now at my mums in donegal !!!

There you go. And that's the cold that's heading our way. Let's just hope the showers head our way as well and intensify over the irish sea.

• Like 2

Posted

If that's the 9th you are talking about then yes, it hit here as well. 2 lightning strikes and loads of hail. Came from a similar set up to tonight I suppose, with a warm irish sea and cold upper air.

I need to learn more about all this - I have always been interested in the weather but only lately started to wonder how to read the charts etc so I suppose a good time to start is now. Would be good to have a good storm I think.  Our bedroom window has a clear view across the market gardens so when there is a storm over the sea we have brilliant views

• Like 1

Posted

I hope so. Im rubbish on weather charts etc so take all my information and learning from you guys !!

• Like 2

Posted

There must be a 'kink' in the airflow, as there was a shower that was appearing to go to the west of here, but has altered it's course. It looks substantial, but will probably miss you guys further east. Temperatures seem to be decreasing with the clouds arrival, rather than rising too, classic evaporative cooling.

Posted

I need to learn more about all this - I have always been interested in the weather but only lately started to wonder how to read the charts etc so I suppose a good time to start is now. Would be good to have a good storm I think.  Our bedroom window has a clear view across the market gardens so when there is a storm over the sea we have brilliant views

Yes, well at this time of year, the sea is warmer usually than the air above it especially at times like this. The contrast between the warm sea and the cold air causes the air to rise and form clouds (convection). The greater the contrast in temperatures, the more explosive the convection, producing hail, graupel and often thunder primarily as the showers hit land. This means that places on the coast often get at least as much thunder in winter as they do in summer. The great snowfall of 17th Dec 2010 around here was caused by a similar setup. It's a very interesting topic. 

• Like 2