Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 29th March 2013 14:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Was snowing hard last night when I returned home from Manchester at around 9:30pm, it was crazy to leave Manchester with the car thermometer showing 7C in the city centre, yet I got to Rossendale and it was -0.5C and snowing. There's normally a few degrees difference between the two locations, but last night was pretty crazy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Was snowing hard last night when I returned home from Manchester at around 9:30pm, it was crazy to leave Manchester with the car thermometer showing 7C in the city centre, yet I got to Rossendale and it was -0.5C and snowing. There's normally a few degrees difference between the two locations, but last night was pretty crazy!

There's always been a big difference between temperatures in the Manchester area and up here in Rossendale and probably it has never been as noticeable as during this winter. On several occasions my wife who works in Mancheaster has left home with snow on the ground to find nothing down there and the opposite on the return journey.On the Saturday following the late March blizzard, I dug three feet of snow from behind the car to get my daughter to work in Bury.Down there was a slight slushy mess on the grass and nothing more.I did the same journey today and coming back up the M66, the Rossendale hills were again cloaked in white.Amazing what a difference a couple of hundred metres makes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Woken up to a dusting of snow this morning!

Its quite odd its been snowing a few days before May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

It ended up as a decent weather day today IMBY and I had a good long walk as a result.

Low point was nearly getting savaged off a loose Rottweiler on a public right of way across a field although luckily I was close enough to a gate to get on the safe side from it.

Hi point was seeing a couple of Roe Deer jump out of the long grass less than 20 metres in front of me although by the time I'd got my camera they were way off in the distance.

Amazing just how dry the ground is getting now with very little water in the streams coming down off the moors which considering last summers deluges is quite surprising and once the grass finally starts growing it will suck even more moisture out of ground.

Lets hope that topping up from the sky is far more limited this summer.

All in all a better day than forecast and in the sun it felt very pleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Getting beyond a joke this now...zero hours sunshine again today, bleak overcast greyness and struggled to get above 8-9c...intermittent rain, and feeling colder in the wind. Feeling more like January than virtually May. Horrible feeling we are actually stuck with this for the rest of 2013....

Posted

Getting beyond a joke this now...zero hours sunshine again today, bleak overcast greyness and struggled to get above 8-9c...intermittent rain, and feeling colder in the wind. Feeling more like January than virtually May. Horrible feeling we are actually stuck with this for the rest of 2013....

Yes I must agree that today has been bleak at best and very disappointing for the time of year.I think the problem is that the last few years have had warm springs and this year has been the complete opposite.The only crumb of comfort is that the warm springs have been followed by poor summers so, although we are somewhat in uncharted territory this year it will hopefully lead to a much better summer this time around.No science with that forecast, just an idea that it can't be as bad as last year.

Posted

Completely clear last night, I did some skywatching around 1am until 2am and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, the past-full Moon rising in the SW and constellations overhead. Around 3am it must have been the front came through with just a single sweep, a case of one minute it was clear and ten minutes later it was nothing but low cloud and mist, quite eery.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Sun shinning here for most of the morning. Clouding up a bit now andits windy too

Posted

Here in south Manchester we have had barely half average rainfall so far this year. Here are the figures from my closest wunderground station. Sadly there's no official station in the Manchester urban area.

Rain Ave   Days > 10mm Ave   Days > 1mm Ave

Jan 41.1   72.3   1   2.5   8   13.1

Feb   40.4   51.4   1   1   8   9.7

Mar   24.6   61.2   0   1.5   6   12.3

Apr 15.7   54 0   1.5   5   11.2

Totals   121.8 238.9 2   6.5   27 46.3

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/19812010/sites/manchester_airport.html  

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/#?tab=climateMaps  

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IENGLAND340    

As a gardener I can say that I can see this in the soil, it's very dry to any depth I dig. Admittedly I'm on very well-drained sandy soil. There was a lot of wind during the March cold spell which added to the problem, and if we don't get any real rain soon the warmer conditions will cause real problems for growers. Coming on top of the delayed start due to cold I can see this being a year that stands out in the tree rings in centuries to come.

But the builders on a site adjacent to my office have benefited. They had to shift several hundred truckloads of soil from the site before building could start. Due to the dryness it was gone in a few weeks and there was never a quagmire or a serious mud-on-road situation that would surely have arisen if rainfall had been average. It did lead to a lot of dust blowing about though.

This is the pattern of the last few years locally. Dry in spring then soggy all summer long.

Edited by alr1970

Posted

Here in south Manchester we have had barely half average rainfall so far this year. Here are the figures from my closest wunderground station. Sadly there's no official station in the Manchester urban area.

Rain Ave   Days > 10mm Ave   Days > 1mm Ave

Jan 41.1   72.3   1   2.5   8   13.1

Feb   40.4   51.4   1   1   8   9.7

Mar   24.6   61.2   0   1.5   6   12.3

Apr 15.7   54 0   1.5   5   11.2

Totals   121.8 238.9 2   6.5   27 46.3

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/19812010/sites/manchester_airport.html  

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/#?tab=climateMaps  

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IENGLAND340    

As a gardener I can say that I can see this in the soil, it's very dry to any depth I dig. Admittedly I'm on very well-drained sandy soil. There was a lot of wind during the March cold spell which added to the problem, and if we don't get any real rain soon the warmer conditions will cause real problems for growers. Coming on top of the delayed start due to cold I can see this being a year that stands out in the tree rings in centuries to come.

But the builders on a site adjacent to my office have benefited. They had to shift several hundred truckloads of soil from the site before building could start. Due to the dryness it was gone in a few weeks and there was never a quagmire or a serious mud-on-road situation that would surely have arisen if rainfall had been average. It did lead to a lot of dust blowing about though.

This is the pattern of the last few years locally. Dry in spring then soggy all summer long.

There has been a pattern over the last few years of dry springs followed by wet summers but unlike those, this year has been cold as well. Whether that has any baring on what the summer will bring is anyone's guess but at least no one can say this year that summer has peaked to early, certainly in this part of the country.

You're right about how dry it is though with just above 220mm here since New Year.

Keep that rate up until Christmas and 2013 will be at 40% of last year.

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Cloudwatcher, May 3, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Cloudwatcher, May 3, 2013 - No reason given

Cloudy, dull and still not that warm here today. So much for "improvement" this week lol..Let's hope May is better than April...could hardly be worse!

(improved a bit now :-) )

Edited by Cloudwatcher
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Should this thread merge with other Northern England threads by now? It is May now and the Winter is finished and done with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just chilling catching some rays.......though I look constipated haha

post-10987-0-99034600-1367505419_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Just chilling catching some rays.......though I look constipated haha

Well it has been a long time coming lol - lovely spring like weather last few days.  

Doesn't take long for nature to respond to this type of weather...

Early April...

post-727-0-20893900-1367522402_thumb.jpg post-727-0-82351800-1367522690_thumb.jpg

Yesterday...

post-727-0-60474600-1367522459_thumb.jpg post-727-0-42226300-1367522714_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted

Caught the sun yesterday the tan begins bring it owwwn.

Posted

Ahhh, Cheshire has had it's one nice day of the year out of 365 and normal service has today been resumed. No sun, cloudy and threatening rain but not actually having the inclination to be anything other than just dull. And windy too. Very windy today! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Ahhh, Cheshire has had it's one nice day of the year out of 365 and normal service has today been resumed. No sun, cloudy and threatening rain but not actually having the inclination to be anything other than just dull. And windy too. Very windy today! 

Jesus man, I live just down the road from you and it seems all of your weather reports are just false.

There has been some nice sunny spells today, and it's not windy at all, there's a slight breeze. It's been bright & pleasant.

I notice you don't post when the weather is nice.

Posted

Jesus man, I live just down the road from you and it seems all of your weather reports are just false.

There has been some nice sunny spells today, and it's not windy at all, there's a slight breeze. It's been bright & pleasant.

I notice you don't post when the weather is nice.

It's cleared a bit now I will grant you, and calmed down a bit but I will also state that at about 3pm it was a: very cloudy and b: very windy here. 

Edited by Cloudwatcher

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Cloudwatcher, May 6, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Cloudwatcher, May 6, 2013 - No reason given

It's cleared a bit now I will grant you, and calmed down a bit but I will also state that at about 3pm it was a: very cloudy and b: very windy here. But hey don't let that get in the way of you accusing me of being a liar........cheers

Backtrack, Apologies, probably got a bit over-defensive there. And I acknowledge that I do post more when the weather is not great as opposed to good. For the record yesterday was a gorgeous day here,  the best day of the year. Was disappointed with the change today. But trust me, when I posted that report, that weather was entirely accurate for us here. It's cleared a lot now, with very hazy sunshine and wind has dropped. At least it was warm and windy before! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It was a fairly mixed day, mostly cloudy today but bright so I don't think it was a lie as such... 15C but fairly chilly!

Posted

post-7254-0-15874800-1367654507_thumb.jp

Cloudy start, but hoping for improvement later, feeling mild at 11c, wind westerly and fairly calm

Seeing as now I feel I have to go someway to proving that my reports aren't falsified...picture taken at 8.55am facing south. Same looking north, east or west!

If I get blue skys and sunshine later (it's in the Met forecast for us today) I will post a picture of that too... Posted Image

Edited by Cloudwatcher

Posted

Yesterday dull today dull yawnnnn.

Cant wait for Winter. lol

• Like 1

Posted

Thought we would have had more sunshine today, mostly cloudy afternoon.  Tomorrow hopefully if the cloud breaks will feel pleasantly warm.  Fingers crossed.