Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

In Depth Model Discussion and Summaries

Paul

Posted

first class read-thanks

edited as I was suggesting what you have already done in the model thread before I dropped in there!

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted

first class read-thanks

edited as I was suggesting what you have already done in the model thread before I dropped in there!

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm really glad to hear the post is a good read  :).

My original post was in the model output section, but as it didn't really fit in there well, I placed it in this thread, with a link in the other thread  :wink:.

Edited by Vorticity0123

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

link below to Met Office model predictions for the summer, June-August

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/glob-seas-prob

my summary of the above would be, 500mb heights a bit above for ost with lower south of the UK, and similar with surface pressure, rainfall not far from average and temperatures more likely above than below average for most parts. Not sure if others will agree with that summary.

• 2 months later...
Posted

not from me, 15 days using a mix of anomaly and synoptic outputs with a check on the background signals from AO, NAO, PNA, MJO; in the spring/summer months, possibly extending it to about 3 weeks at the very most; little can be gained from looking at the 30mb chart I find?

I'm not a fan of looking much beyond that either.  Picking out very generic trends is possible but it becomes more and more guess work beyond T+240

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Just had a quick look back at the height anomalies for summer 2014 and i must say it doesn't look brilliant with evidence of northern blocking and lower than normal heights over much of Europe (plenty of big storms in Germany this summer) with the AO and NAO being mainly negative.

I think its fair to say the UK as a whole did pretty well and got the best

out of a pattern that could have easily tipped into the "miserable summer" category.

Thoughts now turning to the back-end of Autumn and winter as the polar vortex begins to fire up....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Oh dear 2 posts in three months - this thread appears dead in the water, only comes alive in winter...its a shame. I don't have the knowledge to post in depth accounts of likely trends etc, but it would be good if those in the know could on occasion dip in and out of this thread just so it has some action.

I'd be interested to hear people's views on reasoning why the last 4 weeks have delivered such quiet weather, and what are the likely trends as we head into Autumn proper. The model discussion thread is always good, but sometimes its good to escape it and read purely unbiased non-speculative posts about likely future conditions backed up by sound reasoning, with a peep into the longer term for overall trends. GP was great at this.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted

the pdf with various things about using 500mb anomaly charts along with examples

500mb various posts in order of posting-21 oct 2014.doc

• Like 4

Posted

the pdf with various things about using 500mb anomaly charts along with examples

attachicon.gif500mb various posts in order of posting-21 oct 2014.doc

Great sum-up, I think it will be a help for many!

To give a very rough illustration, below is the anomaly chart for 6-10 days out from the forecast of yesterday 21-10-2014:

post-20885-0-04714800-1413905893_thumb.g

6-10 day 500 hPa heights and anomalies from NOAA.

Focus on the contour lines indicated in green. What can be seen is that over the UK, the isobars can be clearly seen pointing upward (toward the pole). This is indicated by the black extra shading pointing toward the north (poleward). The upward pointing of the isobars illustrates a ridge is likely to be present at that location at the given timeframe. As a general rule, the positioning of a ridge overhead usually results in some kind of high pressure activity and calm/settled weather. 

Note that in the image above, there are also positive anomalies over the UK, which mean that the height of the 500 hPa pressure level is higher than average experienced at the given date (in the 6-10 day period)

Furthermore, just west of Newfoundland (US), an equatorward-dip in the isobars can be seen, which indicates a trough is situated in that area. This is likely an indication of unsettled weather occurring at that location.

For the ones preferring a PDF-format, below is a PDF-version of the document presented by John Holmes:

500mb various posts in order of posting-21 oct 2014.pdf

Source:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

Edited by Vorticity0123
  • Like 1

Posted

JMA now have extensive parameter, composite anomaly charts for the MJO - might be a link of interest to some.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/gmd/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/mjo/composite.html

Other analysis charts and monitoring indices here:-

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/gmd/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/acmi.html

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

To stop this being 'lost' in other threads, the latest (November) Met O model output for the winter, link below

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/glob-seas-prob

The 500mb anomalies are somewhat different for the 3 winter months ut the 2m temperatures continue to show average to above.

No doubt this will cause some raised eyebrows on here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

his november analogue doesnt look great for n america tony ! not the most auspicious start !

True! There is a the caveat on the site that the analog tool is in development, for November analogs I doubt many would feature the huge ridging out of central CONUS at present.

The products on this page are experimental, undergoing development and change, and unproven in the forecasting realm.

From Cohen's blog, 07 November update, early Wave Activity Flux via SCE and Nuri related to having some influence here and possibly throwing analogs sideways.

post-7292-0-21909200-1415652458_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-56746200-1415652459_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

John have a look at the last 6 months T2m temp 2-4 month percentile graphs ( uploaded in no particular order)

post-4523-0-50609100-1415652618_thumb.pn

post-4523-0-16823000-1415652624_thumb.pn

post-4523-0-65323200-1415652629_thumb.pn

post-4523-0-64935100-1415652637_thumb.pn

post-4523-0-69900500-1415652643_thumb.pn

post-4523-0-14861000-1415652611_thumb.pn

Notice anything?

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 2

Posted

coldish waters in the north Atlantic for starters?

a minimum % of 60 sometimes higher for 2m T to be above normal?

not very good at puzzles mate, so please enlighten me, no doubt I have missed something totally obvious?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Oh and here is Nov 2009 projection:

post-4523-0-21604200-1415652902_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

coldish waters in the north Atlantic for starters?

Yes - but other than that the 2-4 timeframe is useless for determining too much with percentile graphs other than the majority of the world is warming up due to global warming!

• Like 3

Posted

Yes - but other than that the 2-4 timeframe is useless for determining too much with percentile graphs other than the majority of the world is warming up due to global warming!

oh you cynic!

Just to be clear I am not suggesting their model output is correct, simply posting what it shows. I never keep these charts so I have no idea how far out they have been over the last 5 years or so. They did of course solidly predict some weeks ahead of the Nov-Dec 2010 cold spell pretty well. Other outputs have been best thrown away. But as you are well aware from your work in winter predictions we/they know so little of how many parameters connect up. That is why, to me, the OPI is such an interesting idea, not totally new of course and has yet to be peer reviewed but interesting. I posted some time ago about lrf work, 1 month ahead in the Met O in the mid 70's. All down to the jet stream the experts there suggested-really, how things have moved on since then.No doubt what we think is a break through at the moment will look equally old hat in 40 years time. Who knows in synoptic meteorology by then main weather cebntres MIGHT even be able to predict it will be rain or snow, how much, where and when. Mind you I would suggest folk don't expect this to happen with anything like total accuracy more that maybe 36-48 hours ahead by then!

tara

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted

The new met office update for winter seems to continue the same sort of pattern that has been the theme of much of 2014,with  a trough just west of the UK giving above average temperatures.

Heights..  temps..

Posted

From Cohen's blog, 07 November update, early Wave Activity Flux via SCE and Nuri related to having some influence here and possibly throwing analogs sideways.

attachicon.gifFigure2b.pngattachicon.gifFigure3b.png

Interestingly though, if you take the three closest OPI years...

post-1038-0-77937600-1415654297_thumb.pn

Not an exact match but certainly gives the right sort of idea :)

SK

Posted

oh you cynic!

Just to be clear I am not suggesting their model output is correct, simply posting what it shows. I never keep these charts so I have no idea how far out they have been over the last 5 years or so. They did of course solidly predict some weeks ahead of the Nov-Dec 2010 cold spell pretty well. Other outputs have been best thrown away. But as you are well aware from your work in winter predictions we/they know so little of how many parameters connect up. That is why, to me, the OPI is such an interesting idea, not totally new of course and has yet to be peer reviewed but interesting. I posted some time ago about lrf work, 1 month ahead in the Met O in the mid 70's. All down to the jet stream the experts there suggested-really, how things have moved on since then.No doubt what we think is a break through at the moment will look equally old hat in 40 years time. Who knows in synoptic meteorology by then main weather cebntres MIGHT even be able to predict it will be rain or snow, how much, where and when. Mind you I would suggest folk don't expect this to happen with anything like total accuracy more that maybe 36-48 hours ahead by then!

tara

I'm not being cynical, John. I just think that that is the way it is.

The time frame used of 3 months firstly dampens down anomalies too much, and secondly, if you have factored into your model a long term warming trend, then this will overide the monthly seasonal tendencies when added cumulatively and calculated as a percentile risk.

• Like 4

Posted

Great post SK.

Loving some of the more coherent and technical posts on NW in last couple of weeks outlining thoughts for the Winter to come, by a few 'key' posters.

Before 09/10 and Nov/Dec 10, only Winter of note to kick off in earnest before Xmas, with cold and snow was 81 (imby) in my lifetime.

I've always viewed snow before Xmas as something of a bonus, for these parts.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 3