Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Oh gawd not another Scandinavian Easterly on it's way, they've brought nothing but cold rain here since 95. I understand why they are popular on here as most of Net Weathers members are from the South, but those of us on the Western side rarely see anything from such a set up besides cloudy skies and cold rain. Here's to the models barking up the wrong tree!

Indeed. I mean, easterlies can deliver here, but not as frequently as, say, north-easterly winds, and usually not as good as the South (East). Nine times out of then, they just deliver static temperatures with slate-grey skies, and even if it does snow, it'd still be pretty boring. I want cold and sunny like Dec 2010 (not as cold, obviously - that's asking for too much).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I don't usually post in here but I can see my "elephant in the room" heading through my front door from Friday onwards.

HIGH PRESSURE CENTRAL IMBY until near on mid-December. Not all bad I guess, as things could be worse but there is a strong sense of de ja vu coming up.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Easterlies can be GD for battleground scenarios but getting one in place is going to be a long road of drama I bet and you can bet some little short wave will pop up again lets see what comes

Posted

People comparing the beginning of EVERY WINTER to 62/63 really grinds my gears.

The majority of posters being unduly optimistic when the models show the most benign weather possible for the next 2 weeks (and similarly being unduly pessimistic when the cold actually does come).

I think everyone should at some point should read through the model topics of the truly uneventful winter periods (like first half of 2011/2012 or 2007/2008 etc) and learn something from hindsight. Not every winter has to be a special one.

Edited by Strider
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

People comparing the beginning of EVERY WINTER to 62/63 really grinds my gears.

The majority of posters being unduly optimistic when the models show the most benign weather possible for the next 2 weeks (and similarly being unduly pessimistic when the cold actually does come).

I think everyone should at some point should read through the model topics of the truly uneventful winter periods (like first half of 2011/2012 or 2007/2008 etc) and learn something from hindsight. Not every winter has to be a special one.

Indeed...This'll be the 51st year of waiting.

Every December, it seems, folks are rather too eager (with varying degrees of sophistication) to shoehorn anticyclones into 'desirable' locations...But surely, when dealing with anything chaotic, the list of 'if thens' just gets too long and/or convoluted to make sense??

I'm sure I could post a bunch of charts from 1962, and then claim that it shows how things 'could' evolve this time...But, in truth, it wouldn't do that at all, IMO; it would merely show what did happen, precisely once.Posted Image Posted Image 

Edited by A Boy Named Sue
  • Like 5

Posted

it would usually be quiet in the mod thread when the models are as rubbish as they are now, but some madly over optimistic people assume that bland high pressure over us for the foreseeable will end up giving us raging easterlies in time as the high will move north, but in summer they don't assume that will happen and assume that the high will migrate east and draw up some warm southerly winds, but why don't they think we will get warm southerly winds in winter? cos they don't want that to happen,  i never hear talk of scandi blocks and easterlies in summer, cos they don't want that to happen of course

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And I forgot to ask the obvious question: has anyone ever fed 1962's data into a major model and seen what happens?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Our weather is tame in comparison to continental climates.  Check out the 5 day forecast for Fort Worth in Texas, US.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fort-worth-tx/76104/daily-weather-forecast/351196

They go from what is a very warm day by their standards for early Dec with a high of 25C on Weds to 0C by Friday.  The next day it tops out at -3C with snow!

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted

And I forgot to ask the obvious question: has anyone ever fed 1962's data into a major model and seen what happens?

That's a really interesting question but I wonder if they even kept that kind of data back then?

Posted

Our weather is tame in comparison to continental climates.  Check out the 5 day forecast for Fort Worth in Texas, US.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fort-worth-tx/76104/daily-weather-forecast/351196

They go from what is a very warm day by their standards for early Dec with a high of 25C on Weds to 0C by Friday.  The next day it tops out at -3C with snow!

in Oklahoma it will be -4c by day on friday and -10 by night, tomorrow it will be 17c, Oklahoma is on the same latitude as Gibraltar, my location is too far south for cold sometimes and i am a hell of a lot further north than gibraltar and oklahoma, but i guess when you are surrounded by warmish sea you pay the price

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The ECM mean oh man, if it were July, we would be starring down the barrel of a heatwave as extreme as August 2003 or July 2006, winds sourced from deep in the Sahara desert.

Makes the output so bad it's utterly hilarious Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

the ECM is total perfection for GAZ and Gavin tonight

could we be seeing this sight very soon

Posted Image

No way will that ECM FI be sunny! looks to be cloudy at around 10C

Posted

Wow thought the downgrades were done with for Thursday/Friday but noooo another 50+ miles shift north east, the -5 isotherm barely reaches us now and now probably not even a cold day!!!! unbelievable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Wow thought the downgrades were done with for Thursday/Friday but noooo another 50+ miles shift north east, the -5 isotherm barely reaches us now and now probably not even a cold day!!!! unbelievable. 

average day showing now for west, around 5C and rain, for friday, turns drier after

Posted

how a "weather enthusiast" can enjoy the current synoptics being churned out in december is just mind boggling, but of course we have about 4 months for snow so time is not an issue so i hear

gets to mid February and we finally see some good charts, this is what i expect to be reading "if only these good synoptics came in december the sun is too strong now" moan moan moan

anyway there is still plenty of time til xmas so even if it is 11-15c for the next two weeks and then it turns cold and snowy xmas week i will be very happy but that is not a guarantee so there is not much to be positive about right now 

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

as usial some folks looked at the model that showed the best wintery charts and ramped it up and when it fell at the last minute folks start going off on 1. This is the second cold spell the ecmf showed in the last 2-3weeks and at the last min it fell on it's weeble. The only reason folks fiel hacked off about the northerly is because this is only good for folks north england northward. It's the second cold spel the gfs didn't buy into and it did get it right. I must say we here in the u.k have a boring climate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'm going to sell my house and move to Sweden. No joke. In fact, I'll abandon my house and leave immediately. I don't care.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Says it all really

Posted Image

But it might be cold at the surface?

Posted Image

Edited by Purga

Posted

I's funny how I was absolutely ridiculed a couple of days back for suggesting that a period of dull non eventful weather followed by an eventual return of the  Atlantic could be a possibility, based on all output we've seen since I'd say that was pretty fair shout.

Posted

I's funny how I was absolutely ridiculed a couple of days back for suggesting that a period of dull non eventful weather followed by an eventual return of the  Atlantic could be a possibility, based on all output we've seen since I'd say that was pretty fair shout.

It's been dull and uneventful for what seems like weeks down here - praying for something to cling onto on the 18z run but expect more of the same as you say zzz