Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Snow in November is rare here, even in December until recently. Snow in October is essentially non-existent, a few frosts are best we can realistically expect. Usually we've had to wait until February before seeing some proper cold snowy weather. Not having a proper cold snowy snap until February would be quite normal, often don't even get them then either. I think the past few winters have got people's hopes up to unrealistic levels. There could be some trend to colder snowier winters due to changes in the jetstream etc but it remains to be seen if this is a long term change, even then a 'big freeze' winter which most hope for/predict will still likely be rare.

Posted

Its not a bonus. We always get November snow.

Can barely recall any November snow in these parts- I'm sure it has happened a few times but I can't think of too many examples. 2010 is the only occasion that stands out.

• Like 1

Posted

hardly any snow here either in november, but we do get days where it is warm and sunny in march, april, may, june, july, august, september, october, but it only usually snows in December, January and February here and joe public moan on and on that winter weather lasts too long, i start cutting the grass in march and the last cut is late october or early november that's too long

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Cor! dont agree with posts 44-48 in model thread! I know we all have preferences but mine would be sunny, dry, calm, even cloudy, anything but raging Atlantic

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Each to our own, I enjoy long dark stormy nights, especially if snow is involved !

• Like 3

Posted

Cor! dont agree with posts 44-48 in model thread! I know we all have preferences but mine would be sunny, dry, calm, even cloudy, anything but raging Atlantic

basically you want what non weather fans want then

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Average number of days of snow is 2 to 2.5 days. 

Cant remember much snow here at my location in november during my 40 yrs. Nov 2010 of course. Had some snow showers which gave a  light covering one night in late Nov 2005 but was gone by lunchtime the next day.  Had some snow showers around late Nov 1996 . Had a few snow showers for one day during early 2001 and 1991 and i think late Nov 1987. They are the only times i remember.

Posted

The briefest covering of snow I've ever seen happened on one night in November 2008 (the 22nd-23rd or thereabouts). The rain suddenly turned to snow and settled everywhere. Five minutes later the rain returned and it was gone.

I got about 15cm when I was in Sheffield on 18th November 2004. That was a good event for higher parts of central and northern England.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Snow in November is rare here, even in December until recently. Snow in October is essentially non-existent, a few frosts are best we can realistically expect. Usually we've had to wait until February before seeing some proper cold snowy weather. Not having a proper cold snowy snap until February would be quite normal, often don't even get them then either. I think the past few winters have got people's hopes up to unrealistic levels. There could be some trend to colder snowier winters due to changes in the jetstream etc but it remains to be seen if this is a long term change, even then a 'big freeze' winter which most hope for/predict will still likely be rare.

I think 2011-2012 although on the mild side was closer to an average winter - zonal December, increasingly cold and settled January, peak of the cold in first half of February before gradually warming up later. Each month also managed a dusting of snow in my neck of the woods.

Posted

Cant remember much snow here at my location in november during my 40 yrs. Nov 2010 of course. Had some snow showers which gave a light covering one night in late Nov 2005 but was gone by lunchtime the next day. Had some snow showers around late Nov 1996 . Had a few snow showers for one day during early 2001 and 1991 and i think late Nov 1987. They are the only times i remember.

Well the met office maps don't lie. It snows here at some point in November practically every year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

basically you want what non weather fans want then

very true, but of course from mid Nov, I want cold and snow

its just now snow probably isnt even possible in my location yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I enjoy a good Atlantic storm too - but only from around mid Oct until Christmas generally although in Jan too can be interesting too. If I could pick a month I'd most want a howling Atlantic storm its got to be November. 

Posted

I was just wondering if this current spell of weather can be called zonal. From my understanding I thought zonal weather meant a precession of deep lows being formed off the eastern seaboard and travelling towards us across the Atlantic. This current set up appears to be a stationary low just to the west of us, sending us frontal rain up from the sw. Many thanks Pete Iow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Each to our own, I enjoy long dark stormy nights, especially if snow is involved !

Oh Yeah PM stormy snowy nights are the best.. even better when that storm last for 72hours like it did in March........more of the same this year and i will be a happy boy...

• Like 1

Posted

Fingers crossed bigsnow, good to see you back ready for the winter months Posted Image Another Spring like last March would do me even if i had to wait all winter !

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Fingers crossed bigsnow, good to see you back ready for the winter months Posted Image Another Spring like last March would do me even if i had to wait all winter !

Ive been ready for the winter months since the end of March..... its getting to that time of year again where that child like feeling starts to creep in and you study every model run in greater depth...looking hoping waiting...the lamp post watching seat has been dusted off and the snow tyres are on the beast ready and waiting.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

@smithyweather. I beleave u r quite young and haven't experienced some of the 90's and 2000's. If u did then u wouldn't be complaining having no frosts and snow, only october snow i can remembor is 28th oct 2008.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Talking about Atlantic storms, Anyone remember this day who live here? a gust of wind of 122km/h was recorded http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGCC/2007/1/18/DailyHistory.html

I remember the windows in my old house creaking like mad, I bet they were very close to blowing in! cars wobbling on the street and then seeing slates flying everywhere. 2 people died in Manchester. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6272193.stm

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

So I've thought of one positive to what is my least favourite weather. I currently have the window open and am listening to the rain falling, something I would not be likely to be doing if it wasn't 12C and blowing in from the SE!

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and cold

Well I've just got in from a cracking game of hockey can't grumble about the weather plenty of mud to slide in could do with it being a little cooler I do prefer my hockey to be on cold autumn winter mornings but overall not bad weather today :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Today made is much easier to clear my house - especially compared to last weekends constant rain! Happy with these temps - will keep my final bill down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

This weather is terribly boring. This month will probably turn out very cloudy, less than 50 hours so far. Boo.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I'm not particularly surprised by this prolonged period of wet weather as it is just following a pattern of recent times... Just in 2013 we have had prolonged cold easterly in March and April, an unusually long spell of high pressure in July, that returned for periods during August, Sept and early Oct. We are now in another extended spell of weather, unfortunately more akin to the wet pattern we had to endure in 2012 when the jet seemed to often be blowing full strength straight through southern England.

Does this mean a mild, wet winter? No, of course not, but we may have to be patient. But when a change comes, expect it be dramatic, cold and blocked (that's more a ramp/ hunch). I will leave it to the experts on here to tell me when it is coming!

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1