Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

the website will not let me change it! i dont love rain at all, but prefer it to this uncomfortable hot weather, hate rain in the winter

Look harder at your profile settings and you will see you can!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Look harder at your profile settings and you will see you can!

Had this username since march, never changed it, it says I have made 2 changes to my username since 02 July, only 2 changes permitted, and I haven't

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

well, looking like another wasted heatwave day here for eastern areas as that dratted low cloud has engulfed us.

unhappy that the heatwaves all but over (tomorrow onwards is 'end game', deteriorating conditions, no more bright blue skies with strong warm sun :( ) and theres no sign of it returning..... and tbh id suggest that it wont return, but ive been wrong before! :lol:

Posted

its been a great spell of weather here, three weeks of temps in the mid twenties and at times high twentiesPosted Image , yesterday was the most cloudy so far, but there was lots of breaks and sunny intervals, west has been  best for this heatwave, never really been nagged with that cloud from the east.  However, this morning is the first proper overcast day, lets hop it breaks up a bit

I wonder if those storms come here Posted Image

Posted

Just eastern areas Mushy? Completely cloudy here this morning too and no signs of it breaking at the minute, I really don't get how this has gone so wrong! Now I know how you feel in the east so often. Then again we can't be too surprised when we get this as it's what you get when you live next to a cold sea- they get a lot of weather like this in San Francisco even at this time of year too.

I don't think we need to be negative about tomorrow and Tuesday, last year I would have given my right arm to have just two days like that with high temps and possibly a few storms. I think we can be more than happy with what has been a fantastic spell of weather that very few people predicted. Plus it's not all bad, it's certainly not going to be cold for the foreseeable future and won't be a washout either.

Posted

no thanks, more high pressure warm temps and loads of sun is what is wanted and stuff boring autumn as well.

Yes !!   and some more storms thrown in,  although I like autumn, it can bring convection off the still warm Irish sea , gales, or nice calm settled warm weather with a 'softer' feeling warmth.Problem is its just the precursor to the horror that is winter with its blandness, and big heating bills

Edited by IanR

Posted

Has the north sea SST recovered yet in this warm spell ?, or is that cold spring still having repercussions for the more eastern areas, bringing  low grey cloudy spells that were not predicted?  

Posted

Has the north sea SST recovered yet in this warm spell ?, or is that cold spring still having repercussions for the more eastern areas, bringing  low grey cloudy spells that were not predicted?  

Misty with drizzle most of yesterday and cloudy at the moment.  I think the Southern North Sea has come up by a few degrees but is still lower than average.

Hopefully will clear later

Posted

I'm no expert on this but I don't think the North Sea SSTs are ever warm enough to rule out the possibility of low cloud. They have certainly warmed up recently though- Posted Image

Many parts of the North Sea are now around 16C.

Posted

SSTs around our shores are no longer below average according to this map, generally being average to slightly above now. 

Posted Image

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm no expert on this but I don't think the North Sea SSTs are ever warm enough to rule out the possibility of low cloud. They have certainly warmed up recently though- Posted Image

Many parts of the North Sea are now around 16C.

I think you are right, S...Whatever the SST happens to be, there's always the chance that the overlying airmass might be ideal for low-cloud formation...

• Like 1

Posted

According to this map recent conditions have raised SST's to over 19c over a wide area west of Cornwall and South of Ireland:

http://ghrsst-pp.metoffice.com/pages/latest_analysis/sst_monitor/ostia/sst_plot.html?i=34&j=2

with anomalies up to 4c above average there, and higher around some western coasts apparently! (link to anomaly plot below the map)

Still some average to slightly below average areas in the Channel and southern North Sea, presumably left over from the colder anomalies in spring and where the surface has been mixed more.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

According to this map recent conditions have raised SST's to over 19c over a wide area west of Cornwall and South of Ireland:

http://ghrsst-pp.metoffice.com/pages/latest_analysis/sst_monitor/ostia/sst_plot.html?i=34&j=2

with anomalies up to 4c above average there, and higher around some western coasts apparently! (link to anomaly plot below the map)

Still some average to slightly below average areas in the Channel and southern North Sea, presumably left over from the colder anomalies in spring and where the surface has been mixed more.

Now SSTs like those would (with all the usual caveats Posted Image ) be a good thing in terms of autumnal storm-chances?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Had this username since march, never changed it, it says I have made 2 changes to my username since 02 July, only 2 changes permitted, and I haven't

PM me what you want to be called and I can change it for you.

Lets not give up on summer just yet - its only 21st July after all! Admittedly hot, sunny spells are best June & July at peak daylight length but still August can deliver - and still could. Trying to feel cheery under this awful low cloud...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Hmm, 2nd day running under grey grotty skies and a poor 19C, lets hope the sun comes back tomorrow to help fire up those storms ;) As cloudy and cool will only fire up my temper lol. Oh well, been a great couple of weeks so can't complain too much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Warm again today, infact enjoing it more than the extreme heat of the last few weeks, yes I like it sunny too, but better to be able to enjoy what we get than not be here at all.

So who is up for a storm later?

Now SSTs like those would (with all the usual caveats Posted Image ) be a good thing in terms of autumnal storm-chances?

Depends on the depth of the heating - satellites measure skin and sub-skin temperature down to c. 1m below which they are compared with buoy measurements. One would think that a couple of decent storms might knock the surface temperatures down several degrees with mixing towards the foundation temperature at around 10 metres depth.

• Like 1

Posted

Best day in over a week here temp 23.6c with humidity levels down to 59%. You can keep your humid unhealthy high 30s weather thank you, I'm loving this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Just eastern areas Mushy? Completely cloudy here this morning too and no signs of it breaking at the minute, I really don't get how this has gone so wrong! Now I know how you feel in the east so often. Then again we can't be too surprised when we get this as it's what you get when you live next to a cold sea- they get a lot of weather like this in San Francisco even at this time of year too. I don't think we need to be negative about tomorrow and Tuesday, last year I would have given my right arm to have just two days like that with high temps and possibly a few storms. I think we can be more than happy with what has been a fantastic spell of weather that very few people predicted. Plus it's not all bad, it's certainly not going to be cold for the foreseeable future and won't be a washout either.

im surprised you have it tbh, i can only talk for my area and assume other eastern areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

PM me what you want to be called and I can change it for you.

Lets not give up on summer just yet - its only 21st July after all! Admittedly hot, sunny spells are best June & July at peak daylight length but still August can deliver - and still could. Trying to feel cheery under this awful low cloud...

Even September can bring some late heat like it did a few years back fair enough the nights a drawing in by late August onwards but the potential for some heat last's till around mid September realistically after this we then look to an Indian summer

Posted

im surprised you have it tbh, i can only talk for my area and assume other eastern areas.

Yes it's stretching right across to the coast of NW England although Cumbria and most of the North Wales coast are clear, seems to be gradually moving away from the south west so I reckon we might see some sunshine within the hour, it will be too late to rescue the temperatures though.

Posted

Even September can bring some late heat like it did a few years back fair enough the nights a drawing in by late August onwards but the potential for some heat last's till around mid September realistically after this we then look to an Indian summer

Totally agree!Remember Late Sept/early Oct 2011? i think we had our best dry, sunny and v warm spell of the year then. The remarkable fact about that late warm spell was how it stayed warm even after dusk.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Totally agree!Remember Late Sept/early Oct 2011? i think we had our best dry, sunny and v warm spell of the year then. The remarkable fact about that late warm spell was how it stayed warm even after dusk.

Yep thats the one I was refering too I think 29c was hit right at the end of September and 29c was hit again right at the start of October in the south

Just goes to show how hot it can get with the right set-up even that late in the year

Posted

A very unsettled signal for Autumn being picked up by all the long range models, September looks a write off for any warmth if they are indeed proven correct.

Posted

A very unsettled signal for Autumn being picked up by all the long range models, September looks a write off for any warmth if they are indeed proven correct.

They seem to change every few days, someone the other day was talking a signal for a warm September/October. The models are pretty much useless 2 months out IMO.

• Like 1