Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Posted

Is that aimed at me? Why are you attacking me? Don't think I deserve that. Last winter was a season of moans and wrist slashing (which I didn't get involved in), am I so bad? Apologies if so, when i suffer sleepless nights because of shoulder arthritis I can be grumpy. This problem is getting worse each year since 2008.

me and you get frustrated as we have allotments and crops need warm weather more than humans, so when we see wind, cool night time temps and not much sun we get annoyed, even though i haven't felt the cold at night i know its has been to cold for my crops, whilst people who couldn't care less about allotments go to bed and are oblivious to the cool night time temps like we have seen a lot of this year, so there is no reason for them to moan like us

there is a difference in summer as a lot of the time the weather is usable even if its not that warm or that sunny, you can walk on the street or sit outside during the middle of the day even if its 16c and partly cloudy you can do some things outside and then at night time people go to bed, but that weather is no good for crops, whilst in winter we purely look for snow and if there is no snow and its 2c with cold rain the toys come flying out of the pram from everyone, in summer it dosen;t need to be 30c,  20c and cloudy is comfortable, its just boring to us weather freaks, but too much wind or not enough sun is not good enough for our crops even if its dry, for example when we had that sunny spell a couple of weeks ago it felt nice for me during the day, but the wind and cool nights harmed my crops, last week was mainly dry but cloudy here, that's ok for me, but not ok for crops, hence the moaning

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted

how do we know what the real official data is though, i have looked on various sites and all of them have different current temps for my area, one says 23.5c another one says 24.2c and another one 24.7c and where do i find the data for june in luton? and on a site i looked at it says the average temp is only 17c for here in june, i know we are on high ground but i still thought it was 19c?plus its always a bit warmer at airports anyway i don't live near the airport

some sites have an official weather station conforming to Met O standards, some acceptable sites and others with no sites that are apparent.It may be an idea to e mail Met and ask for the nearest site to you for day max/min rainfall and sunshine. There some climatological sites that report just once per day hence the delay, looked upon suspiciously by some, why Met are a few days into the next month before they release their monthly summary. Nothing suspicious simply waiting for all the data to arrive.hope that helps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Pinched this from the weather in the media thread

PUNTERS ENJOY AN ASCOT BLOW-OUT

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/322042/Punters-enjoy-an-Ascot-blow-out/

Our summers will be as hot and dry as 1976, the Met Office said three years ago... and now they're predicting a soaking decade

• [*]In May 2010, experts said regular hosepipe bans would be needed [*]Predicted constant hot weather and warned of repeats of 1976 droughts [*]But last week said Britain will have 10 years of soggy summers [*]Tourism bosses have accused experts of driving UK holidaymakers abroad [*]Said they present ‘academic machinations’ as reliable weather predictions

Think it sums up weather prediction long or short range.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

Pinched this from the weather in the media thread

Think it sums up weather prediction long or short range.

1976 style summers it is then for the next 10 years........Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

It looks like another bit of cherry picking bits that suit a certain agenda and possibly, possibly misquoting-after all it was from the Daily Mail!

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

It looks like another bit of cheery picking bits that suit a certain agenda and possibly, possibly misquoting-after all it was from the Daily Mail!

Anything to grab a headline.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It looks like another bit of cheery picking bits that suit a certain agenda and possibly, possibly misquoting-after all it was from the Daily Mail!

There's nowt like 'cheery' picking, John...

Looking on meto.gov.uk

Typing Luton as my location is says

Rothamstead No2 (Nearest climate station to Luton)

Climate period: 1981-2010

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/luton#?tab=climateTables&map=SignificantWeather&zoom=8&lon=-0.42&lat=51.88&fcTime=1371945600

The average max temp is 21.8c - apparently about 7 miles away from Luton

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There's a fair amount of talk in the main model output thread about whether the upcoming outlook is good, disappointing, close but no cigar, or whatever- a fair amount of it would be more suited to this thread although on the positive side, at least there is evidence of individual-on-individual variation as to what we want out of summer, rather than everyone conforming to a certain view.

Personally I've never been a fan of the "Azores High ridging into the south and westerlies on the northern flank" setup, though I'd take it over what we had in early to mid July last year.  It's quite good for "usable" weather, especially in the south, but tends not to be noteworthy sunshine or temperature wise and is a right snooze-fest convection wise- the ridging Azores High is very effective at killing off any convective potential, less so at killing off frontal rainfall.  But for those just after some decent outdoors weather it will be a lot more appealing, especially in the south.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

really bored of this summer, yes its drier than last year but what a yawnfest, no proper warmth, temps always seem to be just a little below average, when it rains it just patchy type rain from grey featureless stratus and nothing really convective ,

we have had some reasonable amount of sun but it does not feel all that hot, and as for storms , I really have to pinch myself to believe it is actually even worse than lasts years woeful record. we had at least two decent ones by this stage , Is this the year that I have been dreading?.... where absoloutly  no storms occur for the whole of the summer months, with that azores high persistanty in trying to push in but unable to,  it looks like a bland no mans land of weather for the forseeable, with persistant westerlies or northwesterlies with pressure never high enough for proper heat or low enough to get convection going, bland , bland , bland, bland, bland.....Posted Image

well it is the moaning thread

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Still havnt hit 20c here this year! and doesnt look like it will anytime soon with the southern, central and eastern areas getting the heat as usual. Why cant the whole of the uk just have a nice warm summer for once. 15c in egremont with patchy light rain.... 25c in london with sun and TStorms. Does my ...... head in!

Posted

Still havnt hit 20c here this year! and doesnt look like it will anytime soon with the southern, central and eastern areas getting the heat as usual. Why cant the whole of the uk just have a nice warm summer for once. 15c in egremont with patchy light rain.... 25c in london with sun and TStorms. Does my ...... head in!

yet again another stereotypical rant at the south and east, i haven't reached 20c many times this month, and the south and east has seen plenty of cool easterlies with cloud, while the north and west have had some decent weather this month, last year i remember there was a period in summer when northwest england and Scotland had dry weather, and the south, west and east had lots of rain due to the southerly tracking jetstream

i know it must be hard growing tomatoes up there, but its not much better down here trust me, my toms are rubbish yet again, that tells you the weather is not as warm as you northerners think it is down here

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

There's a fair amount of talk in the main model output thread about whether the upcoming outlook is good, disappointing, close but no cigar, or whatever- a fair amount of it would be more suited to this thread although on the positive side, at least there is evidence of individual-on-individual variation as to what we want out of summer, rather than everyone conforming to a certain view.

Personally I've never been a fan of the "Azores High ridging into the south and westerlies on the northern flank" setup, though I'd take it over what we had in early to mid July last year.  It's quite good for "usable" weather, especially in the south, but tends not to be noteworthy sunshine or temperature wise and is a right snooze-fest convection wise- the ridging Azores High is very effective at killing off any convective potential, less so at killing off frontal rainfall.  But for those just after some decent outdoors weather it will be a lot more appealing, especially in the south.

Ridging of the Azores high with westerlies over the UK isnt ideal as it often promotes a lot of cloud and temperatures further north can often be on the cool side as cooler air tucks in from the north from time to time. Southwesterlies or southerlies are better as they remove any possibility for cooler air to get in from the north. But i am looking forward to the increased humidity and warm evenings even if sunshine amounts wont be that great.

• Like 1

Posted

yet again another stereotypical rant at the south and east, i haven't reached 20c many times this month, and the south and east has seen plenty of cool easterlies with cloud, while the north and west have had some decent weather this month, last year i remember there was a period in summer when northwest england and Scotland had dry weather, and the south, west and east had lots of rain due to the southerly tracking jetstream

i know it must be hard growing tomatoes up there, but its not much better down here trust me, my toms are rubbish yet again, that tells you the weather is not as warm as you northerners think it is down here

Its a pity that any settled conditions this June have often been associated with a cool northerly/easterly airstream which has brought in a lot of stubborn cloud and cool temperatures for eastern areas. Whereas western and northern parts have seen warmer and sunnier weather. I guess that shows how this June has been different to the general pattern of summers recently where the best warmth was to be found in the SE with the NW cooler and wetter. Here we've seen quite a bit of rain this month so i am relishing a dry 7-10 day period and winds coming from a warmer direction for us on the east coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Easterly airstream? No, I dont know about sunnnier, but warmer weather in the the North and west? Not sure if serious. It reached 20c in London today lol

Posted

Well i'm afraid it seems my 'doom and gloom' posts for the weekend are slowly becoming true, Saturday now, as expected 100% cloudcover and drizzle.

Really so predictable and just watch the 06z take away Sunday to, why do these azores high NEVER trend northwards, always end up with a South East takes all scenario.

Edited by conor123

Posted

It seems its been 2 steps forwards 1 step back from the models in recent days. We were looking at low pressure sinking south into the north sea at the weekend. bringing a return to cool conditions. Then we had a big turnaround to a big Azores high with warm temperatures nationwide. Now we've gone backwards with less warmth and more cloud around but still better than what was being shown 5/6 days ago.

really bored of this summer, yes its drier than last year but what a yawnfest, no proper warmth, temps always seem to be just a little below average, when it rains it just patchy type rain from grey featureless stratus and nothing really convective ,

we have had some reasonable amount of sun but it does not feel all that hot, and as for storms , I really have to pinch myself to believe it is actually even worse than lasts years woeful record. we had at least two decent ones by this stage , Is this the year that I have been dreading?.... where absoloutly  no storms occur for the whole of the summer months, with that azores high persistanty in trying to push in but unable to,  it looks like a bland no mans land of weather for the forseeable, with persistant westerlies or northwesterlies with pressure never high enough for proper heat or low enough to get convection going, bland , bland , bland, bland, bland.....Posted Image

well it is the moaning thread

I think the mid-atlantic high/Azores high riding up to our West is the most boring setup for weather anytime of year, would prefer almost any set up to it. In winter little chance of snow, frost, heavy rain, gales. In summer a lack of heat and often sun as weak fronts topple in from the NW with bits and pieces of rain, lack of convective weather. Dull dull dull.

• Like 1

Posted

I really need to stop reading the model output discussion thread!!

Posted

i've been patient for the last couple of weeks just accepting the average weather i've had, but when i got home tonight and saw the downgrades a fuse blew, im sick to death of seeing downgrade after downgrade, why is there never a surprise upgrade with heat, and why do we have to get so many bloomin north-westerly type set ups, is that our default wind direction in summer now, in winter the azores high would shunt everything further north and we get southerlies or southwesterlies

its been a dry month but also a cloudy and windy month here

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yes Tony I agree, I guess for us trying to grow our own fruit and veg the weather is a bit more important than to the 'average' person, like you've said before.

Despite endless charts of high pressure been showing for weeks now, it's never quite materialised and I've had one nice day since the first few days of June. It's been cloudy, cool and often windy. No good for my crops, or me tbh.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

By far the best charts in summer since 2006 are now in view. Even with some downgrades it could potentially turn out very good. The background signals are there for something decent in July anyway. I think anyone would appreciate this over the dross of the last 6 Summers anyway!