Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Posted

Right now I am gagging for a significant rise in temperature and really hoping that this year we can have a decent summer.

It hasn't esaped me that this, so far, very cold spring is likely to have a significant impact on agriculture - I wonder whether there will be sufficient bees around for pollination and will late frosts adversely affect the fruit trees,

On the other hand with a relatively slow thaw in the worst affected parts will mean that the chances of flooding could be diminished.

I'd have thought that a late spring would be better than one like last year which started very early with a very warm March and then turned cold and wet throughout April. Most blossom was out by the end of March last year with many trees also in full leaf- I recall seeing lots of horse chestnuts in full leaf before March was out. At least this year there is very little growth around that could be damaged by frosts. Spring 2008 was a cool one up to May and I remember there were many trees without leaves into the first week of May, but once the warm spell started, everything sprung to life in a couple of days.

• Like 1

Posted

The thing that gets me is how the coldies criticise people for suggesting the cold is affecting nature/farmers etc and then they themselves often criticise anyone who wants something milder due to the possibility of it becoming wetter. There are a couple of posters in the model output at the moment who seem to have several posts on every page and almost every post mentions cold and nothing else, they are quite remarkable for their love of monotony. I don't mind the current bright weather too much as long as I'm just looking out at it but it's very monotonous indeed. I'd actually like to feel some different kind of air now after weeks of these raw easterlies. It really is rather unpleasant to be out and about in it and I'd like to be able to at least ditch the coats, hats and gloves now, even if I have to replace them with a hood or an umbrella for a while.

I don't know why all the fuss about farmers and wildlife, and people that work outside, as the planet and people have managed for thousands of years in much worse conditions.

If you work outside then the weather is an occupational hazzard that comes with the job, and if you don't like the weather, then get an office job. Posted Image

Nobody has mentioned poor people that can't afford heating though, but who cares as long as animals and plants are ok. Posted Image

Rant over! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I really want to nail this supposed coldie attitude I have, all I want i a spell of settled weather, ok it's cold but it's dry and sunny and with a stronger sun it's good for evaporating a lot of the surface water we had to contend with for the entire winter due the washout of last year. But it's still precarious and one above average month for rainfall could have areas like the south west back in serious trouble.

Weather shown in charts like this

Posted Image

must be avoided especially as they can continue to crop up over and over again. Southerly tracking jet and low pressure going further south than usual, we had this for over half of the year last year!

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

I really want to nail this supposed coldie attitude I have, all I want i a spell of settled weather, ok it's cold but it's dry and sunny and with a stronger sun it's good for evaporating a lot of the surface water we had to contend with for the entire winter due the washout of last year. But it's still precarious and one above average month for rainfall could have areas like the south west back in serious trouble.

Posted Image

must be avoided especially as they can continue to crop up over and over again.

I wouldn't let it bother you the Milldies will soon be crying in their milk when we have days of endless wind, rain and mild, Lol
  • Like 1

Posted

Imby, we seem to have had very little rain since Christmas. Yes, we have had some snow, but not all that much. Dare I say it, but I think we actually need some rain, and the sooner the better!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Posted Image

must be avoided especially as they can continue to crop up over and over again. Southerly tracking jet and low pressure going further south than usual, we had this for over half of the year last year!

I wouldn't have put you in the category anyway. Your posts are reasonably balanced. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The low is less deep so better chance of seeing some decent shower activity, though it will still be cool

Posted Image

Posted

The low is less deep so better chance of seeing some decent shower activity, though it will still be cool

Posted Image

Posted Image

Are you still in the right thread?

This one is for moaning old so and so's...

• Like 1

Posted

Are you still in the right thread?

This one is for moaning old so and so's...

Yeah posted in wrong thread Posted Image , saying that doing senile things like this probably make the post count

Oh god, this ecm run is literally recreating what just said, the low is going straight over my house

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I don't know why all the fuss about farmers and wildlife, and people that work outside, as the planet and people have managed for thousands of years in much worse conditions.

If you work outside then the weather is an occupational hazzard that comes with the job, and if you don't like the weather, then get an office job. Posted Image

Nobody has mentioned poor people that can't afford heating though, but who cares as long as animals and plants are ok. Posted Image

Rant over! Posted Image

What ignorance as I alluded to earlier.

We cant all have cosy warm office Jobs. Without those who work in our outdoor sectors like agriculture youd have no food on your plate! And this cold spell is delaying growth, will push prices up etc.

And our ecosystems are vital.

Yes things have been worse in the past but, I feel even more sorry for those farmers because they endured last years awful weather too.

Its all to easy for you to say this as you sit in the warmth right now in front of your computer screen.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The thing that gets me is how the coldies criticise people for suggesting the cold is affecting nature/farmers etc and then they themselves often criticise anyone who wants something milder due to the possibility of it becoming wetter.

I think you may well have a point there- some of this "careful what you wish for" re. the possibility of mild weather being wet does strike me as hypocritical.

In the meantime tonight's ECMWF run illustrates how those who say "it won't be endless cloud and rain" are not yet guaranteed to be right- all it takes is a slight southward revision of some of the low pressure systems and large areas of the country could end up under slow-moving fronts.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted

I think you may well have a point there- some of this "careful what you wish for" re. the possibility of mild weather being wet does strike me as hypocritical.

Yes and I must hold my hands up and say I've mentioned farmers/wildlife etc when bemoaning persistence of cold weather when I probably shouldn't have, I think some of us get frustrated by some members seemingly celebrating a continuation of cold conditions when we feel that it has gone on long enough. Recently it's almost like some members have been offering us the choice between cold and dry as with the current conditions or mild and wet, as if it's a choice between light and dark.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Rant over! Posted Image

HUH?

I have seen loads of posts saying both (made some myself, so I know they exist).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Rant over! Posted Image

So if we all went indoors in a nice warm office, where is all of your food going to come from? It needs to warm up now so the grass can grow to feed the cows and sheep, plants and trees to blossom to be pollinated by bees so you can get your fruit and veg etc etc

yes nature and people have survived for thousands of years but we have a rather large population to feed now. I have mentioned several times over the months about how the cold costs the poor and vulnerable although not on this thread.

Its this 'I'm all right jack' mentality and lack of empathy that riles people.

• Like 6

Posted

It needs to warm up now so the grass can grow to feed the cows and sheep, plants and trees to blossom to be pollinated by bees so you can get your fruit and veg etc etc

Britain has imported food for thousands of years, yes thousands, because of our poor climate.

We are living on a tiny little island and have always relied on imports. Approximately 40% of our food is imported.

• Like 1

Posted

Perhaps it is the possibility of not even reaching a 40% figure that is of concern in the spring period?

Posted

Rant over! Posted Image

Most people have the benefit to be able to look after theselves and if not the caring of others, Most animals do not have this advantage, Comments like these reinforce my opinion that I would rather the company of my dog than that of some people.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Britain has imported food for thousands of years, yes thousands, because of our poor climate.

We are living on a tiny little island and have always relied on imports. Approximately 40% of our food is imported.

Do some reading.

Yes lets import all of our food because if we cannot get things growing it will be alot more than 40%, don't worry about the businesses in this country, lets create more unemployment. As for your 'do some reading' comment, I found that very patronising. As its our livelihood I am all too aware of the business of food production.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Rant over! Posted Image

That's not really very well thought through - yes the world and some of the wild life and crops still survive a cold spring and winter but often at quite some cost to their populations. It also means extra heating costs and eventually extra food costs in the delay to the growing cycle and if by any chance the bees got killed off altogether we would be up Sierra Hotel India Tango creek because a lot of crops would not get pollinated leading to a food shortage.

Like a lot of people on this forum, I love cold and snow but at the right time of year just as in the summer I love the warmth and blue skies. I have spent many a time out in the cold and in all weathers working.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Ok Mushy, I'm just feel grateful that half the area I live in is not underwater due to actually having some dry weather. It's not just cold which is bad for wildlife and business. We both want the same thing and that's warmth, but as I said before I just can't see it, when we compare temperatures by next week to now, apart from eastern coastal areas there will probably not be much difference, that negated by the weather conditions. I would rather it be dry instead of the possible washout we can get with low pressure coming straight through us.

Frankly round my way I'm not sure what has killed a lot of the trees and plants, was it the cold or snow, or was it being underwater for long periods of time making even a moderate breeze uproot and kill them.

true, waterlogging kills plants/trees, cold seldom does (native sp). i agree that it possibly wont feel much better under cloud and wind, but losing the overnight frosts will help nature start growing. its true, i dont like nor want cloud and rain, but in cloud and rain i can work, nature can get on with living...it/i..cant currently.

There are a couple of posters in the model output at the moment who seem to have several posts on every page and almost every post mentions cold and nothing else, they are quite remarkable for their love of monotony.

isnt it annoying... focusing on one type of weather and ignoring the other options is ridiculous and doesnt add anything to the forum.

Rant over! Posted Image

i was going to respond, but i see many already have and pointed out how daft this post is! Posted Image

What ignorance as I alluded to earlier.

We cant all have cosy warm office Jobs. Without those who work in our outdoor sectors like agriculture youd have no food on your plate! And this cold spell is delaying growth, will push prices up etc.

And our ecosystems are vital.

Yes things have been worse in the past but, I feel even more sorry for those farmers because they endured last years awful weather too.

Its all to easy for you to say this as you sit in the warmth right now in front of your computer screen.

top post! fully agree Posted Image

no... people migrated here because of our temperate climate and rich soils.

you clearly have no idea of how the countryside works, how argiculture has shaped our countryside and fed the nation. or the relationship between wildlife and agriculture, or the state of british wildlife, how many speciese of everything are on a downward spiral.

we cannot, should not, rely on imports, imports are luxuries, we need to produce our own basic foodstuffs and prevent pollution which adds to global warming that importing food produces.

• Like 5

Posted

Do some reading.

britain has not imported any where close to 40% of its food for thousands of years, that figure is very recent and if YOU did some reading you would see there is almost universal consensus that this figure is totally unsustainable as transport costs increase and access to water in the supplier countries decreases......

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

Posted

Just before some people find their use of the forum restricted, and following on from (numerous) requests on this and other threads to show others respect, I'd strongly recommend having a read of the (very straight forward) forum guidelines and sticking to them.

http://forum.netweat...tion=boardrules

I'd also remind people that this thread is for model related banter, ramping etc, not rows about food importing or whining because some people have a weather preference which doesn't match your own.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

NAVGEM leads the way again this morning

Posted Image

Posted Image and wet for most with snow on the mountains and hills!

Just waiting for the corrections south. Posted Image

Edited by Purga

Posted

NAVGEM leads the way again this morning

Posted Image

Posted Image and wet for most with snow on the mountains and hills!

Just waiting for the corrections south. Posted Image

I thought this thread was for moaning and banter as opposed to actually discussing the models, it's getting very tedious already in the model thread with the cherry picking of the cold charts, I don't think we need any more annoyance here thank you.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

I thought this thread was for moaning and banter as opposed to actually discussing the models, it's getting very tedious already in the model thread with the cherry picking of the cold charts, I don't think we need any more annoyance here thank you.

Lol that post was moved from the model thread, it is obviously a cold ramp and obviously very boring now.
  • Like 5