Local
Radar
Snow?

The State of British Roads

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Living in Pot hole city Sheffield it's been a problem for many years and isn't getting better. The city has been giving money to fix all the roads but this will fail as the problem simply isn't just old road surfaces.

Two main roads round here have been resurfaced the top layers removed and fully replaced. Both roads are already detoriating. One road the poor quality of the orginal utlity companies wasn't addressed. The end result the new surface is sinking into the old works. It cracks and pot holes are now forming.

The other road isn't suffering from slumping from old roadworks but Yorkshire Water have been and they haven't put the road back properly. These repairs are now sinking as the work hasn't be done properly.

So eventually all the roads in Sheffield hahaha will be redone. I don't belive that as I suspect the council will move the money elsewhere. Anyway the Private company doing it will do the work as cheap as possible so previous weakness in the underlying structure may not be spotted. The new surface will be dug up by Utility companies and a few years perhaps months the surface will sink and crack up.

End result a lot of money wasted.

The underlying reason why roads are so bad is that Utitilty companies don't repair the road surfaces properly. At one time these companies were public they used proper equipment to fill in the holes Councils used to do there own repair work. You used to see proper rollers not some hand pushed roller pushing ashfelt into a hole.

Since any major work has to go out to tender which takes far too long to complete and has to restart if a new council is elected the council is limited to patching and wasting money. Patch a hole and it's normally back the next day as chucking ashfelt into the hole and using the workmans feet to compress it simply won't work. You often see a section of road with 20 or 30 holes but only two get patched.

Sadly privatising has been a massive costly failure.

• Like 4
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 129
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I agree, the roads are abysmal round here too. But I was under the impression the utilities are under obligation to make good any repairs they have made in a certain time frame at their own expense.

Posted

It doesn't seem to be the utilities in this neck of the woods.

There are more than five potholes for every mile of road in the region, according to an AA survey. That's around 65,000 across Devon, Cornwall and Somerset. They've been caused by the flooding and recent cold weather.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/topic/potholes/

Posted

Not to mention how dangerous they are! I cycle a lot. Finding yourself facing the decision to take a hit and ride into the pothole which will at the least damage your bike and at the most throw you off is pretty tough. The alternative of swerving into the road and any traffic that may be driving ridiculously close behind you explains why the bearings on my bikes wheels are knackered and iv'e had 4 punctures in the last month.

The council are finally resurfacing the A64 into Scarborough. It was hardly a good first impression for the town when you were driving in wondering how much damage was been done to your car! The responsibility for this lies solely with the utilities companies who repeatably dig up the road. and patch it up unevenly.

Of course the great British weather plays its part and it's notable how quickly the roads deteriorate after a cold snap. I'm led to believe where the utilities and councils patch up the roads ice forms in the cracks, expands the surface and breaks down the surface resulting in potholes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I agree, the roads are abysmal round here too. But I was under the impression the utilities are under obligation to make good any repairs they have made in a certain time frame at their own expense.

Them 'being under obligation' really amounts to nothing, however: as is the case with all these 'private' wasters of public money, the paper-trail, that allegedly leads to responsibility, is as deliberately opaque as it it ever was...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The council are finally resurfacing the A64 into Scarborough. It was hardly a good first impression for the town when you were driving in wondering how much damage was been done to your car! The responsibility for this lies solely with the utilities companies who repeatably dig up the road. and patch it up unevenly.

The A64 is quite a good road and never has been very bad.

Roads here really started deteriorating when the public Utils and Council had to tender to private companies. We now get daft things like new speed humps put in place in a road which is down to it's clay base either side of the hump.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

We've had a problem with potholes as long as I've driving and that is now over 30 years of both good and bad economic times but as is always the case, money which should be ploughed back into the areas where it was taken from - road tax onto mending roads is squandered in other tasks which cannot and will not ever pay their way.

However IMO what is worryingly different now is the state of our motorways as even these and other high speed roads are starting to break up.

Only last month I noticed a 100mtr stretch of the M66 in Greater Manchester where sections of the top coat had come away in large areas of the first lane, something which could be fatal if hit at motorway speeds.

We get told that economically, times are hard at present but even if our intrepid leaders Cameron and Clegg just used the VAT they get from fuel it would probably solve the problem. Add the full tax taken from it and we could have gold surfaces roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

lhe last few colder than average winters ,sheer volume of traffic,and little maintenance have taken their toll.not forgetting the gas companies who dig the roads up the week after they have been resurfaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

The A64 is quite a good road and never has been very bad.

Roads here really started deteriorating when the public Utils and Council had to tender to private companies. We now get daft things like new speed humps put in place in a road which is down to it's clay base either side of the hump.

Agreed, the A64 isn't that bad, once you're out of the built up areas of Scarborough. I meant the Seamer Road section more specifically, as the main route into Scarborough it gets hammered and as i said there is always one section of the road that's been dug up. It's part of my commute on the bike and it's terrible. Good to see the council finally resurfacing it.

I remember a couple of years ago Scarborough council succeeded in getting a 2 mile section of road in Eastfield, Scarborough resurfaced at the expense of the utilities company that had done a terrible job in replacing the surface they had dug up.

Posted

I can count the number of times I've been in a car in the last year on one hand. I advise everyone else to follow suit as much as possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Some of the potholes up here are on their third birthday, that's what happens when roads are built on boggy land.....Posted Image

Posted

They are like a lunar teenagers face around here too and the council worms out of paying for damage to vehicles by putting it on drivers own insurance as a claim when confronted, it's a disgrace.

Taxi drivers are hit the worst by this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

More holes than Andy Murray's tennis racket...

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

You would have thought that with all the revenue collected from motorists that we should have the best roads in the world - alas we do not because policitians etc consider the motorist to be a milche cow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Sounds to me like part of the problem is doing a half-hearted job of patching the roads up in the first place, thus saving money and effort in the short-term, but creating more problems in the long-term when after a couple of cold winters the roads end up in a similar state to how they were before the potholes were patched up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Absolutely disgraceful here. A small road leading to two schools is deteriorating so fast that cars are having to go around them just to save their suspension. What has happened to this country in the last few years? We have potholes everywhere about 4-5 inches deep, akin to a poor country!

I have to agree with the comments already posted about the state of the road surfaces in this country. The majority of the blame must go to those people allowing utility infrastructure to be placed below the road surface. Once a surface has been compromised by digging it up and patching it, the integrity has been compromised, this will allow frost/snow/heavy rain in and break it up. I drive often in France where their road surfaces (not just on the toll roads) are excellent, they have snow etc. but their utilities are not beneath the road....And more infuriating, the French motorist does not pay road fund licence.

Posted

They are now filling up the potholes with this very weak asphalt material. A deep pothole at the end of my road had been filled in a week ago, half of it is already strewn across the road. Why am I paying £148 a year for this crap?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

They are now filling up the potholes with this very weak asphalt material. A deep pothole at the end of my road had been filled in a week ago, half of it is already strewn across the road. Why am I paying £148 a year for this crap?

Quite simply to encourage a change of behavior.

Governments want us all to live as efficiently as possible so it will cost them less and they can fund crackpot plans so by taxing motorists heavily some end up switching to a train (more efficient but they still rape you for the cost of infrastructure) and some end up moving closer to work. All the while we see some who just stay on the road, bear the cost and fund crackpot plans.

Posted

Quite simply to encourage a change of behavior.

Governments want us all to live as efficiently as possible so it will cost them less and they can fund crackpot plans so by taxing motorists heavily some end up switching to a train (more efficient but they still rape you for the cost of infrastructure) and some end up moving closer to work. All the while we see some who just stay on the road, bear the cost and fund crackpot plans.

Does this government not know that road infastructure is also essential for this economy?

Posted

I heard on the radio last week that 1 in 3 cars on British roads have been into a garage in the last 2 years to have pot hole damage repaired. I have low profile tyres on alloy wheels and with sports suspension I can feel every hairline crack in normal driving, but this Winter has been 10 times worse. I find myself driving like a demented drunk weaving around the road trying to avoid them as I have to, because the cost of two new tyres and two new alloy wheels was going to be £1000 last Winter (I did it with second-hand rims for under £400 in the end). It actually made the wheels oval (checked the run out on a balancing machine) and distorted the carcass of the tyres. Luckily I have a friend who runs his own mobile tyre service and get them at trade price.

If you try to claim off the Council, they ask for proof that it was that actually a specific pot-hole and you have to provide pictures with depths marked etc. (great on a busy road!) then put you into a process that goes on for so long you give up. Basically no one is going to pay for your damage. You can try the process using this guide:

http://potholes.co.uk/claims/step_by_step_guide

But don't hold your breath.

I like others, believe now that vehicle excise duty is just an excuse for the Government to top up the coffers, as very little of it seems to transfer to looking after the appalling state of Britain's roads.

Posted

An old man in his 80's at my checkout once said, "It's like we are slipping into third world territory!"

Coming from a man that had lived through times when Britain used to be Great, I found his comments very sad indeed.

Posted

Roads around here are in pretty good shape. 09/10 and 10/11 winters left them in a right mess but they were patched up fairly quickly and last year long sections were resurfaced. Even on the unclassified back roads potholes don't last long before they are repaired. Still pay too much vehicle and fuel tax though.

Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)

I can gladly inform you..that living in North America the state of the roads are no better here than they are in the UK..In fact the standard of road building and repairs is IMO inferior to the UK!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and Snow

Roads on the Western Isles are in good condition the council actually care about them. Can't say that for where I used to live in Dunoon Southern Scotland roads there are very bad and the council have said for years they will do something about it and they still haven't.

Edited by weathermaster