Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 09/03/13 21z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just had another short lived shower though that one I could hear hitting the window so it was more a mix of hail I think, getting brighter again now with blue sky over head

Posted

Yeah that seems a bit extreme to me -7.4 sounds about right

BBC weather for the week ahead with Helen Willetts

Early this week

Snow and Ice

Gale force winds

Bitterly cold

End of the week

Less cold

Less wintry

Who better to deliver a forecast like that than Helen Willetts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Yeah that seems a bit extreme to me -7.4 sounds about right

BBC weather for the week ahead with Helen Willetts

Early this week

Snow and Ice

Gale force winds

Bitterly cold

End of the week

Less cold

Less wintry

do you think the details of that forecast are 24 hours old the forecast doesnt mention the warning in place for wed n thurs, i suspect the country file forecast tonight might be a bit different

Posted

do you think the details of that forecast are 24 hours old the forecast doesnt mention the warning in place for wed n thurs, i suspect the country file forecast tonight might be a bit different

That broadcast was done at 12:20 and the warnings were Issued at 11:54 so its possible that was either pre recorded or she didn't get the warnings through in time my guess is it was pre recorded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
no sign of any significant snow in the next few hours. If you catch a shower it will be shortlived.

Posted

no sign of any significant snow in the next few hours. If you catch a shower it will be shortlived.

Yeah that sums it up nicely tbh the last shower here lasted 10 minutes max after dark will be the best chance if these showers merge into longer bands of snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

all them showers in the north sea suddenly reduced in intensity

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I should be home by around half five, the North Sea will surely fire up then!

Posted

Not much in the north sea at the moment its going to be after dark before we have a chance of seeing some longer spells of snow but even then nothing is guaranteed. Northern France look the place to be tonight for sustained snow else where we are going to have to re-lie on showers coming off the north sea and merging into longer spells of snow

@boro snow have you got any running cold water? mine has gone off

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Not much in the north sea at the moment its going to be after dark before we have a chance of seeing some longer spells of snow but even then nothing is guaranteed. Northern France look the place to be tonight for sustained snow else where we are going to have to re-lie on showers coming off the north sea and merging into longer spells of snow

@boro snow have you got any running cold water? mine has gone off

just checked and mine seems ok, what area of darlo are you in

Posted

just checked and mine seems ok, what area of darlo are you in

Eastbourne just checked with the neighbors and theirs is off as well gonna phone Northumbrian Water

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Eastbourne just checked with the neighbors and theirs is off as well

ive texted my mate who lives on brighton road and see if there water has gone off and it has

Posted

ive texted my mate who lives on brighton road and see if there water has gone off and it has

Thanks there must be a major problem in the area somewhere

Just phoned them auto response there is a problem and there working to fix it

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Thanks there must be a major problem in the area somewhere

Just phoned them auto response there is a problem and there working to fix it

yep its a major problem its affecting redhall all mcmullen road eastbourne skerne park, just been to lidl and everybody is panic buying packs of water

looking at the radar the good stuff developing out to sea is heading to north yorkshire

Posted

This is the one problem with easterlies, you can either be in a "stream" of more potent showers or not and at the moment, this region is not hence the showers around our region not being particularly widespread whilst they are in Eastern Scotland Lincolnshire, I suppose its a little bit of a waiting game. This is one reason why I prefer Northerlies, much more even in terms of snowfall distribution.

The good news is that the dew points are now much lower so as we head into this evening, any snowfall should start settling without too much melt. I still expect a covering but how much snow will fall will all depends how mother nature plays out regarding the snow showers. You can't say convection is fully there at the moment but it would appear it might improve slightly tonight.

Posted

yep its a major problem its affecting redhall all mcmullen road eastbourne skerne park, just been to lidl and everybody is panic buying packs of water

looking at the radar the good stuff developing out to sea is heading to north yorkshire

Thanks northumbria water aren't very quick in updating there website it still says no issues in your area

Posted

Radar doesn't look good for us - we're in a lull, which was what the NAE forecast: lots of convection to our N and lots to our S but little here... anyone any idea whether we can expect it to pep up over our region this evening?

Posted

Surely the conditions in Eastern Scotland are going to move south with the sinking high? Had a fair few showers today, the one this morning left a covering but quickly melted in the sun, showers since haven't been enough to lie but have been heavy and often accompanied by gusty winds making it 'blizzardy' at times. Nice day of sunshine and snow showers, and more to come I expect :)

Posted

from a high of 3.2 the temp is going down currently 1.9c dew point is -9.6

Posted

Thanks northumbria water aren't very quick in updating there website it still says no issues in your area

Darlington: Entrance to Skerne Park there has been a burst main, as a result Arriva Darlington Service terminates at parkside. just got that info from incidents teesside

Posted

Only a light covering on grassy surfaces here at the moment,however any thing else that was melting

has now frozen up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Drove through a cracking snow shower near Penrith, only a slight covering by the roadside though.

Posted

Darlington: Entrance to Skerne Park there has been a burst main, as a result Arriva Darlington Service terminates at parkside. just got that info from incidents teesside

Yes northumbria water have just tweeted that there is a burst water main at Skerne Park water is been moved around the water network to restore supplies to the affected areas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

According to the Met Office satellite images there's quite a pronounced slot of relatively dry conditions heading for the Tyne and Wear area, which stretches a long way out into the North Sea, but it appears to be being squeezed out from the north, so chances are that late this evening and overnight the showery activity will pep up.