Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 09/03/13 21z---->

A.J

Posted

Massive snow shower going on here. Everything is white and cars are starting to struggle to get up the hill outside.

Posted

Massive snow shower going on here. Everything is white and cars are starting to struggle to get up the hill outside.

Same here,tremendous snow shower!

Posted

belting down.

Love to see the snow blowing up my street, rather than down it, reminds me this is coming from a very cold direction!

Snap lol.

temps dropping like a stone now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Nothing significant here in darlo non of it is sticking just stopped again now

Eastern Scotland looks like its getting pasted by the radar

Posted

Latest snow warning from the met office

Issued at: 11:21 on Sunday 10th March 2013

Valid from: 16:00 on Sunday 10th March 2013

Valid to: 10:00 on Monday 11th March 2013

Snow showers will affect many eastern parts of the UK during Sunday evening and overnight into Monday, the showers moving well inland on strong northeasterly winds. Accumulations of snow will be very variable, as the showers are expected to become aligned into bands, with some places seeing 2-5 cm of snow and possibly as much as 10 cm in a few places in eastern Scotland and northeast England by Monday morning. Lying snow will drift in the fresh to strong north-easterly winds. Ice will be an additional hazard, particularly in Scotland and northeast England where there has been melting between showers during Sunday.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Very cold air will have spread westwards across most parts of the UK by late Sunday, with showers falling mainly as snow. The heaviest snow showers are likely in the northeast, with some moderate falls of snow occurring during Sunday night where these showers become banded.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1362960000

Posted
  • Location: Jesmond, Newcastle Upon Tyne; 60m asl; and Beadnell, Northumberland 4m asl.
  • Location: Jesmond, Newcastle Upon Tyne; 60m asl; and Beadnell, Northumberland 4m asl.

Just driven from Lanchester back to Newcastle. Very heavy snow, Maiden Law Bank out of Lanchester very tricky. Hills to west of Consett white.

Posted

Early warning for Wednesday and into Thursday issued

Issued at:

1154 on Sun 10 Mar 2013

Valid from:

0005 on Wed 13 Mar 2013

Valid to:

1400 on Thu 14 Mar 2013

Snow showers will affect parts of the eastern side of England from early Wednesday through until Thursday afternoon. Accumulations of snow will be rather variable at lower levels and often temporary in nature on roads during daylight hours. Meanwhile, over higher ground accumulations will be higher with locally several centimetres of snow possible. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption, especially to travel.

Areas covered by this warning: Northumberland, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland

Posted

Also yellow warning out already for wednesday/thursday as a cold front spreads in from the North-East.

Met Office: North East England: severe weather warnings

beaten to it by Gavin,lol.^^^^

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Its difficult to predict what will happen from the 4 hour playback on the radar as some showers are fading whilst others are forming as they are heading towards land. I still think after 6pm is when the frequency will increase as backed by the gfs precipitation chart.

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted

The cloud is starting to thin here now I can see a bit of blue sky its not as dull as it was before either

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Had a pretty decent snow shower(s) earlier but variable amounts of cloud now and no settling snow.

Looking forward to the predicted snow tonight and mid-week!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Cheers for all the advice fellow snow lovers, I am popping back to snowy Dipton for my birthday on Wednesday and quite often have falling snow around that time so good to know there will be some of the white stuff this week. The hot sunny weather gets a bit boring out here in Spain where I moved to last April.

Let it snow, let it snow ... clapping.gif

Posted

Dry, sunny but a bitter wind here in Darlo the wind is the main feature here so far rather than the snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Dry, sunny but a bitter wind here in Darlo the wind is the main feature here so far rather than the snow

i think that will change in the next few hours looking at the radar, was down at south park earlier and by god the wind was cold

Posted

most of lying snow has now melted here, have had 2 or 3 snow flurries so far today. light/moderate snow now falling

13.41 stopped now, sun shining, quite a few showers showing in North sea, would expect most places in the east to get some sort of covering overnight

Edited by gazzac69

Posted

Frequent mostly light snow flurries here in the central lakes. We had a short lived hail shower about an hour ago as well. The snowline is about 300m generally, lower on the eastern fells. It certainly feels bitterly cold.

We might catch one or two heavier snow showers later today and tomorrow but not expecting a cover. My interest lies in the trough projected to move across the region later Tuesday - it could deliver more widespread light snow, and also on Thursday from the warm front as it moves into the cold air - though it could quite marginal for snow on low ground.

Certainly a wintry outlook.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
Posted · Hidden by Boro Snow, March 10, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Boro Snow, March 10, 2013 - No reason given

can that dew point be right its currently -7.4

Posted

i think that will change in the next few hours looking at the radar, was down at south park earlier and by god the wind was cold

Yeah it won't last infact its clouding in now

can that dew point be right its currently -7.4

Dunno I was think that its seems almighty low but Newton Aycliffe is reporting -7.2°C and the Darlo one is -7.4 as you say so it must be right

Posted

Yeah it won't last infact its clouding in now

Dunno I was think that its seems almighty low but Newton Aycliffe is reporting -7.2°C and the Darlo one is -7.4 as you say so it must be right

looking at the pierremont thats -8.7

Posted

looking at the pierremont thats -8.7

Yeah that seems a bit extreme to me -7.4 sounds about right

BBC weather for the week ahead with Helen Willetts

Early this week

Snow and Ice

Gale force winds

Bitterly cold

End of the week

Less cold

Less wintry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Just had another fantastic heavy snow shower.

I get the feelng that if these continue after sunset we are going to get a reasonable fall to wake up to tomorrow morning.

Plus I need Alza back home to enjoy it clapping.gif