Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Netweather is 10 years old!

Paul

Posted

Congratulations on 10 great Net weather years.

Another disenchanted expatriate from BBC Slow-watch... net weather restored faith on how enjoyable a well run and moderated forum board can be. I never did get to the bottom of Bill Farkin and his Grebes, and I do believe at some point over the last 10 years.. Carlisle did actually have snowfall.

Well done to the Net weather team, here's to the next decade.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Well done Paul and the team. A wonderful site and I would not be without it!

Here is to ten more years :)

Posted

Thanks for everything. I don't even know how I stumbled across netweather, but I think I was member 500 or something. Back in the days of dial-up from home. For an amateur, who nearly became a Meteorologist, but went into seismic exploration instead it has maintained my hobby and enthusiasm!!! Here is to the next 10 years of the crème de la crème. And you don't sell stories to the Daily Express! Viva netweather!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well done Paul and the Netweather team for a fantastic 10years you have been a real asset to my farm and you have also helped a grumpy old farmer become much more internet savvy due to my interest in the weather.

• 5 months later...
Posted

Oh dear..where has the time gone I remember when there were only 50 of us on here. GREAT site And GREAT people. couldnt ask for more.

Kaz x

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I joined up on day 1 but didn't post anything for a long time as I clung to the decaying corpse of the BBC's 'Snow Watch'. As more and more respected posters abandoned activity on that site in favour of this one I decided I'd join them and then wished I'd done it much earlier.The expansion of the site reminds me of living in a small village which, over the years, gradually becomes larger. Eventually a point is reached where there are some many inhabitants you can't hope to 'know' them all but the core of old timers, plus a number of newcomers you eventually become familiar with, ensure that the sense of identity remains.The best Met' site on the net as far as I'm concerned and always my first port of call after turning on the p.c.

Was snow watch the first one of these type of websites and when was it launched?

• 3 months later...
Posted

I remember that retro Net-Weather homepage well - I've been here (although inactive in discussions in recent years) for quite a while and you've definitely done a sterling job to get NW to where it's at today.

I remember migrating here from the old BBC boards and loved every moment of being a member on here in the past.

Edit: just noticed I've been a member for 10 years - bloody hell. I was probably around 15 when I was first on Netweather. Where has the time gone?!

Edited by Snow_Fan_Man

Posted

Was snow watch the first one of these type of websites and when was it launched?

sort of, yes. BBC forum was good for weather chat. but it was not moderated very well and got out of hand quite frequently. i joined NW  after a while as i couldnt stand the unmoderated snow watch. have to admit i wasnt sure NW was a proper forum when it started. was early days for forums and i just wasnt sure it was a genuine site. (my own paranoia about internet) but seen so many snow watch members go over to NW i decided to move too.

what a great choice i made!!!! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I've been a member since May 2012 and it's been so educational and fun. I've met some lovely people and had a damn good time.

Best social site I've ever been on and such friendly, helpful people.

Congratulations. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

sort of, yes. BBC forum was good for weather chat. but it was not moderated very well and got out of hand quite frequently. i joined NW  after a while as i couldnt stand the unmoderated snow watch. have to admit i wasnt sure NW was a proper forum when it started. was early days for forums and i just wasnt sure it was a genuine site. (my own paranoia about internet) but seen so many snow watch members go over to NW i decided to move too.

what a great choice i made!!!! Posted Image

It was the likes of "Nick Sussex" and "Atmos Ferric" on the BBC board that got me into model watching and then I came here to waste hours of my life!  I also still remember "Dave Allen" and "Bill Farkin"  - no comment about those two.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

It was the likes of "Nick Sussex" and "Atmos Ferric" on the BBC board that got me into model watching and then I came here to waste hours of my life!  I also still remember "Dave Allen" and "Bill Farkin"  - no comment about those two.

Was that farkin predicting the last throws of Winter with his mid-Jan cut-off due to his flocking "Grebes" sumthin or other?

I recall Steve M`s great videos that raised hopes in the Bartlett days Posted Image

Edited by mezzacyclone