Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Netweather is 10 years old!

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Congrats!

Been here since November and still loving it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Thanks to Netweather I have met some great people just before Christmas 2012, really hoping to meet up with more of the Netweather gang soon!

Posted

Happy birthday & most of all thank you. Like most I discovered the site through the old snow watch & have been around for about 9 years. I couldn't believe the excitement when I first found out that weather models existed! Now I wish they didn't half the time. Here's to the next 10.

Posted

post-2-0-99612100-1361805717_thumb.png

Scarily, 10 years ago today, armed with a free bit of software from the front of a pc magazine I started Netweather (or as it was then Net-Weather). Initially it was just a small hobby site with a few pages and a forum, but it quite quickly grew and as of today we see over 1 million people using the site a month!

Obviously a lot of people have played their part over the last 10 years, all of our forum team past and present have put in countless hours to keep things running smoothly on here, the forecast team have kept the site regularly updated with alerts and forecasts, Karl joined the team back in 2005 and is still with us working on the development side of things. Ian (my brother) invested as things began to take off in order to help us buy some kit, and is now with us full time too. There are too many people to individually thank, but to all our team members, community members and site users, I sincerely thank you all for your efforts, posts, enthusiasm and help with word of mouth over the years .

Over the coming weeks and months we're going to be holding events and running features to mark 10 years, looking back and forward in terms of what's to come. so stay tuned for that - I even have all the code for an early version of the site here which I may try to get uploaded as 'live' for a bit of retro fun.

For now though, I'm off to the pub for a celebratory drink Posted Image

Paul

An early version of netweather:

post-2-0-65287800-1361805726_thumb.png

Brilliant success story well done to all involved.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Posted Image to the next 10+.

I've been here 5 years now and I don't know what I'd be doing without it. Everyday is a learning curve, a roller coaster of output, a friendly (unless you steal someones snow) community and I will be here until either I kick the bucket or (god forbid) the site runs out of service.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Congratulations Paul! Thanks to everyone involved in keeping running such an incredible weather site, thankyou to the forecasters, and to the posters for such variety!! I have enjoyed reading the forum over the years , when i joined up a whole new experience opened up, i have learnt so much more about the weather on here, and learning something new every time i'm on here.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Well done Paul

I've been a member for nearly 8 years. Your site is so successful as everyone on here is treated with respect. No one laughs at the stupid questions.

I live in the South East thread and the friendship and community spirit thrive in there.

Thank you for a fab site

Posted

Well done Paul, & Paul & Ian & so it goes on, to all those that support this site, including the mods who also are key to the day to day running of this great place on weather.

Would somebody please tell the Sherminator, there's no weather on the moon, I think he has it in mind to go chasing there!

Well done for the double digit birthday event, here's to the future (as long as it's not all FB based!)

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

I too would like to congratulate all involved with Netweather reaching its decade milestone. I have been on board since 2008 and although I dont post as much or understand the weather as much as some peeps I throughly enjoy using the site and have subscribed to the Radar for most of my time here! Good luck with all future projects! I may even be able to afford a storm chase one day!

Posted

Many congratulations to Paul and all the Netweather team. I stumbled across Netweather back in 2005 looking for a weather forecast for my wedding day! I enjoy reading the forums and all the banter and I might have learned some skills along the way!

Netweather is also responsible for enabling me to go on a trip of a lifetime storm chasing back in 2009. Those fantastic memories will stay with me forever and I will be eternally grateful for the opportunity given to me.

Keep up the good work and here's to the next 10 years!

Aunt Sally

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold winters, anything extreme

Congratulations Netweather, this is a fantastic site for catching up on the latest weather. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It really is an absolutely brilliant site, part of me wishes i would have discovered it when it came out (i did not even find out that you could view model output online until after feb 09), on the other hand though i probably would have had some big disappointments as pre 09, winters were very poor!

Keep up the good work and thanks.

Posted

Amazing to think the site is now 10 years old, time has flown by!!

My own little bit of legacy would probably have to be the creation of the hurricane forum, which has had some pretty amazing moments in the last 5 years or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I joined up on day 1 but didn't post anything for a long time as I clung to the decaying corpse of the BBC's 'Snow Watch'. As more and more respected posters abandoned activity on that site in favour of this one I decided I'd join them and then wished I'd done it much earlier.

The expansion of the site reminds me of living in a small village which, over the years, gradually becomes larger. Eventually a point is reached where there are some many inhabitants you can't hope to 'know' them all but the core of old timers, plus a number of newcomers you eventually become familiar with, ensure that the sense of identity remains.

The best Met' site on the net as far as I'm concerned and always my first port of call after turning on the p.c.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

10 years is very impressive, it seems like only yesterday it was getting set up.

I remember being particularly surprised by how many people were joining up so quickly! the site grew so fast it was unbelievable!

I'm pretty proud to have been here from the start, obviously things took over which means I couldn't be on here as much, but they were the days, definitely.. and it continues!

My own personal story of how I came to be here is quite interesting.. I don't know whether you remember something called 'cellweather' Paul..? The rest is history of course!

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Wow what an achievement. Congratulations and well done to all involved :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Well done guys, been a member since 2005. Or 7 years 10 months to be more specific !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Well that was a quick 10 years!

Congrats Paul but I don't think i'm 10 years wiser? :D

I just wish "mr crazysnowfanzman" posted a praise lol

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Well done Paul and congratulations.Posted Image

Having had a great interest in the weather since a boy, most of my knowledge came from books and listening to the BBC weather forecasts. This was the case until one winter day back in 2002 or 2003, a BBC forecaster mentioned that the BBC snow-watch forum on the internet was buzzing. Very intrigued I looked at the site and was amazed by some of the posts by well-informed amateurs, not only that, they were discussing weather model outputs, wow I thought, I joined immediately and made my first post. I was hooked and so keen to learn much more.

Unfortunately the site was attacked by trolls and without moderation it deteriorated rapidly over a few months, one or two posters talked of a new and very good weather site ‘Net-weather’ I had a look round, there were many new faces, I soon discovered quite a few of the snow-watch posters had already made the transition to Net-weather, Obviously I joined immediately, that was back in winter 2004. I found Net-weather to be a brilliant weather site. After joining my interest deepened further and began tentatively reading the models, and with the help of the great posters on here I learned so very much more.

Since 2004 Netweather.tv has grown massively and has gone from strength to strength, again congratulations Paul

I continue to learn today with the same enthusiasm.

• Like 3