Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

March 2006

Zerouali lives

Posted

With the charts hinting at a Northerly for later next week, March 2006 illustrated that winter still has plenty snow potential even at this time of year.

The cold actually arrived during the last days of February and persisted for the first week of March.

An epic snow event here in Aberdeen that produced around a foot of snow; even in modest low lying areas around the city centre. Heavy, prolonged snow showers were the order of the day.

A strong High over Greenland (1055mB) ridging south kept the block intact

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I was in Leeds back then, and trough activity combined with the relatively strong early-March sun brought some moderate snow showers on the 3rd, which provided accumulations near the city centre that evening. I had some good snowball fights that evening around the university, and Hyde Park looked very picturesque in the snow and bright sunshine the next morning. As there was only about a couple of centimetres, though, most of it disappeared in the sun during the afternoon of the 4th.

Due to the relatively strong early-March sun, a scattering of snow showers developed inland on each day of the spell, though Leeds missed most of them on the other days. I remember reports of lying snow in some low-lying parts of SW England on the 1st when the wind backed to more of a north-westerly.

Sunshine was well above average in most parts of the country during the first week of March 2006 thanks to the clear northerlies, but the rest of the month was often cloudy due to easterly winds and then a mild and moist last week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Had some heavy snow showers here on the 28th but the snow didnt settle. Did get a spell of snow for an hr or two about three days later but that only gave a small accumulation on the grass. For me

the main thing i remember about that spell was the severe frosts. The night time temps here were the coldest of that season during that spell. Temps fell to -2c by around 8pm i remember

on a few nights in a row which is very rare for my location for that time of night and especially the time of yr.

• Like 2

Posted

I remember the 2nd of March, woke up to a 4 inch covering first thing after a Cheshire Gap streamer brought snow showers all night, this then thawed through the day under the strong March sun until an almighty beast of a snow shower settled in around 3pm and lasted almost an hour giving some of the heaviest snow ive ever seen.

The 1st and following few days also gave morning coverings of snow but again the generally sunny days melted much of it, then of course the 11/12th March snow event came in which whilst not as snowy as the 2004 event of the same day here was still a very decent one, especially just west of here towards Shrewsbury.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Interesting month it was..

Around the 3rd (going by TWS dates) there was a surprise occlusion because two troughs and formed in the Irish and North seas and the precipitation had joined into a small but intense band which moved south over most of the country. We then had 6cm on the 12th (Glasgow got upwards of 9 inches) and then freezing rain and snow on the 14th. The last week was one of the wettest i can remember, low to the south west with multiple shortwaves.

• Like 1

Posted

March 2006 was certainly a wintry month in the main and was on course to be one of the coldest of the 20th century scuppered by a very mild final week. I remember the northerly at the beginning, it delivered a number of heavy snow showers to NE England. The northerlies were replaced by a lengthy generally cold cloudy spell thanks to high pressure over Scandanavia. The NW was hit by a classic slow moving frontal feature on the 11th/12th producing heavy snow as the colder continental air undercut it - Cumbria, SW Scotland and Glasgow areas saw well over 6 inches.

The period 14th-22nd was particularly cold and raw and dull.

March 2006 was very similiar in feel to March 1996 and to a certain extent 2001.

March 95 and 08 also produced notable arctic blasts and copious snow. However, the last 4 March's have by in large been preety benign with anticyclonic or quiet atlantic Westerly/southwesterly spells dominating.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

2006 had a cold spring in these parts, april cold also, i picked my friend up from man airport on 3rd april to temp of -4 a bit of a shock for him from sydney.it was cold till end of april and may and june seemed cool until the hot july.most march's in the 80s were quite wintery compared to the last 15 years

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I remember that well, Mr D - I told my work colleagues (in Inverness) that it wouldn't settle...It did!Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I remember It well.The extended winter November to april in 2005/2006 had almost as many air frosts as 2009/2010 here .54 and 58 respectively.

I picked my friend up from Manchester airport from his flight from Australia on april 3rd[i think] and he was in shock as it was -4 deg