Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club (NSC) 2014 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

All I can  say with absolute certainty is that we will not get a thunderstorm here at all, and I will check back here to verify that on Saturday or Sunday.

I AM WITH YOU ON that one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

yip looking like that timing is wrong againheavy morning rain then a bit and cooler fresher as it passes, is my forecast,  then watch the usual areas have fun with fireworks thunderstorms unpredictable, nah, you can write the script cant you

lol I remember a time when storms used to funnel up through Cheshire into the rest of N England. Not anymore! I'm sure things used to be more direct S-N rather than all this veering E malarky.

Posted

yip looking like that

timing is wrong again

heavy morning rain then a bit and cooler fresher as it passes, is my forecast,  then watch the usual areas have fun with fireworks

thunderstorms unpredictable, nah, you can write the script cant you

pathetic so far,  the front is passing now with moderate rain, not even that heavy

thunderstorms ARE predictable here 

so then more or less as I predicted above,  but with two  faint distant rumbles as some sort of joke consulation gesture

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Electrical Activity is dropping everywhere, I don't know why some people are saying that development has hardly begun; because it has and is due to end in about 2 hours for most of us. The BBC forecasted the storms incorrectly this morning stating that there would be thunder, all I see is rain.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I have only seen the Media hype it up, All professional forecast have been spot on so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

They can keep their thundery rain now, I have this back.. :laugh:;)

post-15177-0-41879700-1402135634_thumb.j

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Only bog standard moderate rain here a bit disappointing so far today but the day is still young! :D

I WANT SOME STORMS!!!!!  

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Very disappointing in all..... nearly as bad as the Great 'puff of wind' on St Judes last year. Moderate rain and 1 distant CC lightning flash.

Posted

Well not really because the North West of England was forecasted to have several decent thunderstorms today, and the only places that have them are the usual - the south and east.

I think perhaps your version of what the forecaster on BBC tv, both yesterday and this morning both showed and spoke, are somewhat different to what I inferred from probably the same forecasts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I got nothing but rain, and now just murky murk murk.  :aggressive:

Disappointed! 

Posted

Well not really because the North West of England was forecasted to have several decent thunderstorms today, and the only places that have them are the usual - the south and east.

I told you this would happen the other day 

although its disappointing, its not really surprising

like I have said, whoever says thunder unpredictable in the uk ,  has got to taking the.......... 

actually though I was surprised I heard two distant farts of thunder, that must of been such an effort to let rip by the NW weather gods,    they have used all their thunder puff now and are exhuasted, until next year perhaps,  or october lol

Edited by IanR

Posted

I told you this would happen the other day  although its disappointing, its not really surprising like I have said, whoever says thunder unpredictable in the uk ,  has got to taking the..........

I can't go along with that. That is the cynics and never possessed response.I think thunderstorm prediction is tricky.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

The 8000+ strikes today must have hit somewhere.....

• Like 1

Posted

I can't go along with that. That is the cynics and never possessed response.I think thunderstorm prediction is tricky.

seen it too many times in recent years, nearly every forcast that mentions thunder in my area I say 'not happening' , I am always right 99%, so its not a tricky for my location, overall I can agree with you about it being tricky to pinpiont exactly in the east the storms will be

I was right about today too, apart from two faint rumbles, which I didnt expect (theres the 1% error)  

Posted

totally agree John....I know this is the NSC thread, but frankly some of the posts in here are an absolute joke

which ones , they all ring true to me

Posted

not tricky

VERY tricky, getting it right in general terms is relatively easy but for one location probably worse than predicting snow more than a couple of hours ahead. Why folk cannot use the radar avaliable on Net Wx, add on the winds at the various heights, look at the lightning reports and how they move/change with time. Then use this to get a pretty good idea of what may happen 2-3 hours ahead. Why folk don't do this rather than moan about it has not in my back garden yah boo is beyond me, much as the moans about snow.

Predicting rainfall is, keep a record of the different models, from T+72 hours out and see how often it is correct for your area, bet you get a surprise! Predicting max T is easy compared to what may fall out of the sky. Believe me, spent years doing it and have many marks to prove it!#

hopefully this is looked on by admin/mods as a constructive input into here!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Anyone in here should move to Lincolnshire or near the wash. You will not be disappointed that's for sure!

Posted

the posts which sound like they've been written by stroppy teenagers who can't get their own way!

:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Sorry but when you put up hyped up stuff people have a right to get peed off. This is the NSC after all.

The 8000+ strikes today must have hit somewhere.....

NOT IN THIS BLOODY VICINITY..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I don't think people in the SE got hit as well as people Oop north seem to think. Most of us got some rain and a rumble.

Posted

the lightning map proves to those that live in storm free zones like wigan and sheffield that they have some right to moan about how thunder  seems to do its best to avoid these areas

as for 8000+ strikes, seems a lot, but not that much for this ,one the most hyped 'widespead thundery' plumes ever 

I blame the express for its lack of severity, they always jinx  teehee

• Like 1

Posted

But looking at a forecast literally 1 hour before a thunderstorm was forecasted to hit and then the rain falling as generally moderate rain with no considerable thunder is a bit rediculous really. If I was annoyed about Wednesday's or Thursday's forecast for today, then you could definately say I'm foolish, but not when I last checked an hour before it was due.

sorry to go on, but why not follow the idea my post suggested?

Posted

I am aware of the title of the thread. However, why not use some common sense some of you. Read the excellent tutorial from Nick F on what to look for. Even the post I made should provide some guidance on what to do, how and why.

Take a look at the thunderstorm maps which the Met O provide. If you live in an area with less stroms than another area, think why that is, topography, situation of the land etc around you, read up about it. Then you may understand the reasons why storms seem to have preferred tracks. Meteorology is a fascinating science with a degree of art in it, the art of being able to interpret eithe the charts available or computer models to get the most enyoyment  from it.

Not digging particularly at anyone but just why some folk, bei it storms, severe cold, snow or whatever spend so much time moaning about 'not in my back garden' is beyond me.

I live close to Doncaster, one might almost call it the snowless capital of England. But then, look at where it is, height, position just west of the Peak. It does then explain to a great degree why so little snow so teaches one not to expect much. But then the unexpected happens. 30 Nov-1 Dec 2010 and 35cm fell in less than 12 hours. Not too dofferent re storms, again geography explains a fair amount of it.

enjoy the weather wherever you live, make the most of the unexpected.

sorry folks I will b----- off and leave you alone.

• Like 3

Posted

I wasn't really looking at the TV forecasts, I used the hourly on the website. Even I did interpret it different to you, it doesn't matter now because one didn't happen either way you look at it. So that's my rant over now.

even worse, and no fault of Net Wx, the hourly forecasts are simply computer generated. It was becoming obvious by the time you posted that the model issued data from 00z had not really got the forecast spot on by any means. Thus the only sensible way to find out what was going to happen was the use of the radar as I suggested.

If you would like to I am more than happy to chat via pm to help you, I am always available for this with anyone.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Electrical Activity is dropping everywhere, I don't know why some people are saying that development has hardly begun; because it has and is due to end in about 2 hours for most of us. The BBC forecasted the storms incorrectly this morning stating that there would be thunder, all I see is rain.

There were plenty of sferics and heavy downpours in the Stratford area this morning, particularly just west so hardly incorrect.