Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club (NSC) 2014 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Sigh.......And so it goes...and so it goes....etc

After a complete non-event last week (owing to what appears to be a secret microclimate and shield here,) I was clipped early this morning both north and south by the cells in the SE. This amounted to an "exciting" half a dozen rumbles/1min torrential rain  per cell;  one flash of "benign-bestowed"  lightning from the north  .........and meant getting up far earlier than I'd planned!

To cap it all we have had a rainbow to the SE from here.....yes a blinkin' rainbow ...here tonight with nowt in terms of rain/clouds etc. Sheeeesh! Talk about adding insult to injury Posted Image

I guess this means I'm still in NSC?........

Newbie here politely requesting details on  the eligibility...or maybe that should be escape ..... NSC criteria?

Edited by PiggiePalace

Posted

Further to the above post.........Have committed the most unpardonable crime of going to bed before midnight and apparently sleeping through our first storm this summer.......Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image 

Blimey that pinot grigio has a lot to answer for!

Posted

Finally I'm out. Hope I don't owe any rent, I have been here since August 2011. And it was one plucky little cell that broke the Shrewsbury shield after all those multicellular couldn't'. Hope everyone else is out soon Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Finally I'm out. Hope I don't owe any rent, I have been here since August 2011. And it was one plucky little cell that broke the Shrewsbury shield after all those multicellular couldn't'. Hope everyone else is out soon Posted Image

I'll still be here at the start of next season no doubt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

To be frank, I think I'll depart myself from here as I am that desperate. I think the several overhead cracks and flashes back in July is enough to qualify as a storm, it lasted for around 10 minutes.

Here it is:

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

I would like to cancel my membership, quite a lot of thunder early yesterday evening and a few flashes of lightning around 6-7pm.

This is not connected to the heavy rain around 10-12pm yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Worst thing about this club you cancel your membership early then watch all the storms glide around you for the rest of the year.

Posted

Newbie here politely requesting details on  the eligibility...or maybe that should be escape ..... NSC criteria?

I can answer that for you PiggiePalace, although we get this question every year. So now, a nice couple of video examples taken in fact on Monday 29th July 2013. (And taken by moi here in Solihull! Posted Image )

Overhead storm. That gets you out of the NSC in an instant PROVIDED it is more than just one flash and rumble. Even if intracloud lightning.

This next one will keep you locked in here (muwuhaahaaaah!!) because as myself and my lovely boss Jane agrees, the storm needs to be near enough for visible lightning and audible thunder. This one had audible thunder but too far away to count as an actual nearby/near overhead storm. 

I only wish it were dark at the time. I'm sure this one would have made for some impressive night storm viewing.

Hope this finally clears the T&C of leaving, or indeed remaining in the NSC. :-)

• Like 2

Posted

Hi well we had a few flashes a few weeks back but only heard the thunder so I guess I am kinda half in half out Posted Image Me nephew see the lightning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I've totally given up! Summer is nearly over now and not one bang or flash. It's been another silly year here with no thunderstorms!

Posted

Thanks for the clarification Phil UK. Just one more question ....what if you slept through the storm and weren't aware of it? Posted Image
Will I still be allowed to leave NSC?

Posted

Not a problem PiggiePalace. Posted Image

Now, as for sleeping through night time storms. Unless you have a friend or neighbour nearby who can verify that a storm had occured overnight then that is your ticket out of here.

It happened to me in May 2005 when I slept through an elevated storm about 2 or 3 miles away from me. My Brother and friend said to me the day after, those dreaded words... "Did you see and hear that storm last night?" I had to say no as I was grabbing my Zzzzz's.  

Although my Brother could have woke me up to let me know. The git!! Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Summer 2013 is down there with the absolute worst for storm activity for me. 9 days left of meterological summer left and I have heard 2 yes TWO rumbles of thunder all damn summer!!!! No lightning seen at all.

What a load of rubbish!

• Like 2

Posted

I have had little more than two rumbles , and seen the odd bit of fork lightning after chasing weak storms, but I must admit this is the least thundery year for me too, Today I saw and heard nothing, a few years ago I am sure a day with the same conditions as this would have produced more widespread and more active thunder showers, some on here say nothing has changed, Well,  I am having non of that, something HAS changed, I don't expect next year to be much or any better, can it get any worse,,, oh it can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

If I wasn't out back then, I am 100% out now. I couldn't have asked for a better storm.

Summer 2013 is down there with the absolute worst for storm activity for me. 9 days left of meterological summer left and I have heard 2 yes TWO rumbles of thunder all damn summer!!!! No lightning seen at all.

What a load of rubbish!

Yes very tedious summer for exciting weather even mild winters provide more excitement at least with gales and heavy rain even HP offers more variety in winter.

I really miss those Polar Maritime NW'lys, at least they offer some convection in Spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think you'd probably end up revising that assessment if we were to have another winter like 1988/89- away from the north and west of Scotland that winter was pretty non-eventful prior to mid-February, with a lot of mild, dry and quiet weather, fairly cloudy away from the east coast during December but then mainly sunny away from the west coast during January and early February.  The Bartlett/Euro high kept deflecting frontal systems and polar maritime incursions away to the north-west of the country, which resulted in NW Scotland ending up very wet, in contrast to the rest of the country.  Mid to late-February 1989 was eventful in most regions, generally wet, windy and sunny with some short-lived snowfalls in the last week, but a couple of weeks out of a whole 13-week winter isn't much!

I think this summer has been one of two halves for thundery activity- very little until 23 July and then a lot since then- but there has been considerable regional variation and for some regions there's been little throughout the summer.

Posted

Well...I think it is safe for me to say that I can call Summer 2013 the biggest dud of all time in terms of thundery activity....an utter dud. A pathetic 2 rumbles of thunder heard throughout the entire summer.

I thought the last few summers were dire but this one has turned out to be the absolute worst.

Good riddance....maybe next year...sigh! More than likely not though!

• Like 2

Posted

Something to watch while we wait:

whats even more annoying carl is the comments at the end of this film that was posted on the main thread,  the so called experts are/were  harping on about how global warming is making lightning more likely for the uk ,  err no,

Will someone tell these idiots  its about time they shut up about it,  its been getting less and less as last few years have gone by especially in the west of England, and I have a gut feeling it wont get any better .....were they not around a couple of decades ago, there were far more storms around here then, and thats without any doubt whatsoever

• Like 1

Posted

whats even more annoying carl is the comments at the end of this film that was posted on the main thread,  the so called experts are/were  harping on about how global warming is making lightning more likely for the uk ,  err no,

Will someone tell these idiots  its about time they shut up about it,  its been getting less and less as last few years have gone by especially in the west of England, and I have a gut feeling it wont get any better .....were they not around a couple of decades ago, there were far more storms around here then, and thats without any doubt whatsoever

These so called experts are talking out of their collective ringpieces, and will continue to do so as long as there are people who are gullible enough to swallow the crap that emanates from said "experts".

Storms have become a notable rarity in recent years...never mind only hearing 2 rumbles this year...I havent witnessed a night storm for 5 years now, a phenomenon which used to be a relatively common occurance.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

What a crap year!! Oh well, there's always next year!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Yep Jane I must admit I'm extremely disappointed this year as I missed the storms in early August, so all I have had is a few rumbles in January....which is still more than what others have had!!

Thunderstorms are my favourite weather and not being able to hardly experience any for the past couple of years at least has put a dampner on my interest to be honest. It's just been a case of chasing charts only to be disappointed time and time again.

Convective activity overall has been very low this year as well in my opinion? I guess with the cold Spring and generally more settled Summer this is why that is the case. I don't think i've spent one day staring at the radar this year hoping that the rash of 'popcorn' cells doesn't miss me.

Ah well..perhaps something may spark off this month/early Oct before the 'season' ends... but it's looking unlikely....so as you say...there's always next year...Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Yep Jane I must admit I'm extremely disappointed this year as I missed the storms in early August, so all I have had is a few rumbles in January....which is still more than what others have had!!

Thunderstorms are my favourite weather and not being able to hardly experience any for the past couple of years at least has put a dampner on my interest to be honest. It's just been a case of chasing charts only to be disappointed time and time again.

Convective activity overall has been very low this year as well in my opinion? I guess with the cold Spring and generally more settled Summer this is why that is the case. I don't think i've spent one day staring at the radar this year hoping that the rash of 'popcorn' cells doesn't miss me.

Ah well..perhaps something may spark off this month/early Oct before the 'season' ends... but it's looking unlikely....so as you say...there's always next year...Posted Image

I would usually say there is always Autumn lol. But not this time! If Summer can't provide what hopes are there for Autumn grrrr.  Let's see what next year brings LolPosted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

wow not one storm here, 2 rumbles is literally all i heard all summer, diabolical.