Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club (NSC) 2014 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I think it is time i entered this club now. Getting sick of hearing the north-east is the storm capital well not here especially not this spell. What i would give to see a convective sky never mind a storm. Whinge over

0.3mm of rain here today a awful lot less than was forecast.

Ditto. It's been so long that I've actually forgotten what a thunderstorm looks like on arrival - I have to keep checking YouTube videos to remind myself.

I also had a dream last night of a thunderstorm - the dream involved a very large storm near here, with lightning visible, but it never actually made it here. I can't even get thunderstorms in my dreams, let alone in real life!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Some places were just purely unlucky today. Plymouth and Wales seemed to get near enough nothing today. Seems like most places got at least a strike though.

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Just as in the winter with the snowfall coming up from the South, the storms seemed to follow a similar route and skirted right around this part of the NW.  There has been plenty of rain to the north of Preston.

Some places were just purely unlucky today. Plymouth and Wales seemed to get near enough nothing today. Seems like most places got at least a strike though.

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Says it all. We've had more thunderstorms in winter than in summer here in recent years. Definitely a summer storm shield in place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As it stands, Sandhutton had just three distant rumbles during that cold showery northerly at the end of April and nothing bar the odd rumble or two overnight yesterday, but I have finally got firmly out of the No Storms Club, for following a holiday in southern Ulster (Ireland) I stayed at a hotel in Dunfriesshire and unexpectedly woke up to a thunderstorm the following morning- rather odd that I had to go to western Scotland to get out of the club when North Yorkshire is traditionally more thunder-prone in the summer half-year!

Posted

Course you can.Posted Image  you can also rant and rave as much as you want.Posted Image  I was hoping most members would be out after last night! Still there's always tonight instead.Posted Image

I was thinking the same Jane. Am quite surprised that we still have a few members here given how widespread these things were. Although I think much of Wales was unfortunate. I should be technically out of here but I'm the tea boy/beer provider for the NSC so here I'll stay.

Not sure what time Solihull began to see the main early morning action but around 11pm/midnight on 21st July, I was watching distant lightning to my east from heat storms that had developed during the afternoon/evening. Then during the small hours, it all went BANG and especially at 07:58am yesterday morning when I was metaphorically thrown out of bed with one uber loud gunshot crack of thunder. Continued up until around 10:30am but not constant. Still technically a storm but not as intense as I would have thought given this long heatwave.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I have to say that I am a reluctant member of this club....

Posted

As it stands, Sandhutton had just three distant rumbles during that cold showery northerly at the end of April and nothing bar the odd rumble or two overnight yesterday, but I have finally got firmly out of the No Storms Club, for following a holiday in southern Ulster (Ireland) I stayed at a hotel in Dunfriesshire and unexpectedly woke up to a thunderstorm the following morning- rather odd that I had to go to western Scotland to get out of the club when North Yorkshire is traditionally more thunder-prone in the summer half-year!

Indeed - really annoying when places that typically have terrible weather  get more exciting weather than you.

Posted

19 years ago this very day.

Crikey, a time when French imports spread northwards across west of UK

The next day, I remember the thunderstorm breakdown coming in from the west.

its seems strange that since the BBC dropped those old graphics for the new rubbish blue splodges they use now. it co- insides  with less storms,Posted Image

also what was the difference between the larger lightning symbol with no black cloud and the smaller one with a cloud,  never  got that one.   I used to think it meant clear sky lightning which is nonsense of coursePosted Image

Posted

Posted Imageimage.jpg

lol. you can see the Cheshire storm zapper has been  active, click on the map to see a larger image and the void in north Cheshire is plain to see, just laughable , the lightning kicks off again as it enters lancs, what the hell 

and another place that storms avoid is St Helens, yesterday i had to leave a half decent storm here to go to work, as i headed to St Helens it was just light drizzle there. the folks said there was just a couple of distant rumbles over Wigan way.

Yes thats the storm I had to leave to come here and miss the best part, damn work

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

lol. you can see the Cheshire storm zapper has been  active, click on the map to see a larger image and the void in north Cheshire is plain to see, just laughable , the lightning kicks off again as it enters lancs, what the hell 

and another place that storms avoid is St Helens, yesterday i had to leave a half decent storm here to go to work, as i headed to St Helens it was just light drizzle there. the folks said there was just a couple of distant rumbles over Wigan way.

Yes thats the storm I had to leave to come here and miss the best part, damn work

Yep, welcome to my (storm free) world....How it managed to side-skirt virtually a whole county so perfectly is quite something!

Mid Warwickshire is the no storms club capital, trust me all the thunderstorms go just to my west or my east and we are always on the edge of them.

Loads of times relatives I have in Knowle tell me they get rain where its as dry as a bone here, rugby gets more also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Why is Norfolk mostly obliterated? There wasn't anything, not even a decent shower. Rapidly approaching August 5th when the year is up, I honestly thought it couldn't get any worse after 2012 but it has. The way things are going there'll be a 2 year anniversary......Posted Image

Posted

Many of my memories as a child and teenager consist of thunderstorms. During the early 2000s, when I was a teenager, we had countless night-time thunderstorms, too many to count on one hand. One memory in particular stands out when I was walking home from a park with some relatives, and a thunderstorm appeared - it was getting dark by that point and we were absolutely soaked - had to call my aunt to pick us up. When I got home, our lights flickered throughout the duration of the storm. 

Another one occurred, at night, think it may have been 2004, which was bad enough that everyone, even the teachers, were talking about it at school the following day. May have even featured on the local news, but I'm not sure.

I then have lots of memories of numerous night-time storms, but I don't recall them very well - I just have one still image of those storms, including one of myself as a young child (5-7 or so), clambering into my mother's bed because I was quite scared.. lol. Also have two memories of storms occurring while at school, which sent everyone into a frenzy. And then my first time seeing fork lightning.. well, my first memory of such an event. 

Just thought I'd share some memories of my childhood storm experiences, and how easily storms came here, how I would check the weather every morning, looking out for the word 'thunder', checking the skies in the afternoon to see if any cloud is bubbling up.. I took them for granted back then, in fact, I took them for granted as recently as 2 years ago, thinking they would have to occur at some point - we couldn't go an entire year without a single storm.. well.. that is not the case now.. something has happened, as 2012 was the first year I recall seeing no overhead storm, and 2013 looks to be following suit. Perhaps I was just lucky enough to have grown up during such an active storm period? Storms were more common than snow when I was growing up - they are the things that got me interested in weather to begin with, along with hurricanes and tornadoes. I have many more memories of storms than snow. Most people recall their first snowfall, whereas I recall my first storm. Most people have memories of building snowmen, whereas I have memories of running outside in the pouring rain with crashing thunder with my older sister, jumping in puddles, getting cars to splash us on purpose, and pulling up an arm chair to the window as the lightning flickers away during the night.. more than likely with my grandmother next to me, telling me to count the seconds between flash and crash..

Rambled on a bit there - weather gods, please take note - I will take 10 years of mild winters in exchange for lots of storms. Pleassseee! Posted Image

/end rant

PS -  I grew up in Leeds, but moved to Church Fenton not too long ago. 

Edited by cheese

Posted

weather gods, please take note - I will take 10 years of mild winters in exchange for lots of storms. Pleassseee! Posted Image

PS -  I grew up in Leeds, but moved to Church Fenton not too long ago. 

agree 100%  I do actually blame the colder winters for the decrease in storms, its not proven. but it does seem a funny coincidence, There are folks who want persistent -20c temps in winter and cool summers, but moan about lack of storms,  sorry you cannot have your cake and eat it. Lets hope this very warm summer is a sign that the climate is 'resetting ' itself  and we will get some mild winters ahead, gales in autumn, with warmer summers and those much missed thunderstorms and plentiful convective days

Just like the good old nineties, wishful thinking I know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The 1990s summers might have had more storms over certain regions of the country, but taking the UK as a whole, the decline in summer storms set in during the late 1980s, associated with the switch to generally warmer, drier, sunnier and more settled summers, with a greater emphasis on stable conditions.  Since then, we've moved into a phase of mostly unsettled summers but the unsettled weather has come mainly from successions of Atlantic frontal depressions, and thus hasn't resulted in a recovery in thunder frequency.

During the 1990s the only generally thundery summers, compared with twentieth-century averages, were those of 1994 and 1999, while most of the other years were below average, in spite of a scattering of memorable thundery interludes.  The months of July 1990, August 1993, June 1995 and August 1998 were remarkably thunder-free over large areas of the country.  I think the main reason why the 1990s are more fondly remembered is that there was a lot more in the way of warm/hot and sunny weather about.

The recent cold winters and cloudy, wet but relatively thunder-free summers may well be connected because both have resulted from a southward movement of the jet stream, and in the past there has often been a weak association between cold winters and cloudy wet summers.  However, I don't think there is much of an association with thunder frequency.  The summers of 1978-87 were generally more thundery than most recent ones, but the winters were generally cold and snowy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Some torrential showers and heavy rain but absolutely no thunder. Thing that annoys me is that places just slightly to the East and North to me are getting thunderstorms! I am expecting a thunderstorm today, and if not today then I expect one tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday at least. We are set for some storms later on though however it seems that London is getting SEVERE storms.

Posted

Some torrential showers and heavy rain but absolutely no thunder. Thing that annoys me is that places just slightly to the East and North to me are getting thunderstorms! I am expecting a thunderstorm today, and if not today then I expect one tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday at least. We are set for some storms later on though however it seems that London is getting SEVERE storms.

I was watching the radar like a hawk watches its prey late afternoon/evening yesterday when I saw this MCS moving up. Then from out of nowhere, and to my east as per usual, I counted 4 intra-cloud flashes of lightning and 9 rumbles of distant but audible thunder here in Solihull. Came out of nowhere.The main MCS coming up from Le Storm Hogging Froggieland made land into the south east but then like that magician Dynamo somehow disappeared. Posted Image

But from about 10pm onwards, intense rain from the main front moving north east. Not one sferic detected.

Which brings me to agree with TWS about the parallax shift (if any?) in our weather pattern. I'm old enough to remember when you had a Spanish Plume and a low pressure system (be it Atlantic or Bay of Biscay!) Storms would reach the mainland overnight and last for several hours.

Gone are those days. More your half hour effort pulse storms and even if frontal ones, not what they used to be. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

I cannot belive it, all showers went either too far east or west from my area!!! On the radar its like there is a big circle of showers, and im in the middle!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Well ain't that a surprise!!! Posted Image after being surrounded by a few storms today, as per usual  they decided to head off far away from my locationPosted Image grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm not even gonna mention about anything tomorrow.Posted Image

Posted

Still part of the club im afraid :( Had torrential rain earlier but no signs of thunder/lightning here, just now i thought finally its here but turned out to be a plane as it got closer, damn you whoever you are flying that

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Believe me the same happens here regards  planes lol.

Seen some gorgeous cloud scapes over the fields tonight and they looked so stunning and  threatening... but again nothing happened grrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Despite there being a thunderstorm in Wrexham today, unfortunately I am still in the NSC, as I have only got back from a week in Somerset as of 45 minutes ago, where nothing thundery occured at all.

To say I am gutted at the fact that a storm occured over my home town whilst I was away is something of an understatement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Well guys, it's been emotional but I have to leave you all..........

I'M OUT OF HERE!  Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well guys, it's been emotional but I have to leave you all..........

I'M OUT OF HERE! Posted Image

pfft. Still waiting for an overhead storm here. Could be waiting a while!

I was waiting for that one close crack of thunder during that downpour yesterday. It never came and the thunder was a couple of miles away.

Edited by CreweCold