Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club (NSC) 2014 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I've heard about three rumbles this year. But, you never know folks....it could be saving it all up for some really spectacular ones later on, who knows. Nationwide super cells and lots of all-nighters. Posted Image

More chance of hitting the EuroMillions jackpot than S Cheshire seeing any of that type of action!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Haven't heard thunder since the 5th August last year; nothing out of the ordinary these days it seems!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

There seems to be a lot more of us in here compared to this time last year.

Posted

Does  about 4 or 5 distant rumbles count ? Thats all I have had this year, It seems there are less and less storms as each year goes by, to the point were there will be a grand total of 0 in a rolling year, it was never like this in my 40 odd years of existance ,

last year was one of the poorest but I did see 2 decent ones , a night show of distant lightning and the odd distant rumble . This year I am doubting even that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I wouldn't say that counts Ian. From what I've read I think most people here class a storm as directly overhead or nearabouts with several flashes and bangs lasting more than 5 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Left the club in style today. Pretty early by usual standards of recent! French import Saturday morning started to deliver IC lightning around 2am on and off until 6am when things turned big style with 2 hours of torrential rain, ground shaking thunder and lightning. Some of the loudest thunder ive heard in many years. Also it must have been right over head with thunder right after the lightning. Really interesting and followed a muggy night and was followed then by another very warm day on Saturday. Very continental style and it seems Summer 2013 has got off on a much more normal vein - in fact id argue the most normal since 2006. French Imports regardless of the sea temperatures! Posted Image

6 hours of glorious thundery activity! :D

Edited by Blizzards
  • Like 2

Posted

Left the club in style today. Pretty early by usual standards of recent! French import Saturday morning started to deliver IC lightning around 2am on and off until 6am when things turned big style with 2 hours of torrential rain, ground shaking thunder and lightning. Some of the loudest thunder ive heard in many years. Also it must have been right over head with thunder right after the lightning. Really interesting and followed a muggy night and was followed then by another very warm day on Saturday. Very continental style and it seems Summer 2013 has got off on a much more normal vein - in fact id argue the most normal since 2006. French Imports regardless of the sea temperatures! Posted Image

6 hours of glorious thundery activity! Posted Image

Nice to know the Channel didnt fizzle it out, could bode well for mid/late summer if we get a northward tracking plume , just like those times in the eighties and ninties,  seems so rare and near on impossible now,

Edited by IanR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Not a cat in hell's chance today was my feeling this morning, and so it turned out.

Just to cap things off, it feels more like an autumn day right now with the temperature at a "scorching" 10.8c! Add on the rain and noticeable breeze.....flaming June it ain't....but then it's hardly a novelty anymore.

Posted

Checking in for another summer....................:lazy: :lazy: :lazy:

I'm here too. I'm ever present lol.

Posted

well I am now not a member, the first time for quite some time, maybe a year possibly longer?

Posted

well I am now not a member, the first time for quite some time, maybe a year possibly longer?

The last time I had what I could describe as a storm was 2 seasons ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

I'm here too. I'm ever present lol.

haha, hello again! Check out my shot from the top of Frodsham Hill before (in the regional thread)...........pretty much sums up our day eh!

Posted

haha, hello again! Check out my shot from the top of Frodsham Hill before (in the regional thread)...........pretty much sums up our day eh!

Seen it...same here, grey and bland nothingness.

Posted

Still nothing here, yet again it's all from Birmingham eastwards. What is it with Shropshire/Cheshire/NE Wales these days, most of the longstanding NSC members seem to be in this area. Never had a problem getting storms here pre-2007: but not one since August 2011!

• Like 3

Posted

Still nothing here, yet again it's all from Birmingham eastwards. What is it with Shropshire/Cheshire/NE Wales these days, most of the longstanding NSC members seem to be in this area. Never had a problem getting storms here pre-2007: but not one since August 2011!

Hit the nail on the head. Just seems like there's a giant void in this area. I can't explain it. The best of the instability always seems to have buggered off east by the time surface heating becomes sufficient to trigger something.

It's not like we're just missing by going through dry gaps.....the instability just isn't there at the correct time of day.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Hit the nail on the head. Just seems like there's a giant void in this area. I can't explain it. The best of the instability always seems to have buggered off east by the time surface heating becomes sufficient to trigger something.

It's not like we're just missing by going through dry gaps.....the instability just isn't there at the correct time of day.

We just don't seem to get deep convection in the warmer months round here; often I see towering Cu form over Wales and flatten out into Sc over Shropshire. Or equally often a line of Cb anvils to the east when we have clumps of Sc/Cu. Plus the cold front hitting warm air scenario never works these days either, it invariably gives boring St/Ns here while it kicks off further east. 

• Like 1

Posted

We just don't seem to get deep convection in the warmer months round here; often I see towering Cu form over Wales and flatten out into Sc over Shropshire. Or equally often a line of Cb anvils to the east when we have clumps of Sc/Cu. Plus the cold front hitting warm air scenario never works these days either, it invariably gives boring St/Ns here while it kicks off further east. 

I know, storms used to be 10 a penny this way. They'd often track up from the SW, up through Whitchurch then on into S Cheshire. Not any more.

Someone else on the forum (who used to work for the Metoffice IIRC) said that this storm track had been noted and was a common one. Not any more! I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the mean wind direction having shifted from more SWly to W'ly in recent years.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Thought I might be leaving the NSC this afternoon, but I'm just a little bit to far south...is there a No Rain Club somewhere? :)

Posted

is there a No Rain Club somewhere? Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

Suppose i better pick up my membership pack sit down in the corner and sob...

Posted

I'd love to come over all optimistic here and say we'll all get at least one stonking overhead storm this year but the following is far more likely :

* June comes to an end - the hardcore NSC members are still waiting - having endured at least one episode of having to watch the storms track east. Meanwhile someone from an area which has already experienced storms will come in here and pronounce something along the lines "Your turn will come...there's still two months of summer"

* July comes and goes.....another disappointment...one half-arsed plume event which only really affects the eastern side of the UK...the rest of the country sees moderate rain. NSC members are now chewing their cheeks in frustration, this not helped by FI charts which show storm armagheddon at 144 hours then disappear again...in addition, a member from the east comes in and proclaims "Your turn will come...we've still got August"

*August....a decent hot spell this month, with increasing humidity which becomes almost intolerable. Things surely must go bang...and indeed they do...in the east. Places like Lincolnshire, Tyne and Wear and the South East of England in general get a pyrotechnic show bordering on the spectacular resulting in mega crowing. The rest of us see heavy rain that is described by the MO as thundery but which in actuality fails to produce so much as a single rumble. The month end in a cool and unsettled manner.....Someone will come in the thread, someone who's probably witnessed at least 20 storms over the summer months, and will have the gall to have a go at us for moaning.

Jeez I hope this is wrong.

• Like 5

Posted

I'd love to come over all optimistic here and say we'll all get at least one stonking overhead storm this year but the following is far more likely :

.....Someone will come in the thread, someone who's probably witnessed at least 20 storms over the summer months, and will have the gall to have a go at us for moaning.

Jeez I hope this is wrong.

You just KNOW that is going to happen Posted Image

• Like 1