Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club (NSC) 2014 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Not a single overhead storm here last year, truly appalling, never had a year so bad for storms in my entire life. Saw some good storms in the vicinity though, one particular storm affected most of Leeds but this little area on the eastern outskirts totally missed out! Literally a few miles west and there was an absolute deluge. I like to think of it as nature's way of balancing things out - I do quite well for snow, so I can't do well for thunderstorms, too (straws are tightly clutched!). Posted Image

Ah, well, it can only get better, I suppose. Doesn't help that I've already missed out on a few thundery downpours though.

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

Posted

A few years ago it was snow that was rare and thunder was common, now its gone the other way for a lot of places, although lying snow is still not that common here, but niether are thunderstorms

Posted

I see way more snow than thunderstorms, definitely, thunderstorms were my favourite type of weather a few years ago though because they occurred so frequently it seems, but now I hardly see any.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I did OK for thunderstorms overall last year, in spite of Tyneside getting its biggest thunderstorms for over two decades just six days after I moved away from the area.

Not surprisingly, still in the NSC so far this year- rather early days though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I want out this year. I want at least one supercell storm. All night one with lashings of rain. :D

• Like 4

Posted

Roll on storm season not long to go now. Posted Image Let's hope 2013 is a good year. Good luck y'allPosted Image

Thank you Jane, we deserve a good season here especially.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Another May 9th 2008 would be a cracker for parts of SW, S, Central England and Wales. Best lightning display I have ever seen in my 23 years of living. The storm seemed to last for ages and I'm sure it lasted for a good few hours (approx 6/7pm-11pm I think!)

Purely for reference I have just found some charts of the synoptics that we experienced that evening. Since then I have waited and waited for a set up similar to this one. I apologise for any IMBYism this may cause. :p

Courtesy of: http://www2.wetter3.de/Archiv/archiv_dwd.html

The story :D

I remember during the day of the 9th it being quite a muggy cloudy day. On the 12z charts on the 9th, I'm assuming this was because of the front parked over us? The warmer air was to the East coming up from the continent. Notice the feature forming in the Bay of Biscay.

post-15172-0-25551900-1362143127_thumb.j

By evening this was when things started to get interesting. I was parked up outside the pub and remember it getting darker and darker with clouds forming right above and I'm sure even hints of circulation! Now I'm assuming this was from the fact the feature in the Bay of Biscay started slowly heading towards us. Shown on the 18z chart for the 9th.

post-15172-0-75731800-1362143424_thumb.j

Then followed the amazing lightning display. It lasted until late evening, which I guess the next chart shows where the system eventually moved back towards France, resulting with now a warm front slowly edging back west over us. By midnight in my area it had begun to calm down, but I believe the storms were still rumbling on in parts of the midlands and Wales. The 00z for the 10th shows this if I'm reading them correctly.

post-15172-0-39856700-1362143566_thumb.j

The 06z for the 10th shows it all coming to an end as the warm front was now over Western Wales at this time.

post-15172-0-15935900-1362143960_thumb.j

So in conclusion, if I ever see a setup similar to this coming my way again you'll soon see the convective thread being spammed haha. Hope you have enjoyed my excitement of meteorological Spring starting and my hunt for storms gradually increasing :)

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 3

Posted

Good storm in Leeds in May 2009 - I remember it well as it occurred at night (a rare occurrence nowadays) - well, convection started in the afternoon, the storm then appeared by late evening and continued into the night.

http://youtu.be/b7rn2hLh5fU

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Suppose it's time to renew my membership.

Last overhead storm we had was June 28th 2011 and before that was I think around the same time in 2009. Had quite a good night storm last year, but it was never overhead.

Let's hope 2013 removes the storm drought most of us have had. Would be nice to get a taste of the 90's back.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Well signing in ready for season, The storm that Chris K mentions above was a real thing of beauty here, I went to observe the storm from hill overlooking the Cerne Giant. Was mystical magic experience to see the Giant illuminated by the lightning. It was almost fluorescent,

This year have camera at the ready and hope for decent night storm,,,,,,,,,,,Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

I see the NSC is again open for business so I am going to renew my membership,I managed to get out of here last year with 2 storms in 1 day,was the first storm(s)I had seen in YEEEEARS and these were PROPER storms not these 1 flash 1 rumble things that some would call a storm lol,only wish I renewed earliar in the year as I would be out of here already as had a storm on 26th Jan!Well good luck all (SW needs it)and I hope you have some storms:)

• Like 1

Posted

I want out this year. I want at least one supercell storm. All night one with lashings of rain. Posted Image

And you live where exactly?

Not quite the middle of "storm alley" are youPosted Image

May this be the year your wishes come true.Posted Image

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted

Good storm in Leeds in May 2009 - I remember it well as it occurred at night (a rare occurrence nowadays) - well, convection started in the afternoon, the storm then appeared by late evening and continued into the night.

http-~~-//youtu.be/b7rn2hLh5fU

Quote "I think it's time for me to go, purp....."

Man or mouse, syndrome there Posted Image

Posted

And you live where exactly?

Not quite the middle of "storm alley" are youPosted Image

May this be the year your wishes come true.Posted Image

Thank you, Dorset. :) And I hope you get some cracking storms as well. I'll keep you updated. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

post-10773-0-54633700-1365182897_thumb.j

.....just saying Posted Image

Now if I had a penny for every flash of lightning...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Oh well, I'm back again for this year! at least we still have the summer to go yet grrrrr Posted Image

Get the booze stocked up please Phil lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
Thunderstorm may strike Gloucestershire tonight Posted Image Posted Image 

By The Citizen
Friday, May 17, 2013  FOLLOW  
A THUNDERSTORM could strike Gloucestershire tonight.

Weather forecasters say there is a more than 50 per cent chance of thunder and lightning and heavy rain at around 6pm.

​
Lightning strike

Temperatures are expected to hover around the low teens today.

Sunny spells will be interspersed with showers. with bursts of sunshine interspersed throughout the day.

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Thunderstorm-strike-Gloucestershire-tonight/story-19014881-detail/story.html

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

So last year was by most peoples standards a fairly un-thundery year, this year is looking worse so far! We had 8 full convective discussion threads by this time last year, today we're on two :( Think I need to move...

Posted

Yep, June & not one single flash or rumble so far this year. Very unusual. April & May usually have the odd heavy shower with a rumble at least. We just haven't had the normal synoptics that bring the heavy showers. It's a rarity these days to find winds from anywhere other than a point North of East-West. I suppose I'm alone, but I long for the return of "normal" UK weather, ridge-trough type. with a band of rain, followed by sunshine & showers, then a dry warm day or 2 before the next rain band!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

1st of June and not one shower that could even be described as heavy....let alone containing thunder and lightning.

Posted

I've heard about three rumbles this year. But, you never know folks....it could be saving it all up for some really spectacular ones later on, who knows. Nationwide super cells and lots of all-nighters. :D