Sign in to follow this  
M'Lady

In Memoriam

Former Aussie PM Malcom Fraser has died aged 84. Aussie PM from 1975-1983. Came to power controversially when Gough Whitlam was sacked as PM by the governor-general. Won three elections but lost to Bob Hawke in 1983.

Living in Australia at the time during his whole premiership, although I was young, his name I was familiar with.

Former Aussie PM Malcom Fraser has died aged 84. Aussie PM from 1975-1983. Came to power controversially when Gough Whitlam was sacked as PM by the governor-general. Won three elections but lost to Bob Hawke in 1983.

Living in Australia at the time during his whole premiership, although I was young, his name I was familiar with.

He became one of the good guys I think and he will be remembered for putting others before his own self interest. He turned his back on the Liberal party ( conservatives ) some years after leaving politics by being a public figure for liberal causes. He even shared a platform with the Green party on occasions in regards to asylum seekers. It takes a brave figure to publicly repudiate your own party like that, the theme being the Australian Liberal party's move well to the right of the political spectrum. Gough Whitlam once quipped that Fraser was becoming more 'left' than him. Fraser spent his political retirement working for humanitarian causes and speaking up when he felt his input could have some effect - whether this was to do with race relations, asylum seekers or environmental issues  ( unlike Hawke, Keating and Howard who followed who have spent their retirement making money in business ventures ).

Fraser died unexpectedly so it was quite a surprise, and just 6 months after Whitlam passed on.  

Lee Kuan Yew aged 91.

The founding father of the city-state of Singapore.

Misao Okawa's

The world's oldest person, who celebrated her 117th birthday less than a month ago, died early Wednesday in Osaka, Japan. Staff at Misao Okawa's nursing home said she died of heart failure, the Associated Press reported.5 hours ago

post-19153-0-39284700-1427893802_thumb.j

Bless her what a wonderful age :)

Hayley Okines, an inspirational young woman, who was willing to face the unkind glare of the media to publicize her medical condition in the hope that the funds she raised would help others with the same condition.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/hayley-okines-progeria-campaigner-with-the-body-of-a-100yearold-dies-aged-17-10154324.html

RIP the actor James Best who has died aged 88

Remembered as playing the bungling Sheriff Rosco P Coltrane from the Dukes of Hazzard

Edited by Weather-history

very, very sad news :(

probably the most iconic cricket commentator, and was a damn fine cricketer and aussie captain

Richie Benaud has died.

In the modern day sporting world the word "legend" and/or "icon" is used far too much, but...........

in the case of Richie Benaud these words are very appropriate.

A voice, for many of us, that is/was synomonous with cricket on the TV.

RIP Richie and when you enter the pearlygates i'm sure your greeting will be "Morning everyone".

well put BB

Very touching tribute BB. Cricket has got a hell of a lot duller now it's lost it's main player

Just saw. Another name from my child hood gone. R.I.P.

Crime novelist Ruth Rendell dies at 85

Reading her books has given me hours of pleasure over the years.

Another sad moment for Star Trek fans, the actress Grace Lee Whitney has died aged 85. She played Yeoman Janice Rand in the first season of the original series and in a couple of the films and other spin offs.

grace_lee_whitney_yeoman_janice_rand_v2_

Dick Balharry, one of Scotland's leading conservation campaigners, died last month. Damn. A good man.

I must admit I know nothing about him but reading his obituary the other day it was apparent that here was a very interesting and good man. I rather liked this ;

He became a trainee gamekeeper in his teens on an estate near Tighnabruaich on the Kyles of Bute. His role was to protect pheasants and to patrol the river for poachers. “In essence, I was charged with sterilising the environment of predators in order to maximise the number of birds and salmon available for guests,†he said.

When the landowner discovered that Balharry had brought his pet fox and a raven along with him, he was told that either they went or he did. Balharry left and in 1956 found himself a job as a deerstalker in Glen Lyon in Perthshire.

It is with the deepest regret that I have to inform you our dear friend and weather buddy Chris Mantle lost his short battle with cancer and passed away last night. Chris was a big part of our community on the SE & EA thread, for those of us that had the pleasure of meeting him in person at our regional get together events know he was a true gentleman, although some of us have moved on from Netweather I thought I would share the sad news as I'm sure there are still many here who will remember him fondly - RIP Chris x

Ali - aka MKSnowangel

post-10773-0-07248500-1433968490_thumb.j

Edited by Angelici Magiovinium

It is with the deepest regret that I have to inform you our dear friend and weather buddy Chris Mantle lost his short battle with cancer and passed away last night. Chris was a big part of our community on the SE & EA thread, for those of us that had the pleasure of meeting him in person at our regional get together events know he was a true gentleman, although some of us have moved on from Netweather I thought I would share the sad news as I'm sure there are still many here who will remember him fondly - RIP Chris x

Ali - aka MKSnowangel

It's quite shocking. He was a true gent. I only met him a couple of times, but you could tell that he was a modest and very pleasant man. Awful news!