Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

My old neighbour from long ago. You had a varied life Reg and we both escaped life in Weyhill Road.Posted Image

Tip of the hat to "Mr Andover"

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Actor Peter Gilmore dies aged 81.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21368095

As child I never appreciated the Onedin line, but having recently watched every single episode it was without doubt one of the best BBC series of all time. In no small part due to the brilliant Gilmore.

RIP!

Posted

As child I never appreciated the Onedin line, but having recently watched every single episode it was without doubt one of the best BBC series of all time. In no small part due to the brilliant Gilmore.

Always enjoyed the Onedin line! (or Won-din as Terry Wogan used to say!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-21368095

RIP!

i just came here to mention this, I have only just spotted the sad news.

Must be one of my all time favourite series, The Onedin Line.

Great characters, sets, costumes, and many story lines based on historical fact.

Loved the music they used for the theme tune too.

RIP Peter Gilmore.

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

A Well remembered series....RIP

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Just hearing that actor Richard Briers has died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21498077

perhaps best known in one of my favourite comedy series, The Good Life.

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Good Life star Richard Briers has passed away at the age of 79 after a long illness

The star, who was also known for his Shakespearean roles, had been battling a serious lung condition for a number of years. Briers, who starred in shows such as Ever Decreasing Circles and Monarch Of The Glen, recently blamed years of smoking for his emphysema. His agent said Briers died "peacefully" at his London home on Sunday. Briers will be best remembered for his performance as Tom Good, alongside Felicity Kendal, in the 1970s BBC1 sitcom The Good Life.

The show revolved around a couple who drop out of the rat race in Surbiton, south west London, to enjoy a life of simple self-sufficiency. In an interview carried out only weeks ago, the actor told how his health was failing after being diagnosed with emphysema five years ago, which he attributed to years of smoking, although he gave up 10 years ago. "I was diagnosed five years ago and didn't think it would go quite as badly as it has," he said.

http://news.sky.com/story/1053662/richard-briers-dies-good-life-actor-aged-79

R.I.P Richard you will be sadly missed

:(

Posted

i just came here to mention this, I have only just spotted the sad news.

Must be one of my all time favourite series, The Onedin Line.

Great characters, sets, costumes, and many story lines based on historical fact.

Loved the music they used for the theme tune too.

RIP Peter Gilmore.

B.

As a child holidaying in Dartmouth we quite often saw some of the filming taking place, esp at Bayards Cove in Dartmouth.

Posted
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Richard Briers was very good actor who of course best known for The Good Life, In 1960s starred in tv comedy "Meet the Wife" with a young Prunella Scales,, Followed by series called "The Brother in Law, He was a notable Shakespearean actor, Will be sadley missed,but "The Good Life" will remain comedy classic for many years to come

Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)

sad news about Richard Briers above...much to mine and my wife's amusement Richard Briers was the spitting image of her dad and Felicity Kendal is the spitting image of my mum!

Edited by cheeky_monkey
    • 2 weeks later...
    Posted
    Posted

Clive Burr, former Iron Maiden drummer, dies aged 56

Former Iron Maiden drummer Clive Burr, who played on the British heavy metal band's landmark first three albums, has died at the age of 56, the group said on Wednesday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/mar/14/clive-burr-iron-maiden-drummer-dies

Posted

Just been confirmed that Frank Thornton who played Captain Peacock in Are You being Served, and Truly in Last Of The Summer Wine has died aged 92

R.I.P Frank

Posted

Are You Being Served? actor Frank Thornton dies aged 92

Frank Thornton, who played Captain Peacock in BBC comedy Are You Being Served? has died at the age of 92. Thornton died peacefully in his sleep at his home in Barnes, London, on Saturday, his agent David Daly said. Also known for his role as Truly in Last of the Summer Wine, the actor also starred in comedies such as Hancock's Half Hour and The Goodies. Thornton is survived by Beryl, his wife of 67 years, their daughter Jane and three grandchildren. He appeared in several episodes of Steptoe and Son, which made him the most recurring actor in the series other than the main stars Wilfrid Brambell and Harry H Corbett. In later years, he had a role in ITV soap Emmerdale as Bert Dingle.

Thornton's film credits included Carry On Screaming!, Some Will, Some Won't alongside Thora Hird, Wilfrid Brambell and Ronnie Corbett, No Sex Please, We're British and Gosford Park. But it was his role as Captain Stephen Peacock in the long-running Are You Being Served? that he was best known for. With its innuendo-laden comedy and slapstick humour, the sitcom was a huge hit.

Ratings hit

Set in a department store, it also starred John Inman, Molly Sugden and Wendy Richards. Thornton played the pompous store walker, who bragged about his military exploits during the war and looked down on junior staff. Are You Being Served? ran from 1972 to 1985 and often attracted audiences of more than 20 million. Thornton reprised the role of Captain Peacock for the spin-off show, Grace and Favour, in 1992. His theatre credits included the West End musical Me & My Girl in 1984, for which he was nominated for an Olivier award for his role as Sir John Tremayne. Of the original main cast of Are You Being Served?, Nicholas Smith - who played Mr Rumbold - is now the only surviving cast member. Thornton's agent David Daly said: "I have been Frank's agent since 1986 and he has been the most wonderful client as well as being a great friend. He will be sorely missed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-21828965

Edited by Gavin.
    Posted

Still great stuff!

Frank played dead pan so well!

• Like 1
    Posted

James Herbert dies aged 69

Horror author who wrote bestselling books including The Rats is praised as 'giant of popular fiction'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/mar/20/james-herbert-horror-author-dies
    Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Very sad news, nearly the eve of the 60th Anniversary of the first ascent of the world's highest peak (and publication of his book, Letters from Everest)... and the last remaining climber from the 1953 Everest Team, New Zealander George Lowe, has died aged 89 in Derbyshire.

Raise a glass to him tonight, folks – and the rest of the team, now all so sadly gone.

Lowe played a crucial part in the party’s success, displaying phenomenal strength and stamina to ferry kit up to the South Col, just shy of the peak, from where his fellow New Zealander and friend Edmund Hillary, with Sherpa Tenzing Norgay, pushed on to the summit itself. Spending day after day at altitudes of more than 23,000ft, Lowe often had to wade through waist-high snow to ensure everything was where it needed to be.

http://www.telegraph...eorge-Lowe.html

He used to live not far from here in Elton..

Edited by Polar Maritime
    • Like 1
    • 3 weeks later...
    Posted

Tributes have been paid to Nobel prize-winning IVF pioneer Professor Sir Robert Edwards, who has died aged 87. His ground-breaking work led to the birth of the world's first "test tube baby", Louise Brown, on July 25 1978.

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted

A very brave and determined woman

Hillsborough campaigner Anne Williams has died after a battle with cancer. The 60-year-old, whose 15-year-old son Kevin died in the 1989 football tragedy, was one of the loudest voices during the fight for justice.

It was her campaign to get her son's inquest verdict of accidental death overturned that is credited with leading to fresh hearings for all 96 supporters who died.

Williams defied doctors' expectations to attend what was her last public appearance at the Hillsborough memorial service at Anfield on Monday.

• Like 2
    Posted

Richie Havens, singer, was born on January 21, 1941. He died after a heart attack on April 22, 2013, aged 72. I must admit I'm not that familiar with his career.

The most celebrated appearance in the long career of Richie Havens came at Woodstock in 1969. He was the opening act on the first afternoon of the festival of “three days of peace and musicâ€, which attracted almost half a million people.

The intensity of his performance was memorably captured in a film of the event directed by Michael Wadleigh: sweat pouring from his brow, his shirt clinging to his back, as he furiously strummed his guitar and sang Freedom in his rich, grainy baritone.

Posted

Shakuntala Devi, who died April 21st, aged 83, was an amazing mathematician whose calculations were so fast she became known as ‘the human computer’

Dubbed the “human computerâ€, Shakuntala Devi became famous the world over for her astonishing mathematical abilities. She could find the 23rd root of enormous numbers in seconds and she could multiply large numbers together at the drop of a hat.

Her skills earned a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records for solving, in a mere 28 seconds, the solution to the multiplication of 7,686,369,774,870 by 2,465,099,745,779 — a randomly generated calculation that she performed in her head in front of an audience at Imperial College, London, in 1980.

She also beat a computer in her speed of calculation when asked to give the 23rd root of a number 201 digits long at a university in Dallas. Devi took 50 seconds; the computer just over a minute.

Posted

George Jones, the hard-living country singer who recorded dozens of hits about good times and regrets, has died in hospital in Nashville aged 81 after a fever.

With his clenched, precise, profoundly expressive baritone, Jones had a series of No 1 songs from the 1950s to the 1990s and several hit duets during his short marriage to Tammy Wynette. His signature song He Stopped Loving Her Today has been voted the best country song of all time.

Thanks for the memories George.

• Like 1