M'Lady

In Memoriam

9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

RIP Ken Dodd

nintchdbpict000391533194-e1520823368824.

Indeed  One of my favourites    i have been to a few of his shows  and as many people will know  his shows always went on for hours.  one of my favourite gags (and there were many )     "I knew there'd be war because   I drove past Vera Lynn's house and heard gargling."     wonderful man. 

• Like 1

Comic Gary Delaney called him "one of the all time greats", and, referencing the fact Sir Ken's shows could often last for hours on end, added: "The funeral will be held on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday."

This made me smile and I think Ken would have too ..  :)  

B.  

• Like 1

very sad new about Ken, obviously an icon from my childhood. I think our 'comedians ' could learn a bit from these masters, never using verbal smut to get a laugh. I don't think we will ever see anyone quite him again, sadly.

R.I.P Stephen Hawking age 76.

• Like 2

Stephen Hawking not only a great physicist but also overcame disabilities. His name will live on

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

One of the World’s most magnificent wonderers.

Rest in Peace: Professor Stephen Hawking.

I took out a loan to pay for three overpriced tickets for the opening ceremony for the London Paralympics, for my children and me - purely because Professor Steven Hawking was hosting the introduction. It was the wildest show I’ve ever seen - and I confess: we all cried with wonder.

The world will remember him...

Edited by Che
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

03.jpg

I can only watch in wonder, Stephen, you would watch an understand.

Your name is up there with the best and your light will never fade. Thank you for the journey.

• Like 1

Bullseye host and comedian Jim Bowen has died aged 80

3 hours ago, frogesque said:

03.jpg

I can only watch in wonder, Stephen, you would watch an understand.

Your name is up there with the best and your light will never fade. Thank you for the journey.

Was that last night?  If so, it seems an appropriate send-off.

Stephen Hawking was born on the 300th anniversary of the death of Galileo. A link between the Renaissance Man of Astronomy and Physics who observed the 4 large moons of Jupiter with his telescope and the man who expanded our understanding of the universe.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Was that last night?  If so, it seems an appropriate send-off.

Sorry, no. It was a pic I took some time ago but it seemed right. Like Newton, he was a giant standing on the shoulders of giants. He was also a great humanitarian, a very rare combination.

Edit: there is however the chance of an aurora tonight. I'm sure he would be delighted if so.

Edited by frogesque
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Bullseye host and comedian Jim Bowen has died aged 80

What the *** its all starting again this year.

Remember Stephen hawking did a couple of adverts back in the 90`s.

A sad day when your idol passes away, I was genuinely upset this morning. To persevere and achieve as much as he did was amazing. Such a smart man with a fantastic sense of humour and his approach to life was something I always looked up to… and it’s something I bear in mind on days when I feel like giving up on everything.

The quote that always makes me laugh has to be in his biography where he mentions:

‘One of my biggest regrets was not having the opportunity to run over Margaret Thatcher’s toes’

R.I.P Stephen Hawking 1942-2018. That’s how you live a life.

Given that I've had a disability to deal with growing up and that I am also doing a PhD myself means it strikes a chord. If I achieve even a tiny fraction of what he has when I hopefully become a climatologist I will die a happy man.

• Like 2

He died on the anniversary of Einsteins birth .:shok:

• Like 1

Was quite shocked to see this yesterday morning, seemed so out of the blue. I've been a student of theoretical physics for the past three and a half years, and I still I can't even begin to imagine his level of intellect. So much respect for him. Sad to see him pass.

Stephen Hawkins was truly an outstanding man who has moved human knowledge on despite suffering from a condition which would have caused many to give to give up. 

His name will always be remembered amongst the giants of science. I have always been fascinated by his subject, though only able to understand most in the broadest of terms 

As a tribute I can do not better than to include this link which gives an insight into his character and motivation:

http://www.euronews.com/2018/03/14/stephen-hawking-best-quotes-from-a-man-dedicated-to-science?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=en&utm_content=stephen-hawking-best-quotes-from-a-man-dedicated-to-science&_ope=eyJndWlkIjoiN2ZmM2I0YmUyZTI2OTI5MzA4ZDZmMTA3M2YwODVmYzIifQ==

Perhaps he is up there now, or in some parallel universe, now able bodied and still continuing his research into this so fascinating subject, however the more we find out, the more we find there is to find out. To find all the answers really would take an eternity but that should not stop us from trying and advancing the knowledge of human kind.   

• Like 1

Baroness Dean of Thornton-le-Fylde, union leader, was born on April 29, 1943. She died of a suspected stroke on March 13, 2018, aged 74

Brenda Dean was the first female leader of a print union who was called ‘Judas’ by her own members after she tried to resolve the year-long Wapping dispute

Linda Brown, whose attempt to enrol in an all-white school led to a landmark US civil rights ruling, has died at 76.

Watching the Trevor MacDonald documentary on Martin Luther King the other night I was reminded how appalling things were in the southern states well into my lifetime. That is of course if one needed reminding.

Heartbeat actor Bill Maynard has died at the age of 89

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Heartbeat actor Bill Maynard has died at the age of 89

Grew up with Heartbeat every Sunday night...used to hate hearing that theme tune as I knew it was school the next day.

RIP Bill.

28 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Grew up with Heartbeat every Sunday night...used to hate hearing that theme tune as I knew it was school the next day.

RIP Bill.

Wasn't Bill Maynard also Selwyn Frogget?