M'Lady

In Memoriam

1,333 posts in this topic

Please use this thread to post your tributes to those famous people who pass away.

Feel free to add links and share memories of how they touched your life.

1 person likes this

With your permission our good Lady Penelope. May I be the first to begin please?

The late, great Tony Hart.

An inspiration to us all who are now in our very late twenties onwards...

If he were my art teacher back in my schooldays then maybe I would have taken the subject far more seriously but my art teacher at the time (1985/6) didn't give a damn.

I remember two lessons in particular when the tutor we had then was so laid back (half cut in other words. It's true!!) He just left us to our own devices so's to speak.

We did. We walked out and went home early as it was usually the last lesson of the day on a Wednesday! http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Phil.

{Quick edit : He once forgot his keys in his car. Oh boy! The stories I could tell you about my old secondary school, I could write a book about. Would make Grange Hill look dull.}

I can't believe this... John Martyn's gone and popped his clogs... I'm sat here listening to the music that's been the backdrop to all my life and the Man's never going to sing these songs again. How he managed to express so many emotions with his voice and a guitar is beyond me - his songwriting and musicianship were second to none. I got stoned for the first time listening to 'Big Muff', smooched for the first time listening to 'may you never', occupied the uni at Essex and he came and played for us all with Phil Collins... and I guess there'll be thousands like me. Now he's playing with some other stars...

It has been announced Bill Frindall has passed away - TMS will be without "The Bearded Wonder"...... RIP Bearders

Sad loss, I've been listening to him for 40 years. The font of all cricket knowledge. I met him a few times at cricket dinners, a very dry sense of humour and an excellent mimic in after dinner speeches.

Hope he's now enjoying a nice big chocolate cake with Johnners.

Legionnaire's disease, crikey.

Edited by Nick H
1 person likes this

Sad loss, I've been listening to him for 40 years. The font of all cricket knowledge. I met him a few times at cricket dinners, a very dry sense of humour and an excellent mimic in after dinner speeches.

Hope he's now enjoying a nice big chocolate cake with Johnners.

Legionnaire's disease, crikey.

Aye, quite shocked to be honest...I've listened to TMS since I was a kid, and Bill Frindall became part of the furniture over the years...As you wrote, he'll be having a cake with Johnners and a nice glass of claret with John Arlott........A very sad loss indeed

I'm gutted about Bill Frindall, absolutely gutted. I didn't have any inkling he was ill. He was a huge treasure trove of knowledge and inspiration, very much like I would inspire to be. Rest In Peace.

there is no doubt that Bill Frindall changed the image of Statistician from being boring and somewhat "grey" in colour to that of sunny, interesting and had become a cult figure, which was well and truly deserved.

he will be missed just as much, if not more, than Brian Johnston and John Arlott who in their own ways brought life to TMS, and of course.....cake.

thanks Bill, a million times over.

Yes, it's very sad news, sammie. I thought she was a really nice lady and a great actress.

I'm old enough to remember the 'Are You Being Served' series as well.

Naturally, I was too old to see the original runs of that, but I loved her in Are You Being Served? A true loss, her character in EastEnders was really well acted, given she had a heart of gold in real life!

Yup, a sad loss. Loved her in "Are You Being Served?" and of course at the totally opposite end of the spectrum in EastEnders. A fantastic actress who will be missed a lot.

Danny La Rue dies at 81

I remember seeing him years ago at some Birmingham theatre which name slips my mind at this time.

His original name was Danny Street but didn't like his surname so opted for the French equivalent which is 'La Rue'.

RIP.

Phil.

I suppose we are going to get all the conspiracy theories about Jackson's death now. I also suspect a multitude of bad taste e-mails to land in the inbox in the next few days.

A great pop star who's music will continue even though his life became a bizarre cartoon and a downward spiral. Who can forget the magic of 'Off the Wall' and 'Thriller' ?

Dear Farrah, every 70's schoolboys pin up, such a shame.

I managed to pick up on this with Demi Moores tribute to Michael Jackson, and has been overseen by many news channels in light of the MJ story.

But Farrah Fawcett has also passed away at the age of 62 years old, after losing her battle with Cancer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8118426.stm

Again, another Icon who I am sure will be sorely missed.

Sorry...can be deleted.

Just seen the other thread.

Edited by M'Lady
No need to delete it, SB1, I used my merging skills instead.

RIP Mollie Sugden and Karl Malden

Karl Malden was 97! He was in his 60s, when he did the Streets of San Fransisco.

Karl Malden was 97! He was in his 60s, when he did the Streets of San Fransisco.

and what a snoz he had!!!!!

So, who's going to look after Mrs Slocombe's pu55y now?

Not really rich or famous, but nobody will argue that he doesn't deserve recognition. Henry Allingham - the oldest WW1 veteran and the oldest man in the world - has died this morning aged 113.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8157128.stm

Not really rich or famous, but nobody will argue that he doesn't deserve recognition. Henry Allingham - the oldest WW1 veteran and the oldest man in the world - has died this morning aged 113. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8157128.stm

yes Nick, a true hero. i saw him last year at a ceremony and was amazed how bright and cheerful he was. he could recount a memory from way back with such accuracy and enthusiasm

RIP Henry Allingham

Obituary: Henry Allingham

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6958420.stm

1 person likes this

Not really rich or famous, but nobody will argue that he doesn't deserve recognition. Henry Allingham - the oldest WW1 veteran and the oldest man in the world - has died this morning aged 113.

Ditto... you dont have to rich and famous to deserve recognition.

I had in a tear in my eye to see him and his 2 colleagues make every proud effort at the last rememberance day service at the Cenotaph.

Edited by kar999

yes Nick, a true hero. i saw him last year at a ceremony and was amazed how bright and cheerful he was. he could recount a memory from way back with such accuracy and enthusiasm

RIP Henry Allingham

Obituary: Henry Allingham

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6958420.stm

I know, when it was his 113th birthday BBC News had a special report. It had him recalling memories with incredible detail considering they were nearly 100 years ago. Talking about how when he first saw the planes he knew that that was what he wanted to do. He always seemed in quite good health for his age, so thankfully he probably left us peacefully.

I was saddened to read the news of his death this morning. RIP Henry Allingham.