Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August 1992.

Guest pjl20101

Guest pjl20101

Hey forumites I was wondering if you guys remembered August 1992 as to me it was a total stinker of a summer month. However it did aliveiate the long drought between 1988-1992. I went to France that year and mostly the weather did nothing but rain, there were only 1 or 2 anti cyclonic days which wasn't enough. Shame really as June 1992 was nice.

• Like 1

Guest pjl20101

All that I know is it wasn't a pleasant summer month and in the rain it felt pretty chilly indeed. It very much ruined summer 1992 with the autumn following that was a pretty cold season especially in October.

• Like 1

Posted

I remember this month well; until the post-2007 era I thought it one of the worst summer months ever.

I remember it as a neverending spell of low pressure and fronts, there seemed to be only 2 or 3 dry days. There was no thunder at all that I re all, but several days that started bright only for rain to arrive in the afternnoon. There was also a horrid spell about the 13-14th when it rained constantly for over 24 hours with the temp around14C. It was an odd summer as May and June were oftn glorious, then July was pretty poor then this August.

For al that though, I think August 2008 was worse with its constant greyness and steady rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It was a very cool summer month at Leeds Weather Centre with an average maximum of 19.2C, but it was not exceptionally wet, with 71.9 mm of rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Statistically August 1992 was a very dull wet month in the south, but surprisingly, sunshine totals were generally near or above average from the north Midlands northwards. Due to the frequent frontal systems piling in from the Atlantic, it can't really have been a "sunshine and showers" type of month, so maybe it was a case of fairly generous sunshine in the drier brighter interludes in between the rain belts. However, the sunshine may not have felt all that pleasant given the frequent cool and windy conditions.

It was just before I started taking weather records, but I remember having a week's holiday from the 8th to 14th and having a mixed bag of weather until the 11th, a dull wet spell on the 12th/13th and then a sunny day on the 14th thanks to the following brief ridge of high pressure which came in from the west.

http://www.wetterzen...00119920814.gif

The thundery plume that Kevin mentions was probably the one on the 8th/9th. We had a brief build of pressure over the British Isles and then a thundery low headed up from the south. I remember reports of severe thunderstorms over parts of the Midlands from this event, though not everywhere saw the storms.

http://www.wetterzen...00119920809.gif

The end of the month was a washout for many with several deep autumnal depressions.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1992/Rrea00119920830.gif

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

1992 was the last August here without any day reaching 20c; the highest maximum for the month was 19.8c on the 21st.

It also holds the record for the lowest August minimum with 5.1c on the 31st.

It wasn't until I started looking at the records as a result of this thread that I realised, firstly; that it's also the second wettest August on my record with 138.9 mm and, secondly; what a huge gap there is between that and the wettest August on record which recorded 245.6mm in 2004. No other month has such a large gap between wettest and second wettest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

met office figures for bradford give...

1992 110mm

2008,2012,1986,1980 all close to 130mm

1966 161mm

1956 171mm

2004 189mm hadnt realised it was so wet

1954 190mm

1992 has 161 hours of sunshine compared to 91 hrs for aug 1954 and 98 hrs for 2008

i guess that is why i dont recall aug 92 as being more than ordinary2008 and 2012 i think 2008 was worse ,dire also 86 was bad too

• Like 1

Posted

Dont recall much about summer 92, but it was a poor one compared to 89-91. It preceeded a very chilly wet autumn. Oct 92 felt like a winter month. However the first three months of 92 were very dry. It was a mixed year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

May 1992 was the last in a cluster of hot and sunny Mays 89 and 90 were also hot and sunny..dont remember June 92 being anything to write home about..do remember Aug 92 though as that was then i bought my first car..a 1984 Mark 1 Golf.

Posted

It was the wettest August at Dyce between 1986 and 2010, with 110mm, but I struggle to recall much about it. Probably due to the fact it recorded near average sunshine of 162 hours.

It tends to be only the exceptionally dull months that stick in my mind as revolting, regardless as to rain totals, and August 1992 was sunnier than every August since 2006 and every one of the past 5 summer months.

Even the summers of 1993 and 1998, by far the worst summers of the 1990s, did not produce the protracted periods of excruciatingly dull weather, with gloomy grey skies day in day out, that we have seen in every single summer since 2005 except for 2009.

Edited by Richard2901
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

amazing how much drier leeds is compared to bradford,probably more again in the hills of halifax

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

August 1992 was a pretty awful month in the Midlands, the end of the month particularly being autumnally wild, wet and windy.

A brief warm, humid plume brought spectacular thunderstorms one night (of the 8th - 9th, I think), strangely accompanied by fog for most of the time. Quite a bizzare, tropical feel, with the strong forked lightning lighting up the fog and torrential downpours. smile.png

• 10 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Interestingly it seemed to be a month on a knife edge to much hotter weather. Blisteringly hot anomalies to our south-east.

image.thumb.png.169eee77d90581782ecf15148847ffd4.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

I remember being in St Helier on the night of 8/9th August and seeing distant lightning flickering to the north.  Apparently these storms were good over the mainland, being similar in intensity and area affected to the 18/19 July 2017 storms.

I also remember an autumnal gale on the Saturday night and Sunday of the bank Holiday, with thunder as well.  This was similar to that named storm around 10 August 2014, so quite potent.

A good June and July though before it I must add.  June very much so.