Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meto Uk Further Outlook

Stuart

Posted
7 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Do you only read the last sentence? That's the breakdown scenario.

"As we head further through February there is an increased chance of seeing very cold conditions developing with a greater probability of northeasterly or easterly winds. This will bring an increased risk of widespread, perhaps severe frosts as well as snow, especially in eastern areas."

Thanks for that and you're correct - its even worse than I thought then based on previous updates - around mid Feb !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Everyone saying mid Feb but the fact the mention of very cold weather has also appeared in the further outlook surely suggests nothing has really changed at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
6 minutes ago, cobbett said:

Thanks for that and you're correct - its even worse than I thought then based on previous updates - around mid Feb !!

It doesn't mention the Atlantic winning though does it ? The South MAY see milder interludes. Classic Mild cold battles.

They are cautiously predicting that there will be incursions IF/WHEN Very cold air becomes established.

You must also remember it is getting colder over next week or so aside from Friday over night

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I do not understand all the negativity concerning this update do you also read the further outlook thread, if not I have copied over the last sentence

"There is still a chance that even colder conditions may develop later in the period with winds swinging round to the east or northeast, bringing an increased possibility of snow".

Edited by Boro Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
1 hour ago, abbie123 said:

That’s a good update easterly with snow very cold 

That is correct, it is a good update because what has been added is:-

TODAY

"There is still a chance that even colder conditions may develop later in the period with winds swinging round to the east or northeast, bringing an increased possibility of snow."

YESTERDAY

"Snow remains a possibility to lower levels, particularly in the north."

The signal for E / NE winds is specifically mentioned today. - I call that an upgrade!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

It doesn't mention the Atlantic winning though does it ? The South MAY see milder interludes. Classic Mild cold battles.

They are cautiously predicting that there will be incursions IF/WHEN Very cold air becomes established.

You must also remember it is getting colder over next week or so aside from Friday over night

Yeah I know - just a bit of fun on my part

Posted
2 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

On to mid-Feb then. Suits me as i'm not in UK for first 10 days of Feb

Weather in Mexico is looking shocking for early Feb 

gfsna-2-312.png?6

Posted
9 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Weather in Mexico is looking shocking for early Feb 

gfsna-2-312.png?6

A few storms about (like last year), but right on coast, literally beach and hotels, tend to miss most of them. The rain seems to unload, literally, a few miles inland - well that is what happened most days last year.

Posted

It is actually cold right now and has been for several days, I still have snow In my garden from yesterday evening and the temp has hardly crept above 0c all day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

i got some weird altitude info on the Met O website

Princetown - Dartmoor - 412m above mean sea level

Okehampton - Devon - 408m above mean sea level

No way, i've walked up onto Dartmoor from Okehampton.. it's a steep climb

I've seen a lot of snow on Dartmoor, and back in Okehampton, they had a lot less, with a wintry mix

That info doesn't seem right

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

I've seen a lot of snow on Dartmoor, and back in Okehampton, they had a lot less, with a wintry mix

Stayed in a caravan when i was a kid in Oakhampton, this was up a driveway steeply but no way is it as high as saddleworth moor.

Posted
5 hours ago, stevofunnelcl said:

Okehampton is c. 150m so that Met Office info isn't accurate.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UK Outlook for Tuesday 29 Jan 2019 to Thursday 7 Feb 2019:

Cold with blustery wintry showers on Tuesday, these will be most frequent across western parts, although some central and eastern parts staying predominately dry with sunny spells. Wednesday will see a mixture of sunny spells and wintry showers, although less frequent and mainly confined to eastern parts. Beyond midweek, the unsettled weather looks set to continue, with further bands of rain and hill snow moving east or southeast across the UK, interspersed with brighter showery interludes. Snow remains a risk, mostly in the north, but perhaps further south too, and frosts could be quite widespread. There is still a chance that even colder conditions may develop during early February with winds swinging round to the east or northeast, bringing an increased possibility of snow.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

• Like 5

Posted

UK Outlook for Friday 8 Feb 2019 to Friday 22 Feb 2019:

This period will most likely start changeable and cold, with spells of rain and hill snow, occasional stronger winds, and brighter showery interludes. As we head further through February there is an increased chance of seeing very cold conditions developing with a greater probability of northeasterly or easterly winds. This will bring an increased risk of widespread, perhaps severe frosts as well as snow, especially in eastern areas. In this scenario the driest conditions will be across the west and northwest, whilst the south could see wetter and occasionally milder spells, bringing the risk of some significant snow, but only if very cold air becomes established across much of the UK.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Excellent.

• Like 4

Posted

I’m not liking the look of the wording “rain and hill snow”, but they do also say snow is a risk in the north, so I guess they are covering all bases. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Mention of rain in the south and hill snow in the north, check. 

Potential for snow and colder weather further into February, check. 

Usual caveats of covering every single base, check. 

Standard MO update that has been virtually the same and will continue to be the same, most of the time, during most winters.

At this point, actually viewing them is pointless. Nothing to be excited about, nothing to be completely doomy about.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..

Posted

Doesn't suggest widespread snow or many snow chances in the south despite the mod thread bulling next week up.

Posted

The very cold conditions mentioned in the 16-30 day outlook now creeping into the shorter time frame - its been a long long wait, but finally we might be able to see some northern blocking putting the breaks on the atlantic. Its still tentative, but I feel much more plausible happening in early February than at any stage so far this winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Deleted

Edited by Sky Full

Posted

UK Outlook for Wednesday 30 Jan 2019 to Friday 8 Feb 2019:

Sunshine and wintry showers on Wednesday, with these becoming more confined to eastern and perhaps southern areas. Otherwise, some sunshine around, before cloud and outbreaks of rain and hill snow will move into the west by the end of Wednesday. This will move east into Thursday, maintaining this changeable and at times unsettled and predominantly cold spell of weather. Snow is likely to lower levels at times, perhaps more so than during the cold weather so far as low pressure systems take a more southerly track towards Biscay, with overnight frost and ice remaining a risk too. There is still a small chance that even colder conditions may develop during early February with easterly or northeasterly winds dominating, bringing an increased possibility of disruptive snow.

• Like 4